• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High MCHC - macrocytic anemia

kday

Anybody ever get this? I stopped folate since I ran out but continued to take B12 since it helped on it's own.

I read this can be caused by Folate or B12 deficiency. So should going back on L-methylfolate again correct this? I have never had this out of range high.

merylg

A high MCHC is only found in spherocytosis. MCHC can be artifactually raised where there is too little blood in relation to the anticoagulant in the tube.

Ref: Diagnostic Haematology, Norman Beck Springer London, 2009 p. 215

MCHC rarely exceeds 360 g/L in health and disease. Sometimes when cold agglutinins are present in a sample, an electronic analyser may count two cells as one, giving a false macrocytosis, which then gives rise to a spuriously high
MCHC. Sometimes this can be eliminated by pre-warming the sample to 37 deg C before analysis.

Vegas

A high MCHC is only found in spherocytosis. MCHC can be artifactually raised where there is too little blood in relation to the anticoagulant in the tube.

I don't think this statement is accurate. It is my understanding that elevated MCHC can also be associated with folate and cobalamin deficiencies, even though this is not the usual presentation. I've had elevated MCHC and I don't have spherocytosis. I suppose the results could have been artifactual, but judging from my response to B12 and folate and my mother's history of B12 deficiency confirmed via Schilling's test, I'm guessing there is something to these abnormal MCHC's findings and their relationship to the B vitamins.

P.S.: Iron supplements cause me extreme fatigue; I presume someone with high MCHC would experience this given the concentration of iron in their blood.

Cindi

High MCHC does not always mean macrocytic anemia. What was your Hb? MCV? RDW?
best wishes

Sparrow

I've had an unexplained elevated MCV and MCH since getting really ill, but my MCHC was in the usual range. If you're thinking it could be related to B12 and folate, it might be worth a trial run of methylfolate and a re-check of your levels in a few months. ...Might not mean for sure that was the problem, but it probably can't hurt if you tolerated it okay before. If anyone is going to be the one weird case of something, I'm willing to believe it would be someone with this illness. :)