• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic fatigue syndrome: understanding a complex illness (nature.com)

wdb

Seems to be a reasonably balanced article, no surprises what Wessely has to say

Chronic fatigue syndrome: understanding a complex illness
Stephen T. Holgate, Anthony L. Komaroff, Dennis Mangan & Simon Wessely

Nature Reviews Neuroscience asked four scientists involved in CFS research about their views on the condition, its causes and the future of research aimed at improving our understanding of this chronic illness.

Full article: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v12/n9/full/nrn3087.html

(was actually tweeted by Ben Goldacre http://twitter.com/#!/bengoldacre/status/107106119817764866 )

Valentijn

Wessely does a good job of sounding like a whiny prima donna compared to the other scientists. And incapable of saying anything in a straight forward manner.

Esther12

Wessely does a good job of sounding like a whiny prima donna compared to the other scientists. And incapable of saying anything in a straight forward manner.

I think that he comes across unusually badly in this piece. Maybe because he normally only now speaks about CFS to deferential mass media reporters. Even in an utterly unadversarial setting like the nature piece, he seems a lot less convincing when there's an expectation of any substance.

Holgate sounds pretty reasonable though, and makes me feel much more hopeful about the next twenty years of research. Shame we've lost the last couple of decades though.

Last edited: