• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chase Community Giving Contest for Small Non-profits Coming Soon--$3MM in Prize Money

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
From the Rules--the link to Rules for Fall 2011 Contest can be found at the bottom of the CCG page.
Eligibility

The Program is open to all Participants who allow "Access" and "Like" the Chase Community Giving application on the Facebook platform and abide by these Program Rules. In order to be eligible to receive a donation through the Program, a Charity must:

* be recognized as a 501(c)(3) public charity in the Guidestar database as of 12/31/10 and be available for selection through the Chase Community Giving application as of 10/26/11;
* be a 501(c)(3) public charity and not be subject to any U.S. sanctions;
* have annual operating expenses of less than $1,000,000 based on most recent IRS filings or otherwise substantiated through audited financial statements;
* be listed in IRS Publication 78;
* not be designated by the IRS as a private foundation;
* not have been awarded any grants through a previous Chase Community Giving program;
* not be a primary educational institution (K-12) or post secondary educational institution providing at least two or four year degrees or an associated alumni association, fraternity or sorority except to the extent they are organized as an independent 501(c)(3) meeting the eligibility requirements of these Program Rules; and
* use all of the grant received from the Program to promote or benefit one or more of the following categories: arts and culture, education and youth development, environment, animal welfare, health and social services, community development, medical research and awareness, recreation and sports, and international development.

There's nothing here that says we have to apply to be in the Contest....We are listed in both Guidestar and IRS publication 78, we are not a private foundation, have not been awarded any grants, pay taxes, etc.

We fit all the parameters.....

If it happens that we had to submit PR to be in the contest it's just going to very painful...as we have been waiting for this contest for a year, got ourselves in Guidestar partially in order to be in the contest. We were also instrumental in helping PANDORA win last year......I can find a link to submit an organization for Future contests but I was completely unaware of the need to actually submit PR if that was what was necessary...We shall see.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Cort, I finally found cfsknowledgecenter at Chase. You have to enter it as one word. I cannot find the VT CFIDS Assn. or O.F.F.E.R. I have notified Dr. Bateman to see if she can check into it. I guess we need to notify VT, too.

Thanks....glad to see CFSKnowledgeCenter in there. No, I can't find OFFER (Organization for Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Research) in there either. They are in Guidestar. I sent in a query to Chase asking to put them in.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder

Dolphin

FWIW, I think I recall voting for New Jersey CFS Association in a previous Chase contest.
I think you have to win in order to be excluded but that does suggest that they were in there before and are not now.

Mass CFIDS is not in there either - although they are in Guidestar http://www2.guidestar.org/organizations/04-3014644/massachusetts-c-f-i-d-s-association.aspx

I have submitted a request that they be included as well.
Yes, but that doesn't mean I didn't vote for them.

This post http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?5668-Very-important!&p=93849&viewfull=1#post93849 pretty much proves (to me) they were there in 2010:
frenchtulip, great idea. if you like, make also commercial for these organisation - they have around 30 votes - its not too much but with better commercial it can work:
NATIONAL CFIDS FOUNDATION, INC.
AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME INC
NEW JERSEY CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME ASSOCIATION INC 11

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Yes, but that doesn't mean I didn't vote for them.

This post http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?5668-Very-important!&p=93849&viewfull=1#post93849 pretty much proves (to me) they were there in 2010:

My mistake -I checked again; they are in there.

So are those other groups....Maybe someone entered them in the contest in the contest at some point and no one ever entered Phoenix Rising? I don't know.....I cannot account for our not being in there (yet).

The Chase Community Contest was one reason we BECAME a non-profit!

frenchtulip

My mistake -I checked again; they are in there.

So are those other groups....Maybe someone entered them in the contest in the contest at some point and no one ever entered Phoenix Rising? I don't know.....I cannot account for our not being in there (yet).

The Chase Community Contest was one reason we BECAME a non-profit!

