• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Exporting Simon Wessely

ixchelkali

I just heard an interview with Simon Wessely on the subject of his being the victim of threats and intimidation by ME/CFS patients, on my local NPR radio station broadcasting out of Pasadena, CA. It was on the BBC World Service News, and was a longer segment than is usual for them. This program normally consists of headline news of major international stories. So apparently this story is being exported from the UK, and my friends in SoCal --and presumably listeners of NPR stations across the US who carry BBC World News-- can all hear about the violent extremist ME/CFS advocates.

I looked for an online link to the story, but didn't see it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I think deep down he is feeling guilty for the pain and suffering he has caused to ME people and now is paranoid/delusional about death threats and intimidation. I think he needs zoloft, exercise/cbt and he will be ok and be able to patronize another group of people with a chronic illness like diabetes.

cheers!!!

Enid

I feel - and so are we tania. Just hope the fall out will not be too damaging for friends overseas - we are worldwide too.

Ian

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having such a serious disease such as ME and simply being told you have a mental disorder, and given anti depressants or other such toxic drugs.

Nielk

I think deep down he is feeling guilty for the pain and suffering he has caused to ME people and now is paranoid/delusional about death threats and intimidation. I think he needs zoloft, exercise/cbt and he will be ok and be able to patronize another group of people with a chronic illness like diabetes.

cheers!!!

He must have been abused as a child and gone through a lot of trauma. That's the only explanation for his brain illness.
He needs years and years of deep psychotherapy in addition to heavy drugs which of course will not be covered by any insurance. In addition, I recommend running 10 miles a day, on an incline of course. Keep increasing this by another mile each day. Do not stop even if you are out of breath and/or sweating profusely and feeling faint. These feelings are just tricks of the mind. They are not real, so don't pay attention to them. This profuse amount of exercise will enable him to let go of some of his earlier trauma, but not all. It will plague him for the rest of his life. What can we do that's just the way the dice roll.

Enid

Perhaps enforced bed time reading - all the papers, all the research findings, all drug treatments - ever publised over all the years of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis - should keep him busy with no time left for his Media Centre.

Unfortunely he will have to cover all misnamed CFS too. If he and his "cohort" don't get reading soon they will never catch up.

Enid

A has been Silverblade - grasping to retain some professional status in ME - long gone by all research findings now.

Nielk

When are we starting our international class action lawsuit against him?
There are many basis for this:
1- defamation
2- malpractice
3- libel
4- malingering
5- negligence
6- standard of care
7- withholding evidence
8- pain and suffering

Did I leave anything out?

Enid

Influence by this so called branch of medicine (gods of the gaps) on human illness and suffering - but you have it all in 1 -8. Add willful ignorance, self importance, and not prepared to listen and learn from ME sufferers.

Whacky - 4 Docs in my family who always listen and constantly learn.

SilverbladeTE

9 - Negligent Homicide
ME kills, failing to treat it as organic disease thus leading to death, Sophia mirza AND many others = neligent, or contributing to, negligent homicide, which is manslaughter probably of lower severity at that for those who did it to Sophia etc, but those at higher end who stated/spread this bad practice have much more serious burden of guilt.

10 - Genocide/Crimes Against Humanity, trickier one to prove etc.
Now, if it's all due to believing a ludicrous idealogy but one he belives is genuinely going to help patients but causes harm/prevents proper treatment reuslting in harm/death, ok that's one thing, that's negligence by gross incompetance but still not malign and thus probably not #10
but the widespread harm it has caused may sitll qualify it as such, since preventing 17 million folk getting medical treatment is a vast and catastrophic result of ego.
BUT if this is about saving money for insurance companies etc, then that changes things entirely. That IS "with malice forethought", which is the underpinning difference on how the law treats a crime.

*GG*

He must have been abused as a child and gone through a lot of trauma. That's the only explanation for his brain illness.
He needs years and years of deep psychotherapy in addition to heavy drugs which of course will not be covered by any insurance. In addition, I recommend running 10 miles a day, on an incline of course. Keep increasing this by another mile each day. Do not stop even if you are out of breath and/or sweating profusely and feeling faint. These feelings are just tricks of the mind. They are not real, so don't pay attention to them. This profuse amount of exercise will enable him to let go of some of his earlier trauma, but not all. It will plague him for the rest of his life. What can we do that's just the way the dice roll.

Love it, you should be his doctor!

valentinelynx

When are we starting our international class action lawsuit against him?
There are many basis for this:
1- defamation
2- malpractice
3- libel
4- malingering
5- negligence
6- standard of care
7- withholding evidence
8- pain and suffering

Did I leave anything out?

I have an idea about dealing with this issue/person. Purposefully being vague. Given this person's evident personality issues (to put it mildly), it seems probable that he/she has some skeletons in the closet, dirt under the rug, i.e. things the person would prefer not to see the light of day. The recent events revealing the iniquities of people at News of the Worldthe fact that even those at the top were eventually unable to avoid their own responsibility for the immoral actionsto me inspires a certain way of thinking, namely that even those in positions of tremendous power (owning half the media, for instance) are not immune to having their crimes revealed by dedicated investigators. Perhaps someone in the relevant geographic area knows of a really good PI or perhaps investigative journalist that might be able to "dig up the dirt" and make it public in such a way as to bring to light what sort of individual has been promoting these theories that are embraced so dearly by governmental agencies. The goal is to make elected public officials unwilling to be associated with such a person, thereby defanging him/her so to speak. There is nothing illegal about this proposal, which involves standard investigative practices. I would be amazed if there were not some really nasty skeletons in that closet.