• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how do you manage with stiffness at legs?

joshi81

hi it's few month that i read you without writing.
I'm from Italy so sorry if my english won't be so good. I have cfs since 2006 so it's 5 years. All my test came good i also evaluated lactic acid in blood at rest and after stress and it came back normal.
Anyway the point is another i was curious to ask someone how does he/she manage with that sense of stiffness in legs (i don't know if it is the correct term but i mean the feeling of having legs rigid,not relaxed and stretched)
Does someone has this symptom and have a solution for it? something that has worked? thanks

Wonko

Not a solution as such but my furniture is arranged so that I always have something to lean on when upright, helps with mobility inside quite a bit.
It becomes routine to work round it (the stiffness) at least indoors.

From personal experience I'd advise against stretching routines while the muscles are like that, it only makes them worse.

penny

I get muscle cramping, I'm not sure if it's the same as the stiffness you have. Magnesium supplements seem to help some. Also I think avoiding calcium or vitamin D supplements helps. I'm pretty sure my cramping and pain get worse when I've taken calcium and vit. D. Might be coincidence though.

Ciao Josh

Sono vent'anni che ho ME/CFS e ho sofferto molto con questo problemaun tipo di rigidit e gonfiezza dei muscoli delle gambe, sopratutto dei polpacci; comunque di recente si migliorato di se. Mi serve molto fare venti minuti di aquamassagio con aqua caldo o tiepido; anche le lezioni del Tecnico Alexander, che mi fanno rilassare e allungare i muscoli (all'inizio non potevo nemmeno tenere dritte le gambe!); e finalmente qualche esercizio "soft", che non un esercizo normale ma mira al rilassamento muscolare (sono manuali di questo tipo di esercizio).

Spero che una o altra di queste suggestioni ti risulti utile.

Auguri!

Apollonia

valentinelynx

Years ago when my illness was at its worst, my legs were so stiff it was hard to sit on the toilet... there was up and down and no in-between. And my thighs hurt badly when I tried to bend the knees. What helped? Well, aside from whatever helped me suddenly improve back then, which I can't identify, I also did very gentle yoga stretches. Nowadays, what keeps my muscles from getting too rigid is a 90 minute thai massage every 2 weeks. Regular massage doesn't do it. It's the way that Thai massage works on muscle connections and connective tissue that helps. It's expensive, but does more for me than anything else. Sometimes wish I lived in Thailand, so I could afford a massage every day.

Marg

I found a very good massage therapist. He said when I first went to him my legs were like too logs, they were so tight. The fascia wsa terrible and the release of that is not fun but so much better afterwords.

My legs/ arms get stiff/ feel like lead/ like they are not apart of me kind of feeling.. when I am having a food reaction.. and when my gut is very leaky with candida.. Even with a pinch of something intolerant my gut gets very tight and my other muscles follow..

Our guts affects all of our muscles.. Just think of what it feels like when you have a case of diarrhea.. the muscles in our legs get very weak and spastic .. My reactions/candida are less severe when I am taking high dose of p5p and biotin ..

I can be out running one day when I have eaten everything that I do not have problems with. To the next day not wanting to move because of a reaction to an intolerant food/ supplement/ something I put on my skin..

*GG*

I found a very good massage therapist. He said when I first went to him my legs were like too logs, they were so tight. The fascia wsa terrible and the release of that is not fun but so much better afterwords.

Does this masssage therapist practice myofascial release?

GG

ukxmrv

Welcome to the forum Josh,

Is your stiffness worse in the morning and then get better or does it get worse during the day?

Warm baths help my stiff legs but make my ME POTs symptoms worse (I over heat and get very faint).

Over a long period of time (months) accupuncture gradually helped the stiffness. I also had trigger point therapy (dry needling) into the painful areas of my legs. Normal massage makes the pain and stiffness worse for me.

In my case the stiffness started after a road traffic accident and multiple injuries from that. The stiffness was worse in the mornings.

I have to be very careful on how I sit. A conventional seat at a desk or table makes the stiffness much worse. I try to sit on a soft sofa with my legs out straight as much as possible.

joshi81

Ciao!
Grazie Apollonia..di dove sei?

Well, my stiffness is worsewhen i relax..so in teh morning,when i stay sat a long time and improves with movement.
But..if i do too much movement or too much effort they become rigid.. so i don't know if it is amatter of nerves or what... who knows..