• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This Requires A Very Good Explanation

dipic

This went to Science and should have been embargoed until the investigation with the authors. It is valid. I suggest contacting Mikovits for the validation if you have any doubts. This is just the tip of the iceberg. That is why I said I am privy to information that is confidential that others don't have and were merely speculating on.

Eco
Oh, that so? I wonder who you might be then, Mr./Ms. Ecoclimber.

Doogle

Honestly, I don't understand all this "them over at that forum vs. us in this forum" mentality. Hurling accusations at each other is futile. What's done is done.

We're all in the same boat. IMO we need to support each other and intelligently and respectfully discuss the best way to support whatever will find a cure for OUR illness.

If we divide into quarreling factions we just give up our power to the Wessely and Reeves groups. So stop it, please. :Sign Peace:

Bob

And all we have are your completely unsubstantiated claims to all kinds of inside knowledge.

I'm convinced that ecoclimber has inside knowledge about the end of the world. I think that's why he keeps telling us not to give up hope.

V-99 is not posting here. Please leave your arguments with people on another forum at that forum.

I totally agree.

Many of us don't go over to the other forums, for various reasons.

So it's quite painful for us to have to watch arguements from the other forum played out on this forum.

It's totally inappropriate to bring personal arguements over here.

We don't know what you are talking about, and we aren't interested.

I'm blown away at the combativeness of the whole situation. What is going on here would never fly in the private business sector. It seems to me the situation is more like war than collaboration.

If this were a genuine effort to help ME/CFS patients and prevent disease, this whole situation would have been handled totally differently. A simple email to Judy would have worked for this slide mix up and that would be the end of it.

How this situation has been handled should be extremely embarrassing to not only Abbie Smith, but the anonymous scientist feeding Abbie such stuff and endorsing this behavior. The dean at University of Oklahoma should also be embarrassed at this kind of non-sense.

This situation is beyond ridiculous.

dipic

I'm blown away at the combativeness of the whole situation. What is going on here would never fly in the private business sector. It seems to me the situation is more like war than collaboration.

If this were a genuine effort to help ME/CFS patients and prevent disease, this whole situation would have been handled totally differently. A simple email to Judy would have worked for this slide mix up and that would be the end of it.

How this situation has been handled should be extremely embarrassing to not only Abbie Smith, but the anonymous scientist feeding Abbie such stuff and endorsing this behavior. The dean at University of Oklahoma should also be embarrassed at this kind of non-sense.

This situation is beyond ridiculous.
I would "Like" the hell out of this post, but it tells me that I "must have atleast 10 posts before being able to rate posts", despite being well over that. Might as well considering it's been ages since I stopped posting here.

Sing

I would "Like" the hell out of this post, but it tells me that I "must have atleast 10 posts before being able to rate posts", despite being well over that. Might as well considering it's been ages since I stopped posting here.

dipic, I "liked it for you--well, also for myself because I do. Hey, welcome back!

Firestormm

3 October 2011: http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/chi-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-paper-10032011,0,6792877.story

Manipulation alleged in paper linking virus, chronic fatigue syndrome

Extracts:

'The report included a figure purporting to depict lab test results from seven blood samples, including two from chronic fatigue syndrome patients whose blood appears to show evidence of XMRV and five from healthy people whose blood does not.

But the leader of the team that authored the 2009 paper, researcher Judy Mikovits, apparently presented the same figure -- carrying different labels and supporting a different point -- in a talk given at a conference on Sept. 23 in Ottawa.

A copy of her PowerPoint presentation circulating among an email group also reveals an apparent third version of the image, with a third set of labels, when formatting is turned off.

"As is our policy in cases of alleged figure manipulation, we will follow up with the research authors as soon as our own review of the allegation is complete," the editors of Science wrote in a statement. "In particular, we will request additional information from the authors as one of the next steps."'

'Institute president Annette Whittemore said in a statement that the institute was also looking into the allegations.

"It is our understanding that some patient ID numbers may have been changed to a new set of coded numbers during the research to protect their privacy before publication," Whittemore said. "We will work with Science in hopes of addressing their concerns and to gain a full understanding of the cause of any potential discrepancies."'

Angela Kennedy

Honestly, I don't understand all this "them over at that forum vs. us in this forum" mentality. Hurling accusations at each other is futile. What's done is done.

We're all in the same boat. IMO we need to support each other and intelligently and respectfully discuss the best way to support whatever will find a cure for OUR illness.

If we divide into quarreling factions we just give up our power to the Wessely and Reeves groups. So stop it, please. :Sign Peace:

Thank you for this doodle.

And I hope you notice I HAVE NOT SLUNG accusations at anyone. I was involved in a serious debate with people. That was derailed by some egregious attacks on my integrity by the likes of ecoclimber and kjm.

SOC- what forum rule-breaking do you think I've engaged in exactly?

I will also say that, on this forum, it seems certain people are fair game when it comes to flaming. The civilised tone police go very quiet when these people become victims of this.

Now- that would be fine. I can defend myself. It's when THEN I or others become 'disciplined' for retaliating or defending oneself (sometimes- not given a reason! Just told if one doesn't understand then they clearly should not be on this forum) that the inconsistency rankles.

Moderator: forum rules state:

If you come across posts that you find objectionable...report the post...Do not respond to such topics yourself.

Please comply with the rules. Failure to report may result decreased moderation because we can't read everything.

Firestormm, I think this report is just sensationalism. I dont like seeing it here. Do we need to publicise this rubbish?

Thank you Currer. Next up - Trine the food writer writes about a professor's spelling mistake in his PhD thesis, 20 years ago. Abbie Smith is hoping for a fast-track tenure based on her discovery of said spelling mistake...

I have notified Cort via phone call and email on this and we will be discussing Angela Kennedy posting. Until that time that I hear back from him, the posting stands. I will also talked to him about the fact that several individuals are now migrating over here from that toxic forum and will discuss what to do about it. As we do not want their tarnish reputation invading this forum. The scientists that I have talked to and even ERV credits this forum as being balance, scientific and able to distinguish fact from fiction without all the name calling. I've been in touch with Cort and we will be discussing this.

Eco

One problem - I've been a member of this forum for longer than I have the 'other' forum. I don't want to shock you, but i'm a member of both forums! I haven't migrated anywhere!

Phoenix Rising Team

Administrator
Thread re-opened.

Further violation of forum rules in this thread will result in immediate suspension without warning
due to necessary moderation expediency.

Reminders from the rules:

While we honor passionate and informed discussion we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts

If you come across posts that you find objectionable...report the post...Do not respond to such topics yourself.

A good sign of a discussion going south is when a thread shifts from focusing on an issue to personal attack...and the forum ceases to be a safe place for all to engage in. Eventually the Forum becomes, if not dominated, at least tainted by overly aggressive individuals, and people with quieter voices flee to safer pastures. Please keep the focus on the facts of the topic at hand - not the person delivering it.

Now, who would like to help get this thread back to the topic of the issues presented? :Retro smile: