• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Long Term Antibiotic Treatments

caledonia

Long term antibiotics always makes me think of Lyme, but he doesn't mention Lyme. Maybe he found he had some kind of persistent bacterial infection. I don't know what else you would take them for. This is from 1999, before antivirals had become more common.

This idea has been around since the mid 1990's. I was offered long term antibiotic treatment back in 1995, but said no way to it because I didn't want to become resistant to them. I knew a few people that did do it, but it didn't improve their health at all. This comes from the theory that ME is caused by a persistant viral infection.

xrunner

I was wondering if anyone know what there are, and if anyone here has tried this treatment.
https://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind9902D&L=co-cure&P=R972

AndrewB

I have been on long-term abx therapy for a couple of years, but not continuosly as I take frequent breaks. I have a presumptive diagnosis of Borrelia infection which was helpful to justify the therapy but I believe there's more to that.
I have tried many treatments over the years, and most of those talked about on this forum, but I made improvements only with abx. By themselves they won't be sufficient but I found those necessary and they're the central plank of my package of treatments.

My opinion, and this is purely my personal view based on my experience and what I read around, is that CFS is triggered by an imbalance in the human microbiome, developed over time, probably caused by the inadequate treatment of infections we picked up during our life-time, in particular bacteria that go intracellular or change form as a result of the wrong type of antibiotics or even misdiagnosis.
The multiple infection theory is a line of thinking that some doctors have recently started to follow. For e.g. some Lyme doctors like Dr Orowitz now refer to Multiple chronic infectious disease, as they realise that there is more than a single bug at play.
That's why I believe some people have been helped a lot by abx and anti-parasitic treatments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Microbiome_Project

All the best.

ukxmrv

Yes, I tried long term antibiotiocs and my stomach problems became much worse. Probiotics stopped working and I had a very long term slump in my health.

p.s. still love he music of Keith Jarrett though.

AndrewB

Yes, I tried long term antibiotiocs and my stomach problems became much worse. Probiotics stopped working and I had a very long term slump in my health.

p.s. still love he music of Keith Jarrett though.

Yes me too, ive been listening to easier on the ear music when i can. sometimes i get headaches that are strange, and any noise feels like a gun going off near my ear, but whem im in the right condition, his slower paino work is very pleasent to hear. I wish he'd do a more recent interview about how the antibiotic treatment worked, if anyone finds that please let me know.