• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ottawa Citizen - Should we react or not?

Looks like a good article, based on the reuters article that was published yesterday. It's on all the major news sites :)

Boule de feu

The caption does hurt our cause, though.
If you only read that and don't get to the end of the article (many readers won't finish reading it), you get the impression that CFS is psychosomatic, all in the mind.
The pictures does not help either...

Boule de feu

The first comment is good.
I don't know what to think of the second one: "Maybe Global Warming causes it."
Is it meant to be sarcastic or is there a bit of truth in this statement?

Wonko

of course global warming is imaginary, the earth isnt a globe so we cant have global warming. I've looked at the "evidence" which suggests the earth may be a globe, including pictures of it alledgedly taken from "space" but guess what - they are flat!! Other "evidence" such as being able to see the "curve" at altitude mearly reflects the fact that light doesnt travel in straight lines, as suggested by lazy physists who use mathematical tricks to simplify thier "equations" (presumably in a misguided attempt to save paper), but has a tendency to follow the atmosphere as it falls off the edges of the planet.

the above contains nearly as much accurate and evidence based "science" as the refered to article IMO.

Boule de feu

of course global warming is imaginary, the earth isnt a globe so we cant have global warming. I've looked at the "evidence" which suggests the earth may be a globe, including pictures of it alledgedly taken from "space" but guess what - they are flat!! Other "evidence" such as being able to see the "curve" at altitude mearly reflects the fact that light doesnt travel in straight lines, as suggested by lazy physists who use mathematical tricks to simplify thier "equations" (presumably in a misguided attempt to save paper), but has a tendency to follow the atmosphere as it falls off the edges of the planet.

the above contains nearly as much accurate and evidence based "science" as the refered to article IMO.

I'm not sure I am following what you are trying to say. Globe and global don't mean the same thing.
Global warming does exist (this is what I used to teach in my Geography class - unless some clever guy figured it out otherwise) but I'm not sure CFS is caused by it, well maybe, partially... environmentally...

Wonko

.. Globe and global don't mean the same thing...
of course they dont, that was part of my point.

edit - maybe it would be easier to follow if you treated the above as a psychobabble approach to the evidence on global warming i.e. treating the evidence on global warming in the same way as your referenced article (and all others based ont he same press release) treats the subject of ME

Wonko

thats up for debate lol,

if it's only me that understands me, am I comic genius and you lot all thick/being awkward, or is my brain malfunctioning again - based on prior experience, and the fact I havent taken over the world (despite my owning a white cat and it being scheduled for last Tuesday), it's more likely to be the later (my brains off on one again).

Gamboa

I just left two comments in the on-line edition comment section and I hope others will also leave comments.

The bad thing, not mentioned here yet, is that in the printed version of the paper they left out the word "Syndrome" in the title of the article and called the illness "Chronic Fatigue". Everyone needs to let them know this is an error so that the paper can print a correction notice and also just to educate them.

I also commented on the awful picture.

Are any of you on FB? If so you can also post comments there under pages such as XMRV action, CFIDS, ME/FM Action Network etc. These groups all have FB pages and they send out posts constantly with updates from around the world concerning ME/CFS. In the posts sent today on FB about this newspaper article left comments about both the photo and the title error.

Boule de feu

I just left two comments in the on-line edition comment section and I hope others will also leave comments.

The bad thing, not mentioned here yet, is that in the printed version of the paper they left out the word "Syndrome" in the title of the article and called the illness "Chronic Fatigue". Everyone needs to let them know this is an error so that the paper can print a correction notice and also just to educate them.

I also commented on the awful picture.

Are any of you on FB? If so you can also post comments there under pages such as XMRV action, CFIDS, ME/FM Action Network etc. These groups all have FB pages and they send out posts constantly with updates from around the world concerning ME/CFS. In the posts sent today on FB about this newspaper article left comments about both the photo and the title error.

Good job, Gamboa!
Too bad, though. I wonder how Klimas and company would react knowing that they were interviewed for an article which title is showing CF and not CFS.

leela

I couldn't even read the article because I am *so sick* of the photo-of-sleepy-yawning-woman phenomenon!
The day CDC used the word "fatigue" was they day the colored the whole picture with indelible ink.
I know whoever was tasked with finding a stock illustration has no knowledge of the disease, it's not their fault--
they heard the word fatigue and there's our yawning mascot again.

Sorry, this rant slightly OT!

Boule de feu

I couldn't even read the article because I am *so sick* of the photo-of-sleepy-yawning-woman phenomenon!
The day CDC used the word "fatigue" was they day the colored the whole picture with indelible ink.
I know whoever was tasked with finding a stock illustration has no knowledge of the disease, it's not their fault--
they heard the word fatigue and there's our yawning mascot again.

Sorry, this rant slightly OT!

For them, chronic fatigue = a person that yawns...
Can we blame them? =-(
I'm also sick and 'tired' of seeing things like that.