• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else feel revolting after a shower?

I get this when my health is not in a good place which is now. I no longer enjoy having one, they literally suck all my energy out of me and I am left feeling shaky, weak, like fainting and with chest pain/racing heart. Baths are completely out because I faint after those. It's not the water temp because I don't have hot showers.

Anyone found a solution for this? I hate it.

Valentijn

I know I get pretty wiped out if standing still or raising my arms a lot ... have you tried using a shower stool? Does sound like your BP could be dropping and your heart rate rising due to POTS.

But the thing I don't get is when i'm standing up anywhere else I don't get it, so could it just be shower only POTS? That would be weird wouldn't it.

yeah i feel exhausted too after having showers.As i have fibro as well im in a lot of pain as well.So i can relate to you tulip

ukxmrv

I faint in showers and have baths instead. For me, I'd always assumed POTS as standing and especially trying to use my arms at the same time is always hard for me.

In your case Tulip, it's reversed i.e. you faint in baths.

What's the water like in your area? Is it treated with chemicals.

Hi Tulip,

Two things are going on your autonomic nervous system is being affected by the temperature change even if it isnt that hot.
Second thing is your veins dilate which can make you feel sick.

My suggestions when I use to take a shower was sit on the floor of the shower not directly in the flow of water maybe a bit to the side.
Also open the shower door to let the steam out and some cool air in maybe once or twice.

Hugs I know it sucks!
Hope

BEG

I get this when my health is not in a good place which is now. I no longer enjoy having one, they literally suck all my energy out of me and I am left feeling shaky, weak, like fainting and with chest pain/racing heart. Baths are completely out because I faint after those. It's not the water temp because I don't have hot showers. Anyone found a solution for this? I hate it.

Way to go, Tulip. I've been saying this from the get-go. No one "gets" it. Showers, even sitting, using tepid water in a very cool room, are one of the biggest energy drainers in my life. It's embarrassing to admit how long I will postpone them. It's usually my filthy hair that sends me to the shower. No solutions, unfortunately. I've tried everything.

Is everyone affected this way, or is this an exclusive club for those of us with P.O.T.S.?

Valentijn

If you're having serious problems with both baths and showers, have you tried luke warm baths? Then you shouldn't get the vasodilation that comes with hot baths.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
I bought a hose for my showerhead, and kneel on my knees, soap up with Dr. Brommers soap and then put the water on to rinse. I try and make as little steam as possible, I think the chemicals in the water and soap also affect some. A nice thirsty bathrobe helps so that you do not have to dry off and can go straight to lie down for awhile.

glen

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Do you have a shower chair? Cooler water helps also. I have POTS so I am careful. I have a towel in the shower so I can't slip, a good shower chair and never let the water get hot. Helps a lot. I usually take baths. I have a shower head with hose also, then I sit and can use it, easier than with a shower head up top.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
When I take a shower I turn the heat up in the bathroom and take a luke warm almost cold shower. When I get out and dry off I turn the heat off right away and open the door. It takes awhile to get used to, but I feel much better when I get out.

kaffiend

Cortisol is bound to proteins in your blood - increase in temperature quickly releases it - which then shuts down cortisol from the adrenals (negative feedback). I have to take quick, luke-warm showers immediately upon waking (when cortisol is highest) to keep from being wiped out afterwards.

laura

I have also experienced what you talk about -- I even collapsed once in the shower, when I was much sicker. I have attributed it to poor adrenal functioning; when I am doing better, and when I am consistent in supplements that support my adrenals, showers are less taxing.

taniaaust1

Not just getting too warm can be a trigger for POTS, but raising ones arms can be common trigger too (I found out about that one the hard way, so then researched it and found out yes it is a known POTS trigger). So be aware if you are raising arms which may be causing this.

Chlorine in the water and be an issue if one has MCS. Maybe a shower filter could help?.

Thanks

Well today I earnt myself a huge egg bruise just above my eyebrow. I passed out in the shower and didn't make it on the floor in time. I was literally only in there for 30 secs and it was cold water. Maybe my brain has a problem with showers? lol.

A shower chair doesn't help. I faint after a bath because that causes my bp to drop and I think that is what is happening in the shower to. When I first got sick I spent the first 3 months fainting every single day after a shower or in the shower or on the loo, it wasn't pleasent.

TinyT

Oh Tulip thats awful!

Showers really tire me out too, especially if I have to wash my long hair.

I have POTS/OI so I think its a combination of- any prolonged static standing (not moving around), blood pooling in your feet/legs, warm/hot temperature, raising arms above your head....

I shower in the evenings most days as that is when my POTS is least severe.

If you used a shower chair and put your feet up would that help? Do you get blood pooling in your legs? (do they go red/purple and puffy?).

I forget, do you have POTS/OI? Perhaps before a shower you should load up on fluids and salt (like drink 500ml- 1 litre, make DIY rehydration mix or use a sports drink or vitalyte) to boost your BP.

Do you get pre-syncope? (pre-fainting) symptoms? I usually get heaps and heaps of nasty symptoms before I actually would faint, so I've not really properly fainted in a long time. I get really dizzy, nauseous, hot/cold & sweaty, woosy/light headed, my hearing goes faint & vision starts to grey out. When I get these symptoms I have to lie down or sit down with my head between my knees in a hurry. It sounds like you mustn't get much warnings signs though, that sucks.

You might have NMH- neurally mediated hypotension or postural hypotension, which is causing a big drop in BP when you are upright/standing and so your body responds by making you faint so you become horizontal in a hurry.

TinyT

how do i get a shower stool?i really need one.I'm really struggling to have a shower.

Most local chemists/pharmacies should have them. If you have a look for medical/disability equipment suppliers in your local area, they should also have shops where they sell them. I just googled the local ones and rang around to find the prices, then went and bought the cheapest one (they can be a bit expensive, I think mine was $80?)