• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depth perception?

November Girl

It used to be a problem for me. I waited very long times at intersections because I wasn't sure just how much space I had to pull out in traffic. If I remember right, all spaces looked pretty compressed, so I needed a really obvious gap to be sure it was safe.

It used to be a problem for me. I waited very long times at intersections because I wasn't sure just how much space I had to pull out in traffic. If I remember right, all spaces looked pretty compressed, so I needed a really obvious gap to be sure it was safe.

Same here, that's one I was most aware of. For a while I thought everyone was that way with traffic lanes, but no.

I was really surprised to see this as a listed symptom recently. Didn't know it was part of my illness. Apparently many of us have it.

Enid

Yes I had too for quite awhile in earlier times - visual disturbances of various kinds including inabilities with depth perception and inability to readjust quick focussing depth (eg. from TV at a distance to something nearby) and slow readjustment to changing light levels. I'd always assumed it was a "muscular problem" being part of a general pattern of muscle and movement problems at the time.

Gamboa

My depth perception is really bad in my left eye. I can't seem to see things coming directly towards me, especially branches on trees or pointy things. Four years ago while watering plants in my house I somehow managed to puncture my eye on the tip of an agave leaf spine! My eyeball was leaking vitreous fluid and the surgeons at the hospital had to put a stitch in it.

Gamboa

pamb

Yup. Finally a better description for one of my husband's earliest and remaining symptoms. He used to just say everything looks weird, but yup, depth perception covers a lot of it. He still stumbles a lot due to it.

It is so amazing there are finally, with the ICC and more, a lot more diagnostic cues to help docs. Of course it will not be common knowledge in the medical community for a generation or two.

alice1

i always thought it was inflamation..don't really know though.
on bad days i feel like i'm miles from everything.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
I think there are several mechanisms at work here. Firstly the focal lengths of each eye may vary more in ME/CFS patients which when coupled with fatigue can cause disturbances. Secondly the change in focal length when shifting from a close object to a far object is much slower. This can cause severe disorientation. I had trouble playing golf, especially when putting. When I shifted my gaze from the ball at my feet to the hole I would become dizzy and lose balance. Similar problem trying to play snooker.

Eye problems with ME/CFS patients are quite definable and readily identifiable by optometrists. Most of the optometrists I have been to admit to seeing problems in ME/CFS patients. In fact I have received more acknowledgement of ME/CFS from optometrists than doctors.

This article is an interesting read: http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp

Yes I had too for quite awhile in earlier times - visual disturbances of various kinds including inabilities with depth perception and inability to readjust quick focussing depth (eg. from TV at a distance to something nearby) and slow readjustment to changing light levels. I'd always assumed it was a "muscular problem" being part of a general pattern of muscle and movement problems at the time.

I think the focus issues are muscle related (and that depth problems are on top of it).

yep, never really connected to ME tho, also have an issue with rapidly moving objects, both in reality and on tv.

Yeah me too especially when I have migraines (even mild ones).

managed to puncture my eye on the tip of an agave leaf spine! My eyeball was leaking vitreous fluid and the surgeons at the hospital had to put a stitch in it.

OMG!

It is so amazing there are finally, with the ICC and more, a lot more diagnostic cues to help docs. Of course it will not be common knowledge in the medical community for a generation or two.

Yeah :( :(

Eye problems with ME/CFS patients are quite definable and readily identifiable by optometrists. Most of the optometrists I have been to admit to seeing problems in ME/CFS patients. In fact I have received more acknowledgement of ME/CFS from optometrists than doctors.

This article is an interesting read: http://www.cfids.org/archives/2001rr/2001-rr3-article02.asp

Good article.

I never got understanding or sympathy from optometrists. They would usually say it's odd, they never heard of it, and they had no idea what to suggest. Other than rechecking that I didn't need a higher prescription. (I was still happy with most optometrists, at the time I felt they did their job, and this was out of their scope. I wish more of them knew these things.)

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Ive had problems with depth perception for many years -although i didnt realise that that is waht it was called. Mine is definately worse at night - for many years it was sucgh a struggle to move around outside at night especially steps and driving. I dont drive at all at night anymore. I have a lot of eye problems and have never met a kind or well informed optometrist -they just insist my eyes are not bad.

I also have problems when two things are moving near each other and i cant work out which thing is moving or at ewhat speed -i often also feel like i am going to fall over when this happens e.g if a car starts moving next to me and i hadnt expected it, does anyone know what this is? i also have problems working out what things are at a distance - i can see them but somehow my brain cant make sense of them -particularly distrubing when trying to drive -anything out of the ordinary sppoks me!
Justy.

feel like i am going to fall over when this happens e.g if a car starts moving next to me and i hadnt expected it, does anyone know what this is?

I've had this before too. I think it's a vestibular issue. I found this link:
http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

At night I feel my problem is most due to low light, having trouble distinguishing edges and contrast. Plus sensitivity to light (oncoming headlights but also smaller things like street lamps) and some astigmatism/glare.

Carrigon

My depth perception is totally screwed. I cannot park a car correctly at all now. I have to always try to fix it a few times. I can't judge the distance between the car and the curb or the cars on either side of mine. It's seriously bad. I'll park all crooked and have to fix it. Or I'll park too far from the curb, all kinds of stuff. I even got a flat tire in recent years because I parked too close to a bad curb and it ripped the tire. I'm just barely driving now. I only go to the store and doctor. And I pray really hard each way to make it safely.

Wonko

......i also have problems working out what things are at a distance - i can see them but somehow my brain cant make sense of them.....
Justy.

This sounds like a much milder form of what I experience when completely overloaded, with me, in that situation, it can be anything further than a few metres away makes no sense, I can "see" it but it's as if it was a heavily distorted picture and has no relevance to me (by heavily distorted I mean it doesnt obey normal rules - think trying to drive mouse on upside down monitor whilst 75 screaming children are demanding, asking questions etc x a lot)

edit...actually thats not a very accurate analogy as it both doesnt acuurately describe the situation and is far too easy relative to this. Cant ATM think of anything that would describe it well enough to get across the effect/sensation to someone who hasnt experienced it. Anything outside a certain area just makes no sense and any attempt to mentally fix this just rebounds leading to more confusion/disorrientation.

No..still not descriptive - going to give up now.....

Enid

Wonko - (I've posted earlier) - my visual disturbances went hand in hand with confusion, lack of recognitions etc. (faces the familiar, orientations - to the extent of not even understanding a plug in a sink or orientating myself out of a hospital). I was quite severe at the time with many ME problems but this inability to process incoming information in the normal manner I recall particularly nasty. It's come right now. Thinking it through now it seems to me the Encephalo part (if met) of ME. I've no doubt it's to do with viral/bacterial infection though.