• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FDA trying to ban all supplements?

http://www.naturalnews.com/032912_FDA_dietary_supplements.html

In the wake of hundreds of dietary supplements recently being outlawed across the EU, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has quietly unleashed a regulatory scheme that, if fully implemented, could ban virtually all dietary supplements in the USA that were formulated after 1994.

I would imagine this law in the US affects folks in Europe too that are under codex, but get supplements from the United States?

We are really up the creek without a paddle if the can pull this off. At least I will be.

There is a petition if folks click on the link.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Not to defend our degenerate government, but I find Natural News to be a mostly alarmist and inaccurate site. Almost all the references they make are to their own articles.

And if it is true, signing a petition is a complete and utter waste of time, unless you have an extra few million dollars to send to the degenerates that are destroying our country. They could care less what the public thinks.

You always crack me up when you refer to somebody as a degenerate. I agree we have a bunch of degenerates representing us as elected officials.

Not to defend our degenerate government, but I find Natural News to be a mostly alarmist and inaccurate site. Almost all the references they make are to their own articles.

And if it is true, signing a petition is a complete and utter waste of time, unless you have an extra few million dollars to send to the degenerates that are destroying our country. They could care less what the public thinks.

Intruding into private grief (Europe has far stonger consumer protection re: "supplements") but for an alternatative perspective on stateside Big Supplement economics see JAMA actually gets it right regarding supplements .

IVI

maddietod

Oops! (I guess) I sent a letter. I wish there was a snopes.com for this kind of stuff.

kurt

I just scanned through the FDA document:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceCom...uments/DietarySupplements/ucm257563.htm#app-b

Nowhere did I find any evidence this was an underhanded attempt to ban all supplements. What it appears to be is an effort to keep track of all new ingredients that have not yet been experience-proven to be safe. And the application (near the end of that page) the supplement companies must file for new ingredients simply asks questions about the ingredient and how it can be shown to be safe.

I wish the FDA would go farther back and apply this to all the food additives (artificial preservatives, flavorings, colorings, flavor enhancers, etc) they allow in foods.

Maybe in theory this regulation could be used to stop a new ingredient from coming to market if they are not convinced it has been proven safe. That is not a ban on all supplements. The huge US supplements industry is not invisible and in fact is a productive part of the US economy, I don't think the public nor the supplements industry would sit back and let themselves be outlawed by rogue FDA employees. More than likely this is a sincere effort by the FDA to protect the public against false supplement claims and dangerous ingredients. We can argue about whether the FDA is competent to provide that protection. But this does not look like the drastic threat it is being portrayed as.