• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question on moderate exercise

AK2

So, Im on a new sleeping aid, and it's allowing me to sleep very long, which is a plus... no more insomnia episodes so far :) Im gonna start eating a restricted CFS approved diet tomorrow, and try this all out for atleast 6 months to see how I feel.

My question is about moderate exercise. Obviously doing heavy jogging and weight lifting will hurt my immune system and stop recovery efforts. However, what about just walking? I dont FEEL tried when I do it, and am getting worried about my weight. I dont know if it will hurt me though.

My question is, should I basically do nothing to ensure that my immune system recovers, or will walking not hurt or maybe even help?

*GG*

So, Im on a new sleeping aid, and it's allowing me to sleep very long, which is a plus... no more insomnia episodes so far :) Im gonna start eating a restricted CFS approved diet tomorrow, and try this all out for atleast 6 months to see how I feel.

My question is about moderate exercise. Obviously doing heavy jogging and weight lifting will hurt my immune system and stop recovery efforts. However, what about just walking? I dont FEEL tried when I do it, and am getting worried about my weight. I dont know if it will hurt me though.

My question is, should I basically do nothing to ensure that my immune system recovers, or will walking not hurt or maybe even help?

I would think that walking is not even moderate exercise unless you are walking about 15min miles or so. I have read of some people doing weight lifting, and I think that might not be so bad because it is often anaerobic exercise. Not well versed on the aerobic vs. anaerobic exercising debate, but sounds interesting.

I would say work your way up gradually and see how you feel. I think exercise is actually good for your immune system, but you have to be careful not to over do it! Makes sense that if you were to fatigue your body to much, then you will have much more "damage" for your body to repair, which could lead to a decline in your health.

Also, what is a "CFS approved diet"? Is this just something your Dr recommended or some support group? I have never read of such a thing.

GG

Esther12

Hi AK2 - GG's advice of gradually working out what you're comfortable doing sounds sensible.

I've not heard of a 'cfs approved diet' either. It's best to try to eat healthily. I'm low sugar, try not to have loads of glutton (because I love it too much, and otherwise eat little else), get enough fruit and veg, etc; no caffeine or alcohol - but they make me feel terrible, so had little choice but to cut them out. Some CFS patients do find excluding certain foods useful, but I don't think there's any particular diet that's been found to be helpful.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Walking and stretching if you can do them are probably a good thing for your body and immune system. The problem comes if you have an increase in symptoms whilst walking or in the days afterwards. The feeling of being more ill after exercise could be to do with damage that is going on in the body due to pushing too hard. I have seen the effects of this in myself through a cell free DNA test which bascially shows the amount of damage you are doing to your body. I can function pretty well in moving about the house, housework, short walks etc but my cell free DNA was pretty high which means i have been pushing too hard. How do i knwo ihave been pushing too hard? because i feel lousy all the time. My Doctor has recommended that even though i feel like i can do it i should rest more and not spend all my time feeling ill - i can if i rest enough now feel sort of ok, even normalish, she wants me to stay at the level for a while before doing more and even then only gradually.
If you can walk, and still feel ok then i would do it, but if you feel terrible all the time at the moment then it might not be wise just yet. When i do walk i also go very slowly and this also makes abig difference. I can often start out on a walk feeling great but by the time i have walked round my garden i need to use a stick to get back to the house.
Good luck, Justy.

ukxmrv

Do you have post exertional symptoms after walking (i.e. sore glands, increased weakness, sleeping problems, fevers, pain, brain fog)?

If you don't know, try a test. Keep a record of your symptoms and exertion for a week. Choose a time of hormonal stability if a woman (one that you know your reactions to).

Then go for a walk, record the distance.

Keep a record of symptoms for the next 12, 24, 48 and 72 hours. See how you are for the rest of the week.