• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chrysalis Effect

Hi, I was just wondering if you'd heard of the chrysalis effect? This is the 'map' to recovery I have been using and I have found it to be very supporting and extreemely helpful.

Hope that helps

Jenn xx

kurt

This is the first I've heard of 'chrysalis effect' applied to CFS. However, according to wiki, the chrysalis is the pupa form of a butterfly. So how does that provide a 'map' to recovery from CFS?

I think you will find a lot of skepticism on this forum about something like this.

I have known CFS patients who had spontaneous remissions that they can not really explain, they just keep trying treatments and suddenly something works. What worries me is that there is often a 'superstition' effect that kicks in at that point, they or their healthcare advisors attribute the remission to the most recent thing they tried, when really CFS can wax and wane on its own. When that superstition then becomes part of a commercial therapy, claims are often made based on selected cases. Those cases where people recover are turned into testimonials, and the cases where people do poorly or even get worse from the therapy are ignored. This is called 'cherry picking' the data in scientific circles, and it is pseudo-science, or worse, outright scientific fraud. Thus we like to see controlled studies here on this forum, and that is what is usually discussed, research-based claims.

But I am always interested in learning something new. What is this 'map' to recovery? Even if there is no research behind the crysalis effect, perhaps there is something anecdotal here that can be learned and might help someone.

maddietod

Well, I'll bite. I went to the 'chrysalis effect' website and watched as much as I could stand of an embarassing video supposedly describing how I feel. Then a woman danced around while the voiceover told me to experience an amazing recovery. There are no obvious links to information about what this "treatment" consists of, so I assume it's another "change your thinking, change your life" program.

I will say that I've used EFT for over 10 years to take the negative charge off of difficult emotional experiences. Never cost me a dime, and has enormously reduced my burden of stress. I'm all for reducing stress. But the mind-body connection isn't direct enough to heal any of my CFS manifestations, like PEM.......I think that's obvious to everybody on this forum.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Hi, I was just wondering if you'd heard of the chrysalis effect? This is the 'map' to recovery I have been using and I have found it to be very supporting and extreemely helpful.

Hope that helps

Jenn xx

Yeah, I'm always interested in dubious treatments offered by people that only have a history of 1 or 2 posts on the forum.

Min

The women profiting from selling this 'cure' have used Lynn Gilderdale's name in their online advertising without her family's permission - they removed the strange insinuation that the profoundly affected young woman would have recovered if she'd used their 'treatment' only when Dr John Greensmith intervened.

Are you receiving renumeration from advertising here, or from selling the 'treatment' Jennifer1?