• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hendra virus spreads to dog in QLD

Hendra virus spreads to dog in QLD Australia

This is a bit of a worry considering it can spread to humans and then be fatal. Cats can get it as well. I guess anyone with a cat or dog in Australia needs to avoid letting their animal near flying fox poop, bit hard if they are regular visitors in your yard though!. The closest outbreak of hendra to me is only about an hour away.

http://www.theage.com.au/environmen...ndra-virus-20110726-1hy3p.html?skin=text-only

taniaaust1

That's a bit scary.. fortunately it seems a human has to have contact with the bodily fluids eg blood/saliva of the sick animal to get this. Fingers crossed that the dog did get it from a horse rather straight from a bat.

That's a bit scary.. fortunately it seems a human has to have contact with the bodily fluids eg blood/saliva of the sick animal to get this. Fingers crossed that the dog did get it from a horse rather straight from a bat.

But who doesn't have a dog that likes to slobber all over them? lol.

Anna Bligh called an emergency meeting today.. but I think the most worrying thing is they don't really know anything about the virus.

gregf

I know we are supposed to worry about the people first, but I hope they do not have to put the dog to sleep. Seems like the experts are jumping the gun there, saying it may become violent afterwards. Well wait and see guys. But the family is saying no to that at this stage. Sorry, I would love to have a dog. :(

Greg.

I know Greg! I saw the dog and it's owners on the news tonight and felt really sad for them. I think the biosecurity people need to remember that dogs are considered to be a family member by most owners..

On another note, the gov has pledged $6 million to research into hendra :eek: Can we have some of that money please???.