• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Applied kinesiology?

Nielk

This week I went to a chiropractor/nutritionist who uses applied kinesiology/muscle testing.
He found "weak" parts of my body. Firstly the lymph nodes which he said means I have an infection. H also said that my liver and kidney are weak so my body is not able to efficiently eliminate toxins. Then he checked which infection is causing the problem and came to the result that it was CMV (which is one of the viruses that shows up positive in my blood). He then tested and gave me a homeopathic bottle with liquid that said CMV on it and told me how many drops to use a day. He also said that I probably have other infections too but, he first has to treat this one for the others to show up as a problem.

This is not the craziest thing I ever tried but, would like to hear from others if they have experience with this mode of treatment and if they found it helpful.

Thanks,
Nielk

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
I've had experience with a few practitioners who use this. I also think I recall many people here using muscle testing/kinesiology to test supplements themselves. I've not found it consistently effective as a diagnostic or a guide to treatment, even from same practitioner. But I'm often the outlier for whom nothing jibes or works, so others should chime in here.

caledonia

It's about 90-95% reliable for myself for testing supplements and foods. My naturopath uses electrodermal screening which I think is supposed to be more reliable or at least faster.

You have to keep your mind neutral while using it, or you can skew the results.

Esther12

This was the most nutty thing my parents ever took me to.... maybe I just had a poor practitioner, but it seemed like a total scam.

ukxmrv

I tried this when I first became ill with ME in the 80's. Didn't get any benefit from the testing or the treatment offered.

Nielk

I guess then I am doing what I do best: wasting my time, energy and money.
That seems like the mantra pf my life since I have been ill.

I wonder, had I not tried anything to treat my CFS from day one - nine years ago, where would I be today?

Esther12

No way you should blame yourself for trying different things Nielk - it's really difficult living with a conditions like CFS, and all the uncertainty that surrounds it.

I think that maybe I've been too sceptical about various treatments, and maybe I should have been more willing to try out random supplements/diets... none of them seem consistently helpful for 'CFS', but different individuals are likely to respond differently, so who knows? It's hard to know what interventions may be worth a go, and which are not when the research that surrounds CFS seems so sparse and poor. My vote on this one would be: Kinesiology is not worth a go.

Poverty simplifies these decisions somewhat.

xrunner

My practitioner is both an applied kinesiologist and NAET practitioner and I use her in parallel with the main treatment I get from a medical doctor.
I've been seeing her for over a year now and it's worked well for me. However it took me a couple of months to be convinced. Initially I thought I was being ripped off but I carried on so I could say I tried it and also because I had read a positive review on NAET in an article by Dr Teitelbaum.

I found testing by my therapist quite reliable. Initially, out of scepticism/cynism I did not mentioned to her that I had positive lab results for Borrelia and Bartonella and elevated titres for EBV, CMV as well as Toxoplasma and Chlamydia Pneumonia.
However she got all those right on the spot through muscle testing, I mean all of them, whilst others that resulted negative were also negative by muscle testing.
I also muscle tested positive for XMRV and other MLV viruses.
My experience has been that it's unlikely it can cure these infections. The treatment may offer some benefits but it's difficult to say to what extent as my main treatment (antibiotics and other) contributed to the bulk of my improvements.
However I remember a small improvement post treatment for XMRV and EBV which could not be attributed to antibiotics. I also noticed a distinct improvement after the treatment for mitochondria and certain mitochondria detox enzymes which my labs said were low.

It's been very helpful instead in dealing with the side effects of antibiotics and other supplements and nutrients that I couldn't take or was intolerant to. It completely reversed the intolerance.
Since falling ill I always had chronically low levels of selenium and it was only at the end of last year that they reversed to normal (without supplementation).
It also helped with my allergy to dust mites but not completely, I'd say 70% cleared. It rid 100% of my intolerance to onions, chocolate and caffeine.
It helped with stomach and gut issues that popped up along the way.

Over time I learnt to muscle test myself and now I can tell beforehand if anything is potentially going to cause me an adverse reaction. I don't take any longer new supplements or medications without pre-muscle testing. I would wholeheartedly recommend any CFS sufferer to do the same, it can save a lot of unnecessary troubles or even relapses.

All in all it's a treatment worth trying as an adjunct, assuming one finds an honest and competent practitioner.

*GG*

This week I went to a chiropractor/nutritionist who uses applied kinesiology/muscle testing.
He found "weak" parts of my body. Firstly the lymph nodes which he said means I have an infection. H also said that my liver and kidney are weak so my body is not able to efficiently eliminate toxins. Then he checked which infection is causing the problem and came to the result that it was CMV (which is one of the viruses that shows up positive in my blood). He then tested and gave me a homeopathic bottle with liquid that said CMV on it and told me how many drops to use a day. He also said that I probably have other infections too but, he first has to treat this one for the others to show up as a problem.

This is not the craziest thing I ever tried but, would like to hear from others if they have experience with this mode of treatment and if they found it helpful.

Thanks,
Nielk

I am not familiar with Applied Kinesiology, but I go to a support group and the women who leads it is a big believer in muscle testing. She is very knowledgable and runs her own business helping out othter people with Fibro.

