• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad CFS Article on Yahoo Health News Today

maddietod

It's easiest for the "news" media to copy what they read on other sites. Investigation? Costs money, requires intelligence.

Carrigon

IMO, it has NOT been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that XMRV is not the cause of CFIDS/ME, and these articles are all gossip rag material. But it's amazing how much the media will just not stop stepping on us at every chance they get.

caledonia

Uh, it never was proven or stated by any research that XMRV WAS the cause, so how can you say that it's proven NOT to the cause?

The only thing ever stated was that XMRV was associated with CFS. In that case, you could say that XMRV is not associated with CFS and that's it. Anything else is crap.

justinreilly

Uh, it never was proven or stated by any research that XMRV WAS the cause, so how can you say that it's proven NOT to the cause?

The only thing ever stated was that XMRV was associated with CFS. In that case, you could say that XMRV is not associated with CFS and that's it. Anything else is crap.

It hasn't been shown that HGRVs are unassociated with ME or don't cause ME. But assuming it were shown that HGRVs are unassociated with ME, as Coffin wrongly claims, then that would imply lack of causation.

Carrigon

Regardless of whether or not XMRV is a cause, the point of these horrible articles always seems to be to make us sound bad. Screaming the awful "Chronic Fatigue" name and then screaming, "Guess what, there's still no proof these people aren't crazy", that seems to be the point every time they do these articles. And I can't believe after all these years we are still seeing this.