• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alpha-Lipoic Acid 200 mg

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Has anyone had any bad reactions with Alpha Lipoic Acid. I had a bad spell last night and the only thing different is that I changed from my regular Acetyl-l-carnitine to one that has 200 mg of alpha Lipoic acid - I have been taking the new one for 4 days.

glen

I've been taking the NSI brand from vitacost for a couple years. No problems that I know of. I take one capsule twice a day.

I was happily ignorant when I started taking ALA and later learned that Andrew Cutler reccommends taking it every 3 hours. BLew that. Can notice when I don't have the stuff for a few days.

Had my mercury fillings out before starting though. Heard mercury fillings can be problematic for redistributing mercury from the fillings.

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Alpha-L...rnitine-HCl-1-600-mg-per-serving-240-Capsules

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Has anyone had any bad reactions with Alpha Lipoic Acid. I had a bad spell last night and the only thing different is that I changed from my regular Acetyl-l-carnitine to one that has 200 mg of alpha Lipoic acid - I have been taking the new one for 4 days.

glen

Yes, ALA can redistribute mercury and has a short half life (about 4 hours?) so you are better off taking a small dose every four hours so that it doesn't "drop" the mercury somewhere.

Sushi

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
LOVE ALA! I take Lipoic Acid Supreme, Designs for Health. 300 mg twice a day. My doctor has told me the amount and brand to take. Has been amazing for the nerves in my feet, no problems now. Great for POTS for sure. It is given to those with Diabetes a lot.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
LOVE ALA! I take Lipoic Acid Supreme, Designs for Health. 300 mg twice a day. My doctor has told me the amount and brand to take. Has been amazing for the nerves in my feet, no problems now. Great for POTS for sure. It is given to those with Diabetes a lot.

I was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences with Alpha Lipoic Acid

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Glenp it may well be that you have a problem with metals as Sushi says - perhaps a good idea to get tested for these before taking anymore ALA - I have a problem with mercury and wouldn't touch ALA with a bargepole until I have the problem amalgams out and a planned chelation protocol in place.

Tristen

ALA has been my number 1 mainstay for over a decade now. It's one of very few that I stick with. It's not that I notice any profound changes, just more an intuitive thing.

I've mostly used the Jarrow Alpha Lipoic Sustain 300 2x/day. It's time released and solves the short half life problem. Sometimes I like to use the active form, R-Lipoic Acid.

I started ALA at the suggestion of a doc in the late 90's, saying it was great for my liver and consequently, good for my disturbed immune system.