• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and 5- HTP

topaz

Methylation & 5- HTP and enteric coated vitamins

I have just started the Freddd methylation protocol, including the cofactors and SAM-e.

Two questions rolled into one thread:

1. I am considering taking 5-HTP to boost seratonin. Quick google indicates that these can be taken together.

Please let me know if this is not the case or share your experience.

2. Which cofactors/vitamins should be preferably taken in enteric coated form?

I believe that SAMe should be taken as enteric coated pills to survive transit through the stomach.

Does this apply to other vitamins/cofactors on the methylation protocol?

Thanks in advance.

richvank

I have just started the Freddd methylation protocol, including the cofactors and SAM-e.

1. I am considering taking 5-HTP to boost seratonin. Quick google indicates that these can be taken together.

I believe that SAMe should be taken as enteric coated pills to survive transit through the stomach.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, topaz.

As the information cited by Lala says, it's better to take tryptophan than 5-HTP.

The oral supplements in the simplified treatment protocol will survive stomach acid. Note that some are taken sublingually, so that this is not an issue.

Rich

Freddd

Thanks in advance.

Hi Topaz,

Only SAM-e comes as enteric coated tablet. There are omega3 oil enteric coated oil caps but that is to stop fishoil burps, not for any other reason. All other items are just as they need to be already. As regards 5 HTP, I would expect Rich's answer to be correct.

maddietod

What's the dosing relationship between 5HTP and tryptophan? I take 300mg 5HTP; how do I figure out an equivalent dose of tryptophan?

Thanks.........Madie

richvank

What's the dosing relationship between 5HTP and tryptophan? I take 300mg 5HTP; how do I figure out an equivalent dose of tryptophan?

Thanks.........Madie

Hi, Madie.

The dosage relationship probably will vary with the person, because the conversion of tryptophan to 5-HTP depends on the availability of tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4), and that can vary, since it is impacted by the folate metabolism, which in turn is impacted by the partial methylation cycle block. So you may have to experiment with the dosage. Somewhere around 1.5 grams (1500 milligrams) may be a place to start.

Best regards,

Rich