• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chase Community Giving Contest for Small Non-profits Coming Soon--$3MM in Prize Money

frenchtulip

The new Chase Community Giving Contest for smaller non-profits is coming soon. There will be $3MM given to 100 small non-profits. Voting begins Nov. 8th. I saw this info on Chase's American Giving Contest page on Facebook after I had voted. Round one of the AGC is now closed and the only info remaining about the upcoming CCG contest is that ". . . $3MM more will be given away this fall" [in addition to the American Giving Contest money of $2MM]. I will be watching for more info on Facebook's Chase Community Giving page. I hope a number of our smaller non-profits can win money.

frenchtulip

Information for the upcoming Chase contest for small nonprofits has been posted. http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/ There is a link to 2011 Program Rules at the bottom of the page. It looks like we each get 10 votes--one vote per charity. So we could vote for 10 different ME/CFS nonprofits. Hopefully, we can win money for several.

frenchtulip

Does anyone know whether Simmaron Research has 501 (c) 3 status? If so, they might be interested in the Chase Contest.

frenchtulip

A previous winner said that it is very important for a participating nonprofit to complete the Profile Page ASAP. Profile Pages will be accessible on Oct. 26th. Voting begins Nov. 8th.

frenchtulip

The Chase Community Giving site can now be searched to see which charities will be participating in the upcoming contest.

Tuha

do we have a strategy for which charities we will vote and how to get more people to vote? it will start soon so we should start to think about.

frenchtulip

Tuha, I am working to compile a list of participating ME/CFS/CFIDS organizations to have available to make the voting process a little easier. I don't know that we have a strategy. Should we have a strategy? I do see some ME/CFS organizations listed at Chase and wonder if they are still in existence. We want to be sure that whichever organizations we vote for actually still exist. We don't want to waste any votes.

*GG*

I think it would be good to have a list together, I think I have seen it compiled somewhere, of all the money that has been won!

I think this would help to "motivate" people to possibly vote, I realize that some people are worse off than me physically (and have been through a lot in their years and years of illness, and probably feel very defeated) and could probably use a little more reason to vote!

GG

shannah

I think it would be good to have a list together, I think I have seen it compiled somewhere, of all the money that has been won!

I think this would help to "motivate" people to possibly vote, I realize that some people are worse off than me physically (and have been through a lot in their years and years of illness, and probably feel very defeated) and could probably use a little more reason to vote!

GG

There is a list of winnings here. It doesn't include the matching funds that were raised by the community of several thousands of dollars.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...-s-Winnings-in-Online-Contests-List-in-post-2

shannah

I know Dr. Enlander is looking for research money for the GcMaf treatments.

He mentions that he is on the faculty of the Mount Sinai Med School which is a non profit and donations can be designated as "gift for ME/CFS research (Enlander)".

But I don't think this would meet the qualifications for Chase. Perhaps someone who knows more about it could comment on this.

I can't help but wonder if some of our ME researchers and organizations knew that significant funds were potentially available to them through these means, if they would set up non profits in a way that would qualify.

Dolphin

Information for the upcoming Chase contest for small nonprofits has been posted. http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/ There is a link to 2011 Program Rules at the bottom of the page. It looks like we each get 10 votes--one vote per charity. So we could vote for 10 different ME/CFS nonprofits. Hopefully, we can win money for several.
It may not be the optimum strategy to use up all 10 of your votes in this way. Last time, what a lot of groups did was "I vote for you, will you vote for me". When one votes, one can post in that charity's feed - that's the only way one can post in there - one then gets to appeal to other voters. There were also pacts between different groups (not all for the same condition).

Nielk

I'm not sure how this works but, don't the charities have to apply to them to be listed?

frenchtulip

I see the Enterovirus Foundation is listed when you search the Chase site

https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/

but for those familiar with all the details of the rules, are there any other qualifications that must be met by the non profit to qualify?

From the Rules--the link to Rules for Fall 2011 Contest can be found at the bottom of the CCG page.
Eligibility

The Program is open to all Participants who allow "Access" and "Like" the Chase Community Giving application on the Facebook platform and abide by these Program Rules. In order to be eligible to receive a donation through the Program, a Charity must:

* be recognized as a 501(c)(3) public charity in the Guidestar database as of 12/31/10 and be available for selection through the Chase Community Giving application as of 10/26/11;
* be a 501(c)(3) public charity and not be subject to any U.S. sanctions;
* have annual operating expenses of less than $1,000,000 based on most recent IRS filings or otherwise substantiated through audited financial statements;
* be listed in IRS Publication 78;
* not be designated by the IRS as a private foundation;
* not have been awarded any grants through a previous Chase Community Giving program;
* not be a primary educational institution (K-12) or post secondary educational institution providing at least two or four year degrees or an associated alumni association, fraternity or sorority except to the extent they are organized as an independent 501(c)(3) meeting the eligibility requirements of these Program Rules; and
* use all of the grant received from the Program to promote or benefit one or more of the following categories: arts and culture, education and youth development, environment, animal welfare, health and social services, community development, medical research and awareness, recreation and sports, and international development.

frenchtulip

Phoenix Rising is a non-profit and it is not listed. I am trying to determine why. Neither, so far as I can tell, is the CFS Knowledge Center or Vermont CFIDS.
Cort, I finally found cfsknowledgecenter at Chase. You have to enter it as one word. I cannot find the VT CFIDS Assn. or O.F.F.E.R. I have notified Dr. Bateman to see if she can check into it. I guess we need to notify VT, too.

frenchtulip

It may not be the optimum strategy to use up all 10 of your votes in this way. Last time, what a lot of groups did was "I vote for you, will you vote for me". When one votes, one can post in that charity's feed - that's the only way one can post in there - one then gets to appeal to other voters. There were also pacts between different groups (not all for the same condition).

That is true, Dolphin. I remember the WPI seemed pretty successful in trading votes with a group or two in FL. Maybe we should save a couple of our votes to use in this manner. Maybe we should figure out a strategy.

frenchtulip

I'm not sure how this works but, don't the charities have to apply to them to be listed?
Nielk, I looked and looked for an application or nomination procedure. But then I realized that Chase includes most of nonprofits listed at Guide Star. There are certain other eligibility requirements that must be met, too.