• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New drug could cure nearly any viral infection

Waverunner

Infering from the pretty sophisticated methods the immune system already uses that evolution has already tried most of the simple approaches and for one reason or another dismissed them there MAY be a good reason why this approach is not already used by our own biology to combat virus's.

Yes, there may be a good reason why we don't produce broad band antibiotics in our gut as well but this does not prove the point you made. We have all kinds of illnesses and nature clearly failed to support us with means to fight these illnesses. The fact that infected cells die may be very problematic, maybe it even prevents those who are most ill, from taking it. On the other side, as I said, nature is very simple, it doesn't care if we die. In the end you can choose by yourself if you want to buy "bad" drugs from pharma companies or not. But it doesn't look like nature has cured CFS yet.

The problem is that there are some types of cells in the body that don't divide once created, so killing them will lead to lack of it, won't be replaced by others, this is the major problem mainly.

ixchelkali

The problem is that there are some types of cells in the body that don't divide once created, so killing them will lead to lack of it, won't be replaced by others, this is the major problem mainly.

What type of cells in the body aren't replaced if they die?

What type of cells in the body aren't replaced if they die?

The neurons are supposed not not be able to reproduce
http://psychology.about.com/od/biopsychology/f/neuron01.htm

Unlike other body cells, neurons stop reproducing shortly after birth. Because of this, some parts of the brain have more neurons at birth than later in life because neurons die but are not replaced. While neurons do not reproduce, research has shown that new connections between neurons form throughout life.

Another answer that is less "official" (but in this case refers to trauma, not apoptosis):
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_cells_of_which_the_organ_can_the_human_body_not_replace_if_they_are_dead

The central nervous system (including nerves and spinal cord) are very sensitive to damage:
Rebuilding the Nervous System with Stem Cells

ixchelkali

The neurons are supposed not not be able to reproduce
http://psychology.about.com/od/biopsychology/f/neuron01.htm

Another answer that is less "official" (but in this case refers to trauma, not apoptosis):
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/The_cells...n_the_human_body_not_replace_if_they_are_dead

The central nervous system (including nerves and spinal cord) are very sensitive to damage:
Rebuilding the Nervous System with Stem Cells

I thought that in recent years they had discovered that brain cells do regenerate.

http://www.brainlightning.com/regen.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=saving-new-brain-cells

francisB

[banned as spam]
A chemical substance produced by a microorganism, which has the capacity to inhibit the growth of or to kill other microorganisms is called as an antibiotic.

An antibiotic that is effective against a wide range of infectious microorganisms which includes both gram positive and gram negative bacteria is called as a Broad spectrum antibiotic.

Scientists from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have unveiled a new superdrug, which they say is capable of curing any virus from influenza to the common cold. The drug is long way from human trials but has been successful in killing viruses in mice by attacking genetic materials in viruses.

Researchers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology recently published the results of a development study in the journal PLoS One, according to Time, that shows astonishing promise. A new superdrug called DRACO has the potential to kill any and all viruses, including deadly hemorrhagic fevers, polio, all strains of influenza and the common cold. The drug targets the genetic information that viruses use to replicate. DRACO, or Double-stranded RNA Activated Capsase Oligomerizer, attacks a form of ribonucleic acid, a compound found in all forms of life on earth, that only cells that are infected with a virus produce, according to MIT News.

snowathlete

BBC have an article about it today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16165605

Its exactly what is needed for a whole bunch of illnesses. The focus in the BBC article is on the common cold because it affects everyone, but of course our illness, and others out there who are impacted far greatly, would benefit from a drug like this.

In terms of drug companies, some will of course want to stop it, but whoever is able to develop it would make an absolute killing - you would become the biggest company in the world because everyone would buy it from you, and alot of it at that. So i dont see that as a big stumbling block.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Nerves can regenerate, but not all of them. Also it is SLOW. I am working hard with my POTS and the autonomic neuropathy. It takes a long time and the very best supplements, doses, brands. Also, oxygen for the microcirculation, helped my gentle exer. while breathing deeply. I have good doctors that understand it all thankfully.

I stay away from any drugs that are toxic to the nerves. So many are. Most drugs keep loading more and more toxins and many of us cannot get rid of them. Thankfully...supplements help with that also.

redo

The medical ethic problems have really gone from ditch to ditch. Back in the days committed scientists injected never tried vaccines into themselves for the benefit of mankind (like Jonas Salk), and patients encountered no road blocks if they where at the end of the rope and wanted to take a chance with a medicine. Unfortunately there where some scientists who took advantage of the system, and did things like the Tuskegee syphilis experiment. But today, the medical ethics are in a new ditch, and no one seems to question it. Today, a patient who's life is a living nightmare, wouldn't be allowed to try a monoclonal antibody on their own body. I find it absurd. The ethics committee would also, without a blink of an eye rob dying patients for hope, denying them the possibility to try a drug which isn't approved yet. I'll bet anyone here, that if a patient with a lethal viral infection, bound to die within months, would be denied the possibility to try drugs such as DRACO. Anyone willing to bet against me? I think the ethics have really gone from cruel to cruel. Going from Tuskegee to today's hopeless situation is like seeing a fire in an apartment, and extinguishing it with so much water the whole block gets damaged.