• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HHV-6 may reach brain through nose

Enid

Wow kaffiend - we are getting there ! Certainly ties up with my own "infections" in the early days, and why full dose neurontin (as epilepsy) aided at an awful stage. Many thanks for posting.

It also explains sore "lumps" in the nose which did not break the surface - ie on nerves/endings. Also brief appearance of a chest rash. Also HHV6 causes demyelisation - hence "high spots" in brain MRI ? This does all seem a likely explanation for problems met and great when it matches "experiences".

Waverunner

My questions would be:

1.) Does chronic sinusitis and/or nose polyps contribute to a higher probability of HHV-6 infection of the brain through the nose?

2.) If the virus goes into the brain, could it be, that current tests don't pick up the infection?

Enid

Your working hypothesis sounds very good and likely to me - neurological (brain) problems were severe and I note on other threads the brain stem (dorsal) dysfunction is involved. At the time I was unable to lie on the back of my head for severe pain there. Thanks for your most interesting information kaffiend.The Jamie D-J Blog speaks of the brain areas likely affected. Must admit I've my own working theory re ME/CFS - the difference being the extent of damage (initial ?) only - basically the same thing.

Daffodil

i have always had severe cognitive problems, neck cramping, and my brain, neck and whole face area always feels swollen. the earlier MRI's all said that it looked like i had "significant sinusitis"

Nielk

This amoeba eating away at human brain with entry through the nasal passage sounds like science fiction.
It's amazing.

ukxmrv

I was at a talk by Dr Enlander this week and he had a slide from a post mortem biopsy of a patient of his. This person has tragically committed suicide. There was a slide of his brain. An astrocyte was infected with HHV6 from the temporal lobe.

Nielk

I was at a talk by Dr Enlander this week and he had a slide from a post mortem biopsy of a patient of his. This person has tragically committed suicide. There was a slide of his brain. An astrocyte was infected with HHV6 from the temporal lobe.

Did Enlander say if it's possible to test for this? Like a brain scan, spect or other means?

ukxmrv

Sorry Nielk,

someone asked him about other patients but he explained that these were from an autopsy and he wasn't taking tests from other live patients. I don't know how easy this would be even if the patient was having other surgery and a biopsy could be taken at the same time. Dr

Enlander didn't speak about any less invasive tests to show the same things.