• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll Regarding Use of ARVs

ARVs and CFS

• I am taking ARVs and getting them free or at reduced cost.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am taking ARVs and paying for them myself.

• I am taking ARVS and my insurer is paying for them.

• I tried ARVs, but they didn't work for me.

• I asked my doctor for a prescription for ARVs, but my doctor would not provide one.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I thought about taking ARVs, but am waiting on the science.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • ARVs are too risky.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • I am in a clinical study for antivirals, but not ARVs.

• I am taking antivirals, but not ARVs.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Recently the New York Times ran a column about CFS patients in San Francisco getting free HIV drugs possibly at the expense of HIV patients competing for the same pool of free drugs from the manufacturer. However, the column didn't have any firm numbers regarding CFS patients so there was no way to tell if it was a trend or an isolated example. At Cure Talk we wondered. So we are asking you the patients.

The results of this poll will be reported on Cure Talk, but respondents to the poll will remain anonymous.

gu3vara

I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole at the moment and I would have to be damn well sure it would help significantly to start taking those (meaning I want solid science backing it up). I can understand why people are tempted to try them though, it's hard to feel this bad and we all want to get better, but there are other things to try until the science progress on that topic.

I'd rather try something like GcMAF right now if it wasn't so expensive, at least it occurs naturally in your body. I'm not really inclined to ingest synthetic molecules to begin with, so I'm a bit biased here.

Daffodil

why should we partipate in this survey? why give those who dont want us to take ARV's any ammunition?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
ARV's are proven safe in HIV, so prescribing them off label is no difference to other meds being prescribed off label. I agree with daff, its just giving people who think me/cfs is a psych condition more ammo to throw back at us. I think most of us have gone down the psych line with antidepressants etc with minimal help from them. I think we should be questioning the use of antidepressants in cfs/me unless there is secondary depression from me/cfs.

Why are dr's frowned upon for prescribing arvs for cfs when other drs prescribe anti-d's for cfs without depression.

as for expensive treatments lke gcmaf and ampligen etc, its only the rich and famous that can afford them or those who are desperate and mortgage their houses and get in great debt. Most people with cfs cant work so have no hope in hell of affording alot of these treatments even arv's.

The health system isnt about health but about making money and ego's.

Daffodil

heap....my big concern is that the hiv advocates will somehow make drug companies ask for an HIV diagnosis before they supply a patient with free ARV's, which is not the case now.

Ammunition?

why should we partipate in this survey? why give those who dont want us to take ARV's any ammunition?

This is not a mandatory poll by any means. We at Cure Talk simply felt that Mr. James did not have hard numbers regarding a very specific situation and wanted patients to have the opportunity to give us more information if they were comfortable doing so. As stated, the poll is set up to allow people to be anonymous.

ukxmrv

Kate,

I wanted to select two options but could only chose one? I wanted to select the current treatment I am on and then my thoughts on ARV's.

Kate,

I wanted to select two options but could only chose one? I wanted to select the current treatment I am on and then my thoughts on ARV's.

I apologize that you were not able to select two options. I did set the poll up that way when creating the poll, but since I am not a computer expert I don't know why it will not allow you to do that.

Gary,

Thanks for mentioning HTLV - currently no drug is approved to treat it, and mixed results have occurred during clinical trials using the various approved anti-HIV enzyme drugs (i.e. integrase inhibitors, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors) for HTLV patients. Because the drug pipeline is hot for HIV and treatment for HTLV is essentially a non-existent joke, we have to hope that someday soon a new HIV drug appears that is also effective against HTLV. Otherwise, people with HTLV will just suffer and die; just ask any doctor about HTLV, but be prepared for major apathy.

Best wishes.