• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Petition in support of Mikovits

barbc56

I do not support her. I do not support the WPI. If any other scientiest had done what she and Russiti have done, they would have been picked apart.

Let Science, the true science fall where it falls.

ETA

I should have guessed it's the IMEA starting this petition. So I am emphasizing my point above.

ukxmrv

I do not support her. I do not support the WPI. If any other scientist had done what she and Russiti have done, they would have been picked apart.

Let Science, the true science fall where it falls.

ETA

I should have guessed it's the IMEA starting this petition. So I am emphasizing my point above.

You are not making sense Barb.

What about Silverman and the VP62 contamination. That was much worse than any simple explanation and unimportant error in slides and labelling.

Why hasn't he been "picked apart"?

Boule de feu

Usually, I am a big supporter of any CFS initiative. However, this one is a tough one. Do we really know the bottom of the story, here?

I remember watching her on TV (a few years back) and thinking "Wow" if it could be so simple. She had a plan. She would figure it out in a couple of years... she was so sure of herself. I thought it was strange that she could make such a statement knowing that ME was a very complex disease... and that nobody had been able to crack the mystery.

I thought something was off.

So, for this reason, I will not sign this petition.

Aileen

We do not know all the facts. We are on the outside looking in and are likely missing all kinds of information that is already known. You must know that they are not revealing everything to the public yet. Lots of people from many different organizations are looking into this. Let the scientists sort it out. This is not the time for patients to get involved.

shannah

We do not know all the facts. We are on the outside looking in and are likely missing all kinds of information that is already known. You must know that they are not revealing everything to the public yet. Lots of people from many different organizations are looking into this. Let the scientists sort it out. This is not the time for patients to get involved.

I agree with Aileen. To send cards and letters of support and encouragement is one thing but to start petitions when we don't have all the facts is quite another. Has anybody thought to consult with Judy to see if she even wants this kind of patient involvement?

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Has anybody thought to consult with Judy to see if she even wants this kind of patient involvement?

Good point. I have supported JM's work and I appreciate her devotion to helping us find answers.

But I wonder if she approves of this petition and if it's in her best interest...? I have to think about it and get more info.

Nielk

I personally got very disturbed when I saw a signature saying " in Judy we trust".
How does one know that for a certainty about anyone? It's like making her bigger than life.
I'm not saying that I know for a fact otherwise. I just don't know anything as a certainty right now.
Did she work hard to find a solution for us? yes. Did Anette Whittmore work hard to make everything available to her to do her work? yes. Can I say one cared more about finding an answer than the other? no.
dor this reason, I am not comfortable signing this petition.

Lily

*Believe*
Unfortunately, I feel that this has been initiated to be as much of a slap in the face to WPI as to support Judy. I don't plan on taking sides and if I want to show support to either or both, there are other ways to do it.

I'm not at all certain this is in Judy's best interest.

justinreilly

Lily, I don't see it that way. I signed this because it is important for pwME that both Judy and WPI be able to continue as soon as possible with the least fetters possible. For Judy, this means having access to all her prior work. I do not favor one side over another; I do think we need to get more info to make a conclusion, which may not happen.

Overall, I really just hope that both sides work together in the best faith to make as smooth a transition as possible and that no energy and money is wasted on IP fights and litigation. If they did that, we all would win.

justinreilly

Lots of people from many different organizations are looking into this. Let the scientists sort it out. This is not the time for patients to get involved.

I assume you mean looking into HGRVs. The last thing we want to do is 'let the scientists sort it out.' If we have learned one thing over the last 30 years, it's that we have to watch the scientists like a hawk and make sure they do their job.

Lily

*Believe*
Lily, I don't see it that way. I signed this because it is important for pwME that both Judy and WPI be able to continue as soon as possible with the least fetters possible. For Judy, this means having access to all her prior work. I do not favor one side over another; I do think we need to get more info to make a conclusion, which may not happen.

Overall, I really just hope that both sides work together in the best faith to make as smooth a transition as possible and that no energy and money is wasted on IP fights and litigation. If they did that, we all would win.

I hope it works out that way too, Justin, but without knowing all the facts or whether Judy supports the idea of this petition, I can't feel good about signing it. Actually, even if I knew that she supported it, I'd question whether it's a good idea. I appreciate hearing your thoughts about, Justin. Thanks for posting.

Edited to fix weird formatting.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I just read this message from HK, on my FAcebook page:

"Great news From Dr Mikovits talk in Ireland yesterday!
(I'm quoting from Ian, who attended) The news is "that is that she gets to keep the grant money and the cell lines, and that she already has an offer to work at a Canadian institute. Which she says would be great because Canada will be an easier and better place to conduct research."

I'm hoping someone can verify this.

Enid

Delighted to hear this Dreambirdie - she's too good to lose - hope it's true.

shannah

Here is what has just been posted on FB when asked on one of the threads circulating the petition:

"Dr Judy has not accepted anything concrete at the mo as far as i know - she still needs the funding because it was raised specifically for her research which she is intending to continue. The WPI really should not keep it imo. I am sure a patient statement is coming out soon but do not quote me on that. That is all i know after the Tullamore Conference at the weekend where Dr Judy was an excellent speaker."