• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: WPI Says No to Retraction Request/ Levy Study Dashes Hopes /NCI Shuts the Door on XMRV

I wonder though

My big thing is this. Its been over 2 years since they found this link to XMRV and nothing else has really happened since. How many more years for any progress if it is the cause? There is no doubt it has something to do with the immune system, but the evidence is still debatable. I am reserving judgement until further research. Truly neither side has conclusively proven its case to me.

When that paper came out I was totally surprised and suspicious, Levy said today in a telephone interview. Who knew there would be pressure on the government to do these expensive studies? Ive never been around anything quite so dramatic and misleading and misunderstood for so long. There are financial ramifications, and medical and health ramifications.

What a peculiar statement! I can't make hide nor hair of what it means.

Isn't Levy talking about the Science paper? He is saying he was suspicious of it from the start. He knew the government would have to put some money into doing what they never had before, studying ME/CFS The medical and health implications were the possibility of the blood supply being contaminated.

The government does NOT want to study what they dismissed decades ago and gave the ridiculous name chronic fatigue syndrome. Their hand was forced due to the implications of a retrovirus running rampant through the human population and the blood supply. So, we owe WPI and the Science paper a debt of gratitude for forcing the government's hand to research ME/CHF.

i'm terrified about what will happen to those of us who cannot wait for another breakthrough. i feel so helpless. part of me is sure xmrv is it, but even if it is, the wpi will be too busy trying to prove it for years to come, instead of working on treatments.

i spend all day trying to convince myself that it will be OK....but i don't believe it anymore. it will only be OK for the newer patients. even the WPI admits that ARV's won't be enough, and all we will have for several years, are these 3 ARV's, one of which is very toxic.

i have gone, in the past few years, from believing i can get all my health back if i just fight hard enough, to feeling so foolish for thinking that. how could i be so naive?

now it looks like CFS will be the story of my life. it will never be over.

I don't really see any silver lining in this. I think the WPI is being marginalized. The Singh paper seemed to be the silver bullet. All the talk of contamination seemed like speculation, but the Singh paper seemed to be "proof" that XMRV doesn't exist outside of contaminated laboratories. (Is anyone asking Singh to "retract" her research showing the presence of XMRV in prostate tissue samples from prostate cancer patients? Is tissue staining as prone to contamination as blood samples? If I were her, I would want to know why her old study on prostate cancer showed XMRV but her new study shows it does not exist in anybody. The prostate cancer/XMRV researchers have a lot of egg on their faces if XMRV simply does not exist, as they seemed to spark this wild goose chase in the first place.)

Again, I don't see any silver lining. I suspect that CFS will return to being an "orphaned" disease in very short order. I really doubt that the XMRV "episode" has sparked any lasting interest within the scientific community about this illness. Those scientists were interested in the fact that a new retrovirus appeared to have been discovered, not in the fact that CFS patients suffer lifelong disabling disease in mostly quiet, unacknowledged misery.

Common sense is not so common, unfortunately.

With the aggressive stance against WPI and XMRV, I fear that a similar campaign would be mounted against research disproving this connection too Tulip.

Further study on enteroviruses would be welcome, but I dont think it is going to 'save the day''. There is sufficient literature on enteroviruses as the cause of ME, yet it is being ignored.

I am angry about the whole thing. Dr Dowsett, Dr Chia and Dr Hyde are all of the enterovirus school of thought because the evidence backs it up for true ME. From what I can gather Annette Whittemores daughter has true ME, so why isn't she also putting effort into enteroviruses??. Enteroviruses are nasty nasty viruses and have been found in living ME patients and deceased ME patients. ME being a sibling to polio is the most likely and common sense theory that exists. Common sense has seriously gone out the window! and in 20 years time we will all be stuck in the same bloody place :Retro mad:

I am angry about the whole thing. Dr Dowsett, Dr Chia and Dr Hyde are all of the enterovirus school of thought because the evidence backs it up for true ME. From what I can gather Annette Whittemores daughter has true ME, so why isn't she also putting effort into enteroviruses??. Enteroviruses are nasty nasty viruses and have been found in living ME patients and deceased ME patients. ME being a sibling to polio is the most likely and common sense theory that exists. Common sense has seriously gone out the window! and in 20 years time we will all be stuck in the same bloody place :Retro mad:

Does anyone know if Montoya or Lipkin are looking at enteroviruses? I wonder what their take is? As I have lots of intense and widespread enterovirus infection I am always interested in what people are doing/saying about them.

Does anyone know if Montoya or Lipkin are looking at enteroviruses? I wonder what their take is? As I have lots of intense and widespread enterovirus infection I am always interested in what people are doing/saying about them.

Their study, as I remember, is looking for 'all known mammalian viruses' - so enterviruses should definitely be in there.

Their study, as I remember, is looking for 'all known mammalian viruses' - so enterviruses should definitely be in there.

They should find all known viruses, then.

This is just what the WPI did several years ago. And yes, we have got enteroviruses. But we have also got many other viruses, ones that ought to be kept under conrtrol by the immune system. So our immune systems are malfunctionuing.
The question is why?

Hence the MLV hypothesis as these viruses cause immunodeficiency.

i agree. enterviruses, herpes viruses, parvpb19, candida, etc...should be OK for normal humans to carry.

a retrovirus is causing the problem and all the inflammation. xmrv fits everything so perfectly....but i guess many other retros would too

i agree. enterviruses, herpes viruses, parvpb19, candida, etc...should be OK for normal humans to carry.

a retrovirus is causing the problem and all the inflammation. xmrv fits everything so perfectly....but i guess many other retros would too

I don't agree, not for true ME anyway. It is already proven through polio that a certain percentage of the population can not cope with an enterovirus infection and that it leads to permanent disability. Enteroviruses also play a part in type 1 diabetes and other diseases.

You may want to read this: http://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/aboutev_mid.shtml

http://www.enterovirusfoundation.org/symptoms.shtml

Tulip, if enteroviruses are a known cause of CFS/ME, why do we not get treatment or medical care or welfare for being sick and disabled by this known virulent pathogen?
(It has been thirty years)

Enteroviruses were well known about in the fifties after. the polio outbreaks.
So why has there been no recognition of this?

Tulip, if enteroviruses are a known cause of CFS/ME, why do we not get treatment or medical care or welfare for being sick and disabled by this known virulent pathogen?
(It has been thirty years)

Enteroviruses were well known about in the fifties after. the polio outbreaks.
So why has there been no recognition of this?

Only the cause of ME, not CFS. There has been recognition of it if you research the history of ME, but since the introduction of the term CFS everything has become confused, lost and ME has vanished into the abyss. There is now a huge group of people dumped into the same basket which includes ME and CFS and a whole heap of other illnesses. Outbreaks of ME followed outbreaks of polio. History is telling us loud and clear that enteroviruses cause ME (not CFS) and so is science. Hyde and Dowsett are the world leaders on ME.

Why do you think the term CFS was invented?. What has the US government done with gulf war illness? They know the cause of it and what it is doing to people and the massive death rate, yet their offical stance is it does not exist. And they have swept us sufferers under the carpet for decades, lied to us and the public, trivialised the disease all the time knowing full well that it is an infectious disease. They did the same thing to HIV in the early days until HIV patients mounted massive protests.