• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is ME/CFS a type of AIDS?

ukxmrv

It's an old theory Yungas. Lots written about it in the 80's and 90's.

If you read the book "Osler's Web" there's lots of info there.

justinreilly

That video is my favorite one made by a patient. Great music too. Very slightly dated in that it deals at the end with the Lo paper being held up, but still very good.

ukxmrv

We have ME spreading in my extended family to the in-laws and we are in 3 different countries.

Some people don't know just how much there is in a large extended family. I only found out that an uncle (by marriage) has had ME for 40 years.

The virus or whatever may be very slow and manifesting in different ways. We just don't have enough data yet.

Not all retroviruses are going to act the same. HTLV may be a better model for disease symptoms than HIV.

Carrigon

Yes there are and have been outbreaks of CFIDS/ME. Plenty of cluster cases. And when I got sick in 91, I got it from a guy I was dating, through casual contact, kissing/saliva, no sex. And when I went to my doctor then, he said there was a huge outbreak of it in my county, he was seeing tons of cases of it, and he knew right away that I had it.

My belief has always been that it is only infectious during the first thirty days. Maybe there are other strains of it that are different. But the one that got me, I think that's the one spreading all over China now.

justinreilly

Yes it make sense that it is only contagious within a certain time period, probably around a month.

I agree that it's probably contagious for a limited time. Don't know how long. This would be at least a partial explanation of why there are outbreaks and general disease spread, but generally most people who have contact with pwME don't get sick.

Daffodil

theres gotta be some connection with a herpes virus too, perhaps they are co-infecting

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
The latest copy of "Brain" is on the shelf and it looks like it has some good articles if you enjoy reading how the gut effects the brain and autism could have contributuions from the female testosterone due to closrtrium modidying wrong!!!