• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sinus headache treatment

*GG*

I dont know if other countries have it but in australia we have a product called vics vapor rub, normally rubbed on chest and breath the fumes in but is better used as a steam when placed in a bowl of hot water and put a towel over your head and the bowl and breath in the fumes, this helps open up the nose/sinuses and airways and u just let everything drain out into the bowel. vics contains camphor, menthol and eucalyptus. I think opening up and letting the sinuses drain out is half the battle as this clogging up is a good environment for bugs to breed.

Yes, we had this in the US, or we used to, unless they no longer make it or have pulled it of the shelf for some reason.

GG

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Yes, we had this in the US, or we used to, unless they no longer make it or have pulled it of the shelf for some reason.

GG

i did the vics thing last night and wow it really opened up my sinuses and could breath normally, i was actually on abit of a high with that bouncy sort of energy as my head was very clear. WOke this morning with one nostril completely blocked but the vics didnt work as well so i used a nasal spray with oxymetazoline to help open the airways up and then inhaled the vics steam again, its definately helping clear my head, just cant seem to get alot of whatever is blocking my nostrils out. also smashing it with saline nasal spray to try and help wash it out. I think i have every nasal treatment from the chemist now. from what i can gather with chronic sinus stuff, we have to keep using all these techniques for awhile.

ggingues your sinus problems are something that come and go alot? do you think the sinus problem worsens your cfs symptoms like headaches and brain fog etc. as im finding its helping some with the brain fog.

cheers!!!

Nielk

Nielk, I know you've gotten lots of good advice here, but I'll just add what works for me. I absolutely cannot take antihistamines because they cause my sinuses to be even more congested and have even led to infections. Using a neti pot with saline and a drop of grapefruit seed extract (natural antifungal, antibiotic properties) helps as does guaifenesin to help things drain (but only if I don't use it for more than a couple of days in a row- not sure why). Also, when the pain is the worst, I heat a washcloth until I can scarcely stand it and put it on the back of my neck, on my forehead, and under my eyes alternately. I have to keep reheating it and it's messy, but after several cycles I start to get relief. The other thing that helps a lot is to massage the back of my neck (along the sides of the spinal column) vigorously. I have the feeling poor blood flow to the sinuses is a factor as well. I also have a special filter where I sleep that not only filters out pollen/dust but also chemicals. I hope you get some relief!
Thanks.
It's interesting that I too found a spot in the back of my neck that seems to be a pressure point that aleves my headache. When I press very hard on that specific point, I get some relief. I found it by accident. Just exploring different points. Another acupressure point that seems to help is above the top lip right in the middle where the indentation is, is also a point of relief. These only show very short term benefits. It's an interesting point about poor bloodflow.

*GG*

i did the vics thing last night and wow it really opened up my sinuses and could breath normally, i was actually on abit of a high with that bouncy sort of energy as my head was very clear. WOke this morning with one nostril completely blocked but the vics didnt work as well so i used a nasal spray with oxymetazoline to help open the airways up and then inhaled the vics steam again, its definately helping clear my head, just cant seem to get alot of whatever is blocking my nostrils out. also smashing it with saline nasal spray to try and help wash it out. I think i have every nasal treatment from the chemist now. from what i can gather with chronic sinus stuff, we have to keep using all these techniques for awhile.

ggingues your sinus problems are something that come and go alot? do you think the sinus problem worsens your cfs symptoms like headaches and brain fog etc. as im finding its helping some with the brain fog.

cheers!!!

I would say yes, my sinus problems come and go alot. I don't notice much, if any correlation of my sinus problem. I don't get much brain fog, except when I am excessively exhausted!

GG