• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NasalCrom as a possible MCS treatment (maybe mold as well?)

kurt

This is a report about a recent discovery we have made that might help people with multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). This might also help people with mold or other environmental sensitivity issues.

Pollen season is brutal in my neighborhood because several acres behind my house are partly developed and in a holding pattern waiting for a better economy, and the weeds on those lots are horrendous, kicking out large amounts of pollen two or three times each year. My wife in particular suffers very badly. She also highly multiple chemical sensitive, so bad that we can not have any artificially scented products in the house. She gets severe headaches from any exposure to cigarette smoke (even a whiff), can not drive a car without recirc, etc. So our lives are complicated, two of us with CFS and her with MCS. Well, she tried a new product for the pollen this season, called NasalCrom. This product binds with the pollens in the nasal passages, and neutralizes them so they do not have a chance to get into the body and cause the allergenic responses.

So while the NasalCrom has helped my wife tolerate the pollens this past month, there was a big surprise, she started noticing a significant reduction in her MCS symptoms for several hours after taking a dose. This includes low or no reaction to cigarette smoke! That has never happened before.

If anyone with MCS wants to try NasalCrom please let us know the results, it is inexpensive, and one dose works for hours. I would like to know if this is a fluke or if this is a real mechanism for helping MCS sufferers.

Nielk

This is a report about a recent discovery we have made that might help people with multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS). This might also help people with mold or other environmental sensitivity issues.

Pollen season is brutal in my neighborhood because several acres behind my house are partly developed and in a holding pattern waiting for a better economy, and the weeds on those lots are horrendous, kicking out large amounts of pollen two or three times each year. My wife in particular suffers very badly. She also highly multiple chemical sensitive, so bad that we can not have any artificially scented products in the house. She gets severe headaches from any exposure to cigarette smoke (even a whiff), can not drive a car without recirc, etc. So our lives are complicated, two of us with CFS and her with MCS. Well, she tried a new product for the pollen this season, called NasalCrom. This product binds with the pollens in the nasal passages, and neutralizes them so they do not have a chance to get into the body and cause the allergenic responses.

So while the NasalCrom has helped my wife tolerate the pollens this past month, there was a big surprise, she started noticing a significant reduction in her MCS symptoms for several hours after taking a dose. This includes low or no reaction to cigarette smoke! That has never happened before.

If anyone with MCS wants to try NasalCrom please let us know the results, it is inexpensive, and one dose works for hours. I would like to know if this is a fluke or if this is a real mechanism for helping MCS sufferers.

Kurt,

Very interesting observation. I suffer from allergies from pollen and especially the past few years in NY has been very bad. I also suffer from MCS. I'm going to give NasalCrom a try and let you know. It is a prescription spray?

Thanks,
Nielk

leaves

Ive used gastrocrom, this is the same ingredient, but then you take it orally. It did not help me, but many kids with ASD do well on it.

kurt

Kurt,

Very interesting observation. I suffer from allergies from pollen and especially the past few years in NY has been very bad. I also suffer from MCS. I'm going to give NasalCrom a try and let you know. It is a prescription spray?

Thanks,
Nielk

NasalCrom is OTC, you can buy at most drug stores, Walmarts, etc.

Ive used gastrocrom, this is the same ingredient, but then you take it orally. It did not help me, but many kids with ASD do well on it.

leaves, how does gastrocrom help your kids? This sounds interesting, wonder what it is binding for them?

leaves

I dont have kids, it is often used for kids with autism (=asd)
klimas prescribed it to me becauae of high gastro inflammation and allergies

determined

This sounds very familiar to me. I believe that I used it 15-20 years ago, hoping it would help with pollens and MCS, but it didn't. It's OTC now? Maybe I'll try it again for pollens......

I've had MCS for about 15 years as well as seasonal allergies for longer than that. I've used Nasalcrom as well as other similar products for allergy treatments. I went through a similar experience, though not nearly as dramatic. I (casually) believe it has something to do with the fact that clearer sinuses allow the more efficient expelling of chemicals/substances that will cause an MCS reaction. Continuing Nasalcrom after the removal of allergens will either show that it wasn't itself directly responsible for the MCS reaction reduction OR, if the reactions continue to be reduced then there is an issue going on other than MCS.

FWIW: I no longer take or need Nasalcrom or similar products. I accidentally discovered that taking quercetin completely relieves me of my allergic reactions, except for some soft-palate itching during the highest peaks. Contrary to some posts out there, quercetin is unlikely to relieve allergy symptoms upon taking it; you'll need some time to get it on board. I start the season with a loading dose. When allergic reactions start appearing, I start taking quercetin this way: the recommended dose is 2 capsules of 500mg each. I take this three times a day. When symptoms disappear I half that dosage, although I'm prone to forgetting to taking it entirely because my symptoms are gone.

Hope this helps.

perchance dreamer

I've read great things about quercetin for allergies. However, the recommended dose of 500 MG twice a day gives me terrible insomnia. I had to stop taking it.

I think this is an uncommon reaction. However, quercetin is in some energy supplements.