• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Thyroid

JAH

Hello fellow methylators,

I as wondering what people on a methylation protocol are experiencing with hypothyroidism. I was very interested to read in Rich's 2009 study that his protocol influenced thyroid production. I have been on the SMP for about a month, and have also been adjusting my synthroid dose. I had increased the dose a little, then decreased it when my TSH was suppressed, but have been so freaking cold for the last month that I am thinking of asking my doc to up the dose again. I'm not sure- maybe I should wait, since the SMP might change my thyroid functioning. I have noticed no changes on the SMP, but just got my health diagnostics test results, and believe that I do have a partial methylation block. (I haven't talked to my doctor yet- just based on my reading of Rich's research)

thanks for your feedback,

JAH

my test results:
glutathione, (oxidised) 0.59
glutathione (reduced) 3.3
S-adenosylmethionine 220
S-adenosylhomocysteine 53.1
5-CH3-THF 11.7
10-Formyl-THF 4.0
5-Formyl-THF 3.9
THF .73
Folic Acid 9.6
Folinic Acid (WB) 8.2
Folinic Acid (RBC) 332
adenosine 23.7

richvank

Hello fellow methylators,

I as wondering what people on a methylation protocol are experiencing with hypothyroidism. I was very interested to read in Rich's 2009 study that his protocol influenced thyroid production. I have been on the SMP for about a month, and have also been adjusting my synthroid dose. I had increased the dose a little, then decreased it when my TSH was suppressed, but have been so freaking cold for the last month that I am thinking of asking my doc to up the dose again. I'm not sure- maybe I should wait, since the SMP might change my thyroid functioning. I have noticed no changes on the SMP, but just got my health diagnostics test results, and believe that I do have a partial methylation block. (I haven't talked to my doctor yet- just based on my reading of Rich's research)

thanks for your feedback,

JAH

my test results:
glutathione, (oxidised) 0.59
glutathione (reduced) 3.3
S-adenosylmethionine 220
S-adenosylhomocysteine 53.1
5-CH3-THF 11.7
10-Formyl-THF 4.0
5-Formyl-THF 3.9
THF .73
Folic Acid 9.6
Folinic Acid (WB) 8.2
Folinic Acid (RBC) 332
adenosine 23.7

Hi, JAH.

These results do indicate that you have a partial methylation cycle block and glutathione depletion.

If the SMP is going to help, it usually starts giving benefits within 3 months. If it hasn't done so in that amount of time, my first recommendation would be to do some additional lab testing to find out why. If this is not feasible, then my next recommendation would be to try switching from hydroxo B12 to methyl B12. Both glutathione and SAMe are necessary to convert hydroxo to methyl B12, and that is the coenzyme form needed by the methylation cycle.

There are other possibilities that could hinder improvement on this protocol, and additional lab testing would be needed to find out which is present. Cofactor vitamin or mineral deficiencies are possibilities, as well as low amino acids levels. Enzyme blocking by heavy metal toxins is another.

I hope that the SMP will do the job for you, but if not, I think it is clear from your test results that the partial methylation cycle block is present, and that gives guidance for what needs to be corrected.

Best regards,

Rich

JAH

Hi August,

I got my lab work at health diagnostics in new jersey- the lab that Rich has recommended. Luckily I have a doctor who is on board...JAH

JAH

Thank you Rich,

I've been on the protocol for a little over a month, so will wait until 3 months before any additional testing or changes. Last time I saw my doctor, I reported that the antiviral therapy I am doing (valtrex) has made me feel less "virusy", though has not improved my fatigue or functioning. She thought that was interesting and suggested I take some of the "fatigue" supplements like coq 10, acetyl l carnitine, nadh- which in the past have done nothing. She thought that maybe the viruses were "blocking" those supplements from working. I know you have posited a few theories as to why people with cfs have a methylation block- do you think that a virus is one? (in my case, hhv 6)

any thought on thyroid?

JAH