Cort, did you find this special form in the FAQ's for charities to use to contact Chase about why they are not listed? https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/marketing/page/124622_add_charity

And I looked and looked and could not find any mention of an application process. I don't think there is one. The last Chase contests had a number of nonprofits that got few or no votes. I don't think that many organizations would have bothered to apply and then done virtually nothing to rally votes. I think this time a few nonprofits have been overlooked. Hopefully, Chase can get it straightened out. Marly would know for sure about whether there is an application process since they participated and won the first time.

--------------
I went back to the special form mentioned above: It says: We have done our best to involve every qualified local charity in Chase Community Giving. However, it is possible that your charity meets our eligibility requirements and has not been made a part of the program. While we will not be accepting requests for charities to be added to this round of Chase Community Giving, you can still submit your charity for future rounds.

This just makes me sick! I am going to do a few more "creative" searches for PR, OFFER, and VT CFIDS and hope like heck I find them!

*GG*

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Cort, did you find this special form in the FAQ's for charities to use to contact Chase about why they are not listed? https://www.chase.com/ccp/index.jsp?pg_name=ccpmapp/shared/marketing/page/124622_add_charity

And I looked and looked and could not find any mention of an application process. I don't think there is one. The last Chase contests had a number of nonprofits that got few or no votes. I don't think that many organizations would have bothered to apply and then done virtually nothing to rally votes. I think this time a few nonprofits have been overlooked. Hopefully, Chase can get it straightened out. Marly would know for sure about whether there is an application process since they participated and won the first time.

--------------
I went back to the special form mentioned above: It says: We have done our best to involve every qualified local charity in Chase Community Giving. However, it is possible that your charity meets our eligibility requirements and has not been made a part of the program. While we will not be accepting requests for charities to be added to this round of Chase Community Giving, you can still submit your charity for future rounds.

This just makes me sick! I am going to do a few more "creative" searches for PR, OFFER, and VT CFIDS and hope like heck I find them!

Thanks Tulip. I think you may be right about the fact that they may just have missed us. I have and a friend have sent in several requests to be included; there is a form for that and that form does suggest we could get in there. It makes me wonder if Chase simply didn't update their Guidestar or IRS database since Dec of last year when we were officially accepted as a non-profit. I think we got into Guidestar shortly thereafter.

Nielk

Hi Cort,

hope that it's not too late and that we can still get in.
I'm also not upset at all that you didn't reply to my private message from last week.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Thanks Cort and FrenchTulip for all your work on this :Retro smile:

I sure hope PR and OFFER and the VT association make it in!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I found out why we're not in there. Chase states we had to be entered into the Guidestar database by Dec 31st, 2010 (11 months ago!) in order to get in. Our certification from the IRS came in mid December (although it dated back to Aug) and, although I can find any records, it appears we didn't get into Guidestar until some time in 2011.

It appears that they update their records just once a year. :Sign eek

Oh well - we will try to get other organizations some money.

frenchtulip

Thanks, Cort. Well, I am very disappointed, but we will push for other groups this time. Meanwhile, we can be looking for other opportunities for these three organizations. When Chase has its next contest for small profits, we will be all ready to go with PR, OFFER, and VT CFIDS!

Aileen

Too bad about those 3 organizations. Besides cfsKnowledgeCenter, do we know who else is in it? I'd appreciate a list. It is getting close to voting time and we need to start to promote it but need a complete list first so people can vote just once.

Tuha

regarding the experiences from the last year I would propose to make a list with 10 organisations for which we will vote (because each person will have 10 votes). then we could star to promote them.

the last year the voting was really chaotic and thats why we were able to win money only for 1 organisation (Pandora). there were more than 20 Me/cfs organisations for which we could vote. There was not really a strategy so everyone voted for another organisation, only few person used all their votes and only Pandora got really attention - the other organisations got only few votes.
so thats why I would propose to chose 10 organisations and then to start to promote them.

there will be surely more than 10 Me/CFS organisations so if it will be difficult to find a consensus which ones to chose - then we can maybe do a poll for which organisations we will vote and we will take the organisations with the most votes.
I think without this we will have the same difficulties like the last year.