• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cfs patient claims primary cause is psychiatric

drjohn

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE-POST ON OTHER FORUMS, SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES AND USE IN NEWSLETTERS

I have placed the comment below on the website of the Sussex Argus following the posting of a person called cfs_patient, who claims that the primary cause is a psychiatric one.

cfs_patient's assertion about the primary cause being a psychiatric one demonstrates why it is essential that not only M.E. but all the other illnesses, which are bundled together under the same collective CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) diagnosis need to be separated out for individual consideration.

His or her CFS condition may indeed be primarily or wholly psychiatric, possibly brought on by stress - some are - but is most commonly the case that people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (defined by Melvin Ramsay, recognised by the World Health organisation, ICD-10 G93.3 and meeting criteria more discriminatory than the NICE guidelines 2007), have no psychiatric history, nor co-existent psychiatric illness and the onset can be traced to a likely physical cause.

The creation of the term Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and making it synonymous with M.E. accounts for so much misinformation, which leads to unwise recommendations for treatments that are ineffective and may be harmful for some M.E. sufferers (and other patients too).

cfs_patient - and all others - deserve a more exclusive diagnosis whether the cause of their illness is a psychiatric one or a physical one.

This unsatisfactory state of affairs will continue until we properly identify M.E. (and the others) and free it from CFS.

May I urge as many people as can manage to go here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9259087.ME_costs_millions_in_lost_earnings/ register and make some well-informed comment about M.E. and also condemn the bad behaviour of trolls, which threatens to promote myths and destroy good quality debate by having it closed down. It shouldn't be necessary to say but, if you respond equally irrationally, emotionally, or don't contribute at all, there will be no effective change to the ways that are keeping us all ill.

Best wishes
John
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
M.E. Community Trust.org

ukxmrv

This is Brighton which is the strong-hold of the Colin Barton "ME" support group. There must be tens if not hundreds of people there who have been diagnosed with CFS (which they all think is the same as ME) with psychological problems or think that they have psychological problems.

This group supports BART where Peter White and co not only diagnose patients but use CBT and GET to try and treat them.

When Colin Barton says at the end of that article that they want more services, what the is saying is more Barts and CBT, GET.

p.s. all the comments seem to have gone now although it lists 24.

floydguy

PERMISSION TO FORWARD AND RE-POST ON OTHER FORUMS, SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES AND USE IN NEWSLETTERS

I have placed the comment below on the website of the Sussex Argus following the posting of a person called cfs_patient, who claims that the primary cause is a psychiatric one.

cfs_patient's assertion about the primary cause being a psychiatric one demonstrates why it is essential that not only M.E. but all the other illnesses, which are bundled together under the same collective CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) diagnosis need to be separated out for individual consideration.

His or her CFS condition may indeed be primarily or wholly psychiatric, possibly brought on by stress - some are - but is most commonly the case that people with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (defined by Melvin Ramsay, recognised by the World Health organisation, ICD-10 G93.3 and meeting criteria more discriminatory than the NICE guidelines 2007), have no psychiatric history, nor co-existent psychiatric illness and the onset can be traced to a likely physical cause.

The creation of the term Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and making it synonymous with M.E. accounts for so much misinformation, which leads to unwise recommendations for treatments that are ineffective and may be harmful for some M.E. sufferers (and other patients too).

cfs_patient - and all others - deserve a more exclusive diagnosis whether the cause of their illness is a psychiatric one or a physical one.

This unsatisfactory state of affairs will continue until we properly identify M.E. (and the others) and free it from CFS.

May I urge as many people as can manage to go here http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9259087.ME_costs_millions_in_lost_earnings/ register and make some well-informed comment about M.E. and also condemn the bad behaviour of trolls, which threatens to promote myths and destroy good quality debate by having it closed down. It shouldn't be necessary to say but, if you respond equally irrationally, emotionally, or don't contribute at all, there will be no effective change to the ways that are keeping us all ill.

Best wishes
John
drjohngreensmith@mecommunitytrust.org
M.E. Community Trust.org

Another reason to not elevate CFS without a corresponding objective criteria. The US will almost certainly end up like Britain where ME & CFS become interchangeable so that Reeves or White criteria is used to diagnose people who don't have ME as set out by Hyde or Ramsey. As RLC says, people should get diagnosed with ME (or whatever people want to call it) or they should get their medical condition - whatever it is - correctly diagnosed. The big tent approach (ie self reported tiredness and 4 other symptoms) to CFS is cruel to everyone (except maybe the pockets of certain "health" professionals) and shouldn't be perpetuated by anyone - most of all by "advocates".

mellster

Marco
A physical condition brought on by stress can be measured by physical and chemical reactions within the body - which has nothing do to with a psychological illness. Low stress tolerance is a physical condition as much as sinusitis is.

ukxmrv

If they are Sussex / Brighton patients and attending Barts (Colin Barton is a big fan) then they will be told that their disease is a psychological and related to stress. It's what sadly some patients believe (regardless of what their symptoms, onset, tests (this is UK so what tests!)....

Could be anything - ME, burnout, TATT, CFS, CF, depression, anxiety, .... anything....

Enid

Colin Barton doesn't know anything - reason we here in Kent split from them- he talks rubbish. Has he or they followed research. No.