• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Staying "methylated"

mellster

Marco
Hi Rich,

What would be a good way to ensure continued methylation? I have b-complex at work and at home, but I am not sure whether I'd overdose taking it twice a day. However I feel that everyone's preferred methylation cocktail should be somehow split up into smaller doses and taken throughout the day to ensure proper absorption and prevent wasting a one-time high dosage if the body cannot take it all at once. What are your thoughts on this? TIA

richvank

Hi Rich,

What would be a good way to ensure continued methylation? I have b-complex at work and at home, but I am not sure whether I'd overdose taking it twice a day. However I feel that everyone's preferred methylation cocktail should be somehow split up into smaller doses and taken throughout the day to ensure proper absorption and prevent wasting a one-time high dosage if the body cannot take it all at once. What are your thoughts on this? TIA

Hi, mellster.

Since B-complex vitamins are water-soluble, dividing the dosage and taking it more than once per day probably makes sense. The only one of the B vitamins that can be overdosed is B6, and it takes of the order of a gram per day to produce symptoms of numbness in the fingers. The symptoms are reversible if the B6 dosage is decreased. I commonly find markers for low B6 on the MAP panels PWCs send me. I think it gets used because it is necessary for transamination reactions between amino acids, and PWCs use these more than normal because they are feeding amino acids into their Krebs cycle and burning them faster than normal. I think the reason is that glutathione depletion inhibits the ability of the Krebs cycle to burn carbs and fats.

Best regards,

Rich

Best regards,

Rich

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Hey Rich--

Wat about the transdermal glutathione... Will using that at toxic crisis moments help the liver regain it's capacity to methylate properly? Or will it not make a big difference in the bigger picture?

richvank

Hey Rich--

Wat about the transdermal glutathione... Will using that at toxic crisis moments help the liver regain it's capacity to methylate properly? Or will it not make a big difference in the bigger picture?

Hi, DB.

I don't know. I do know that some people with MCS report that using a glutathione nose spray helps them to get through acute exposures to some inhaled toxin. But that may be acting in the olfactory epithelium of the nasal cavity rather than in the liver. Sounds like a good experiment!

Rich