• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My gut flora results - How to fix my gut?

Hello, recently I had a gut flora analysis done and attached the results. Well, it clearly shows that I am suffering from dysbiosis and lack probiotics. Among the aerobic organisms the Serratia specifies seem to be the most striking. My value of 3x10^8 severely exceeds the reference range of 0-1x10^4. Additional papers state that serratia produces histamine which could explain my chronic sinusitis. Apparently, it makes sense to get rid of these bacteria. However, considering my low levels of bifidobacterium and lactobacillus strains I am scared of damaging my gut flora even more. I don't think I can get rid of them without antibiotics, though. So I thought about taking Rifaximin 1600mg/d for 7 days and then starting a long term probiotic treatment with VSL#3 and lactobacillus casei shirota (due to its positive effect on mood and constipation). What do you think about this plan?

My results: gut_results.jpg

xrunner

I wouldn't know how to interpret your tests. And I don't know the abx you mentioned.
If you don't like antibiotics, you could always try herbs. Some like goldenseal or grapefruitseed extract are quite powerful antibacterial and also effective against certain types of yeast. I'd also investigate mopping agents (bentonite, clay etc) to remove intestinal biofilm.
Regarding your chronic sinusitis it is unlikely to be caused by problems in the gut but rather by bacterial biofilm which protects bacterial colonies in your respiratory system and makes antibiotics ineffective. I'd look into anti-biofilm agents to use in conjunction with appropriate abx for the sinus.
All the best

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

PS: I always use VSL 3 prior, during and after any antibiotic course. I use it in conjunction with L Rhamnosus which VSL 3 doesn't have but very helpful for the gut. Can't see the point of waiting to take probiotics after the abx. If your gut is already depleted you may want to "fill it up" a bit before starting any abx.

Waverunner

Hello, recently I had a gut flora analysis done and attached the results. Well, it clearly shows that I am suffering from dysbiosis and lack probiotics. Among the aerobic organisms the Serratia specifies seem to be the most striking. My value of 3x10^8 severely exceeds the reference range of 0-1x10^4. Additional papers state that serratia produces histamine which could explain my chronic sinusitis. Apparently, it makes sense to get rid of these bacteria. However, considering my low levels of bifidobacterium and lactobacillus strains I am scared of damaging my gut flora even more. I don't think I can get rid of them without antibiotics, though. So I thought about taking Rifaximin 1600mg/d for 7 days and then starting a long term probiotic treatment with VSL#3 and lactobacillus casei shirota (due to its positive effect on mood and constipation). What do you think about this plan?

My results: View attachment 6058

I think your plan is pretty good. VSL#3 is a very good probiotic and Rifaximin is a nice antibiotic because it only works in the gut. There are some studies that showed effectiveness of Rifaximin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and KDM is using it for his patients. I would give it a try.

anniekim

My results: View attachment 6058

Hi xdopamine,

Do you mind me asking which test this is and where you got it done? It seems to be in German.

Thank you