• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

6 letters published in Observer (Aug 28)

Dolphin

The MEA have put up 6 letters that were published in the Observer, August 28: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7814

They also put up the full text of Dr. Charles Shepherd's one (i.e. before it was edited): http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7814 .

This may sound a bit mean-spirited, but please write letters if you can when you see "bad" M.E. articles - if you don't, we could up with more like the third one. :( Maybe that's harsh, but I think most people could write a better letter.

Dolphin

Dr. Patricia de Wolfe

I presume the first author is the same as this Dr. Patricia de Wolfe:

The thesis can be downloaded for free from:
http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do .

It's not easy to copy and paste so there may be errors

Tom

PATRICIA JEAN DE WOLFE
'I'M REALLY ILL, I'VE GOT M.E'

BODILY DISORDER AND THE QUEST FOR DISEASE

THESIS SUBMITTBD FOR THE DEGREE OF DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY IN THE

UNIVERSITY OF LONDON

DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY

GOLDSMITHS COLLEGE

MARCH 1999

ABSTRACT

"I'm REALLY ILL, I'VE GOT M.E": BODILY DISORDER AND THB QUEST FOR DISEASE

This thesis explores the terms of the debate surrounding the nature of myalgic encephalomyelitis M.E.), a condition characterised by profound exhaustion, muscle weakness, and a host of other symptoms, which has generated much controversy since coming to prominence in the late 19805.

Crucially, there 1s no diagnostic test for the purported disease. However, those claiming to be its victims are convinced that they suffer from an incapacitating organic disorder not of their making. warranting social support and medical help. Their claims, heavily dependent on their reports of experienced symptoms, have been contested by critics who have diversely construed M.E. as a psychiatric illness and/or as an effect of personality or behaviour.

Using knowledge derived from participation in an M.E. support group, and analysis of material published in the journals of M.E. charities and in the medical and popular press, the thesis examines what is involved, epistemologically, socially, and morally, in the claims to 'real disease' made by people with M. E., as well as in the counterarguments of sceptics. It proposes a conceptualisation of disease, fundamental to understandings of bodily disorder, and a precondition for (although not a guarantee of) the exculpation of the sufferer. The thesis examines a range of constructions of sick people as guilty of their illness; shows how these stigmatising constructions pervade discourses on M.E.; and evaluates the arguments by means of which people with M.E. attempt to establish their bona fides. The thesis also addresses the question of whether people with M.E. might have pursued aims other than inclusion in a biomedical category, and points to the difficulties of evolving alternative strategies for legitimating bodily disorder.

That's the best they could do?! L.O.L.

Hopefully those who wrote letters will post them so people can see the difference between what was submitted and "what was selected"

Maybe M.E.A or Invest in M.E. would be game to post all the letters sufferers had written?

Sounds to me like they are doing "crowd control" of those letters which were critical of Dr. Wessely's theories, & their irresponsibility in fact checking and running the story in the first place....

Dolphin

KnightofZERO said:
Maybe M.E.A or Invest in M.E. would be game to post all the letters sufferers had written?

This is what I sent in for what it is worth. I tend to send versions of different lengths with the hope one will fit. Also, knowing that a lot of papers tend to want short letters, I try to keep them short. Anyway, I didn't get in.
While I, of course, abhor death threats of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
(CFS) researchers (Society, August 21), the issue shouldn't be
conflated with legitimate criticisms of some of the published research
in the field. When I and others challenged the reported results of the
5m taxpayer-funded PACE Trial in the Lancet, we highlighted important
points about inter alia altered primary outcome measures, unreported
secondary outcome measures, safety claims and a bizarre post hoc
definition of "normal" functioning.
------Longer version (last sentence added)-----

While I, of course, abhor death threats of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
(CFS) researchers (Society, August 21), the issue shouldn't be
conflated with legitimate criticisms of some of the published research
in the field. When I and others challenged the reported results of the
5m taxpayer-funded PACE Trial in the Lancet, we highlighted important
points about inter alia altered primary outcome measures, unreported
secondary outcome measures, safety claims and a bizarre post hoc
definition of "normal" functioning. There should be freedom of speech
not just for those CFS researchers who espouse certain behavioural
interventions, but also their critics.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
maybe if there are enough letters from us (really us), they will find the truth harder to sweep under the rug. we can hope so, anyway