• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

coughing reaction to kefir?

hi, i wonder if anyone can shed any light on this?

since starting on kefir i have had a couple of fantastic reactions - improvement in excema like dry skin on my face and feeling like my sleep has improved significantly - much less waking and more refreshed - wonderful!

however, i am getting a really annoying cough which is also leading to my getting asthmatic and having to take my salbutamol inhaler. the reaction is generally within about 1/2 an hour of drinking the kefir. it feels like i have trapped phlegm around my breastbone and the cough is kind of hacking but doesn't seem to move it. i don't feel like i have a cold and the reaction is clearly linked to drinking the kefir. the first day i had it the reaction was most severe but its still bad enough to have me take my inhaler.

can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is happening?

i perhaps should mention that i've been making the kefir with either cow or goat's milk and previously had gone dairy free on the advice of dr myhill with my history of colic, asthma, migraines and cfs (and feeling better). i am still dairy free except for the kefir. the cow / goat's milk doesn't seem to make any difference, i cough on both. i might try making it with soya milk but have read reports of the kefir not surviving that very well? i never got this coughing reaction to milk so i'm not convinced that this is relevant at all!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I think it may be relevant to the milk, you may be casein intolerant, but the only way to be certain is to make your next batch with coconut or soy milk. Both do well for kefir. Its not good to need your inhaler more.

Wayne

Kefir Reactions

can anyone offer any suggestions as to what is happening?

Hi Harrycat,

Kefir literature mentions that a lot of people will have some initial reactions when beginning to consume it. I was one of those people, and my reactions were pretty strong. Initially I had some mild stomach upset, but the most striking reaction was the almost immediate drainage of my sinuses each time I had a bit, like I was in the middle of a major cold. Normally, this would usually pass within 5-10 minutes.

As the weeks went by however, I noticed both of these reactions became less and less noticeable. I then began to notice some positive changes. Two of the most significant were that my somewhat chronically stuffy sinuses began to clear. I also noticed that some significant stomach/GI bloating I often experience improved considerably. BTW, I make my own kefir using raw goat milk.

Best, Wayne