• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Win money for ME/CFS Research II: The 1.25 million Vivint Facebook Contest

a couple of things I noticed- there are actually 8 (my mistake, revert to 5)regions, with one overall winner. I agree that we should put everything we have begind WPI once the voting begins next week.

Right now, however, we are in the nomination stage. WPI looks safe to be in the competition, but I think we should be giving some endorsement to CAA at this point. Vivant will match donations up to $2500 to any charity that makes it to the top 20. We are closing the gap, but 20th spot is still consistently about 50 votes ahead. What a waste that would be to miss this opportunity for money when it would be so easy to close that gap.
Daily vote. first time you will need to like the page, then after just click endorse daily Thankyou!
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/318

Thanks Helen41. I missed the Matching Donations section. Since the WPI won't lose anything by getting votes in for other charities and moving them up into Round II - I will use your strategy....thanks...

I edited the article to get the Matching Donations in there. :cool:

Top Prize - $250,000- The top vote getter overall has 7322 votes....the WPI is in 7th place overall with 2307 suggesting they would have a very difficult time winning the top prize.
While not strictly incorrect, 7322 votes is only around 200 votes a day from when the voting started in the nomination stage (April 25). I don't know if the other group has been a consistent vote-geter or whether it arrived late like the WPI but I certainly think that the WPI would have gotten a lot more than 2307 votes if Chase Community Giving hadn't been the big focus. Maybe somebody is keeping track of how quickly the WPI has been going up - I'm guessing it has received maybe 2000 votes in the last week, or less.

Maybe I'm an optimist but I wouldn't give up on the WPI winning overall.

I've heard it suggested that it might be good if the WPI didn't do too well in Round 1 because the other groups might try to make a big effort from the start to try to beat them while if one can make them complacent, it could be good. Who knows. One thing I'd like is for it to keep a low profile so some of the big vote-geters from Chase Community Giving don't hear about it until the nomination stage is over.

While not strictly incorrect, 7322 votes is only around 200 votes a day from when the voting started in the nomination stage (April 25). I don't know if the other group has been a consistent vote-geter or whether it arrived late like the WPI but I certainly think that the WPI would have gotten a lot more than 2307 votes if Chase Community Giving hadn't been the big focus. Maybe somebody is keeping track of how quickly the WPI has been going up - I'm guessing it has received maybe 2000 votes in the last week, or less.

Maybe I'm an optimist but I wouldn't give up on the WPI winning overall.

Good point Dolphin...It doesn't sound like you're being optimistic at all.

I would think we could muster 200 votes a day.....

Thanks Cort.
Sorry for all the comments ... and here's another one.
The IACFS/ME might be worth a mention - they're now in 49th position in central with 68 votes (think they only joined in the last few days). 20th position has 195 votes.
They again might benefit from the matching money if they got into the top 20.

I've heard it suggested that it might be good if the WPI didn't do too well in Round 1 because the other groups might try to make a big effort from the start to try to beat them while if one can make them complacent, it could be good. Who knows.
I was just looking at "pacific" - Prader-Willi California Foundation is in 4th position in 1203 votes. It might make winning overall easier if the Prader-Willi vote was split; this might be more likely to happen if the Prader-Willi California Foundation thinks it has a chance of winning its region. So it might be better to not have the WPI win or at least win by so much the Prader-Willi group decided to give up on pacific.

The overall key IMO is to get as many people as possible to start voting on June 12. Unlike Chase, this is a marathon not a sprint. The number of days we have to vote is critical.

For example, charity A starts with 300 people voting per day and charity B starts with 400 people voting per day. In one week's time, charity A has 2100 votes and charity B has 2800 votes. Now charity A adds another 100 people on day 8 on the contest, they will always have this 700 vote gap that they will have to make up and they will have to get more people than the 300 that charity B has, to make up the 700 vote gap. It can become overwhelming difficult to make up that gap as time goes on!

If other charities have more people than us starting on day one, we could be in trouble. In order to leverage our votes, our goal should be to get everyone on board to start from day one, not to pick them up in the middle of the contest like we could do with Chase.

The overall key IMO is to get as many people as possible to start voting on June 12. Unlike Chase, this is a marathon not a sprint. The number of days we have to vote is critical.

For example, charity A starts with 300 people voting per day and charity B starts with 400 people voting per day. In one week's time, charity A has 2100 votes and charity B has 2800 votes. Now charity A adds another 100 people on day 8 on the contest, they will always have this 700 vote gap that they will have to make up and they will have to get more people than the 300 that charity B has, to make up the 700 vote gap. It can become overwhelming difficult to make up that gap as time goes on!

If other charities have more people than us starting on day one, we could be in trouble. In order to leverage our votes, our goal should be to get everyone on board to start from day one, not to pick them up in the middle of the contest like we could do with Chase.

I agree - we need a massive blast of publicity in the immediate run-up to Phase 2 and to alert people to the sign-up for getting a daily email reminder.

Dophin - can you clarify for me, is the reminder link on FB just for WPI vote reminders or is a page that will also use strategy to maximize CFS money even if it means abandoning WPI if it doesn't look winnable and voting another region instead, like Canada.

Thanks.

Dophin - can you clarify for me, is the reminder link on FB just for WPI vote reminders or is a page that will also use strategy to maximize CFS money even if it means abandoning WPI if it doesn't look winnable and voting another region instead, like Canada.

Thanks.
It is just for WPI reminders. However, at the moment, I'm just using it as my daily reminder to vote - I feel the WPI is looking safe for the nomination stage so have been voting for other groups in the last few days. I put the vivint link for other groups in my "favorites" section of my browser.

Thanks Cort.
Sorry for all the comments ... and here's another one.
The IACFS/ME might be worth a mention - they're now in 49th position in central with 68 votes (think they only joined in the last few days). 20th position has 195 votes.
They again might benefit from the matching money if they got into the top 20.
In just over a day, the IACFS/ME have moved up to 33rd position in central with 138 votes. 20th position has 229 votes.

Cannot be emphasized enough that endorsing WPI right now is a waste of an endorsement!! They are definitely in the number one spot, they only need to be in the top twenty.

This is hurting WPI's chances to win big money by showing our strength now.

Secondly, there are many other orgs that are struggling for the top twenty that need every endorsement that we have, let's win the $2,500 match for them at least.

Pandora is in the running in the eastern region, but because they are below #50 you can't see it, here's the link to endorse
http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/868

CAA needs 138 endorsements, Rocky Mountain is sitting in the 20th spot, The National ME/FM Network is perfect right now - easily in the top 20 but not threatening anyone.

The IACFS/ME, as Dolphin said, needs about 100 votes to get into the running.