The detox thing seems to make sense to me, I think we live in an increasingly toxic world, so if your body cannot eliminate the toxins, I would imagine that this would lead to a decline in health. I did some detox work a few years ago, and other work, and my brain fog is much better than it used to be. I am back doing CSM/Questran to lower my inflammation levels. Just had some blood drawn yesterday, so will find out the results in a month or so with my next Dr visit.

GG

maddietod

You've already had the appointment and you've got the drops. Why not take them and see what happens? I had no luck with 2 rounds of NAET, but it works well for some people. I've made my own homeopathic remedies that have (temporarily) healed cat and pollen allergies. I'm seeing a very outside-the-box chiropractor right now who used muscle testing to figure out why my brain isn't working, and who got results immediately.

I'm a big fan of trying things out, although I have a huge bias towards trying inexpensive fixes first! I hope this works for you.....and if it doesn't, it's just another experiment.

Madie

*GG*

You've already had the appointment and you've got the drops. Why not take them and see what happens? I had no luck with 2 rounds of NAET, but it works well for some people. I've made my own homeopathic remedies that have (temporarily) healed cat and pollen allergies. I'm seeing a very outside-the-box chiropractor right now who used muscle testing to figure out why my brain isn't working, and who got results immediately.

I'm a big fan of trying things out, although I have a huge bias towards trying inexpensive fixes first! I hope this works for you.....and if it doesn't, it's just another experiment.

Madie

Is the Chiro a Chirpractic Neurologist? You might want to research that. FYI

GG

Nielk

As far as I know, he is a licensed chiropractor and nutritionist.
I have my second appointment tomorrow.
I'll keep you posted as to how it went.
Thanks for all your replies.

Nielk

I had another appointment today withe the chiropractor/nutritionist/kineologist. He did all kinds of muscle testing and said he found another pathogen that is disrupting my body: the borrelia bacteria which is an indication of Lyme. I was tested for Lyme in my blood work and it came back negative. I told him so but, he said those tests are very inaccurate. He gave me new drops to treat this bacteria and was told to continue with the CMV one.
I decided to stick with this for a while and see where it takes me. who knows?

Muscle Testing, Chiro et al

I was sick for 10 yrs before I got a dx of CEBV... that was in 1989 btw before they called it CFS :) I did have a dx when I first got ill but that was pesticide poisoning... didn't know about CFS til much later tho I did have it from '80 or '83...

That said aside for my reg dr I happened to get trained in "touch for health" the same year I became ill. Later I also had chiropractors/myopracter who did muscle testing and muscle balancing too.

In the 30 plus years I've been ill I'd say I had two MD's who were good and at least new about these illnesses (I also have FM and MCS) though they couldn't really do much for me otherwise. The rest of the drs were pretty much a waste of time and money (and still are!)

I have had much more benefit from chiropractors, myopractors, kineseologists (argh forgot how to spell), nutritionists, and other alternative treatments including detoxes. I remarried a guy who also has cfs/fm and mcs; for over 20 yrs. He's been very ill recently and again the drs have no clue and nothing is helping at all. I've been trying to get him to try some alternative things as I'm convinced they at least won't hurt and might just help. Otherwise he could just sit around waiting for some MD to figure out something which sure doesn't look like would happen any time soon...

So my answer is, YES! It helped me in many ways. I don't look for a cure, I look for whatever ways I can improve my situation whenever possible. I've used muscle testing for finding what things are a waste of money to try (suppliments), allergies etc and have found it's been accurate. However I will say there can be a big difference in the practioner. Some are much better at it than others. Usually a trained person, like a chiropractor who uses it regularly knows what they are doing :)

I have been seeing a rheumatologist for the last 2 years who also uses alternative practices in her office and I've had approximately 65 NAET treatments during the last 1 1/2 years. The NAET protocol for CFS is specific and lengthy and even in Dr. Devi's book "Say Goodbye to Illness" she states that it can take many treatments before seeing results for CFS. I became ill in 1983, went into somewhat of a remission through the 90s and then relapsed again about 10 years ago. I have some good days but still a lot of bad days, but I plan on sticking with NAET at least through the protocol because I believe there's something to it. Recently, I developed swelling and redness in my leg where I have titanium plates and screws. I went in for a NAET treatment and requested a treatment for titanium. Within 2-4 hours, the swelling and redness in my leg had gone. Overnight I developed severe abdominal pains but within 26 hours, the treatment had cleared, the pain was gone and I haven't had any problems since. Even my husband saw the proof.

This is a scam. Use common sense and reason and actually think about what this Dr. is telling you. I'm not saying this to be rude or to dash your hopes. I hope the best for you and I think treatments for PWC are just around the corner. Sorry if others disagree.

maddietod

I disagree that this is a scam, which would mean purposeful trickery for profit. People are experimenting with all sorts of ways to influence the body towards health, and some of them work for reasons most of us can't understand. Some of them don't work at all, or only work on a few people. I've gotten great relief from things I couldn't possibly explain to my family. Maybe some of this is the 'placebo effect,' but who understands that either? And who cares if I feel better?

I experiment widely with things that give me hope, are in my budget, and can't hurt me. Maybe medical treatments for ME are right around the corner, but I'm not going to hold my breath until they show up. I'm going to keep a lookout for new possibilities, because that's fun and rewarding for me.

Madie

I agree these types of treatments can be entertaining and if you're looking for "fun and rewarding" by all means, continue. Also very true, these types of treatments can offer a placebo effect which can be helpful and I had not thought about in my previous post.