• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Zinc's role in the brain

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Here's some diversionary information.

Zinc's role in the brain: Research gives insight into 50-year-old mystery

Zinc plays a critical role in regulating how neurons communicate with one another, and could affect how memories form and how we learn. The new research, in the current issue of Neuron, was authored by Xiao-an Zhang, now a chemistry professor at the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC), and colleagues at MIT and Duke University.

Researchers have been trying to pin down the role of zinc in the brain for more than fifty years, ever since scientists found high concentrations of the chemical in synaptic vesicles, a portion of the neuron that stores neurotransmitters. But it was hard to determine just what zinc's function was.

In the new work, the researchers designed a chemical called ZX1 that would bind with zinc rapidly after it was released from the vesicles but before it could complete its journey across the synapse. Using the chemical, they were able to observe how neurons behaved when deprived of zinc.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-10-zinc-role-brain-insight-year-old.html

alex3619

Hi RustyJ, according to the article the research shows that zinc is needed for something called long term potentiation. IIRC this is important because it helps keep two neurons active for a long enough time that they can build the connection between them - I hope I am right but its been a decade and a half since I researched this area. Bye, Alex

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Hi RustyJ, according to the article the research shows that zinc is needed for something called long term potentiation. IIRC this is important because it helps keep two neurons active for a long enough time that they can build the connection between them - I hope I am right but its been a decade and a half since I researched this area. Bye, Alex

Many PWME have low zinc levels, so it could be a useful addition to the truckload of vitamins people are already taking. I am taking it as part of Fredd's protocol. I had a bad reaction to it so had to titrate up.

Sparrow

I had a bad reaction to it so had to titrate up.

I had trouble with zinc too, and have had to go very slowly. Was getting majorly dizzy from much lower doses than is supposed to cause that. I wonder if that's common for us...