• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

90% cured from bed bound with Histrelief / Histame / Daosin

undcvr

There are several catagories of food out there, Histamine producing, forming and reducing foods. Choosing more of the last one in our diets must surely also be helpful of we can't afford to take the Histame 3X a day ???

Can someone please tell me what does ' non-immune system-based food intolerances ' mean ? It is on the cover of Histame and I can't figure it out.

maddietod

I'm very interested in this thread because benedryl works amazingly well getting me to sleep and keeping me asleep for 7 hours at a stretch. If I try Histame or Daosin, and my sleep reverts to awful, can I add the benedryl back into the mix?

What is the difference between Daosin and Histame? Do you dose according to package directions? And does anybody have a link to a fabulous resource for information about histamine containing, producing, and reducing foods? I can certainly google about it, but if somebody has already sifted through the offerings, that would be great for me.

Finally, for those of you who have had good results, how much attention have you paid to histamine-related foods?

Thanks for your help,

Madie

leela

Daosin and Histame are different names for the same thing. (Histame in the US.) I have looked into the histamine in foods issue, and much like acid/alkaline, or what have you, have found pretty wildly varying info. Hard to sort out. This might be yet another area where it needs to be sorted via individual experience and experimentation.

zoe.a.m.

Hi Zoe,

It is sometimes suggested that Histame be taken in conjunction with a low histamine diet. As Histame is designed to break down histamine in the body, it makes sense not to add to your histamine levels by ingesting histamine promoting foods.

I'm only new at this myself, so I'm reluctant to offer advice, but I wouldn't let the whole diet thing stop you from starting. Take a look at post #49 by Xlynx, and it might make things a bit clearer. Xlynx is the expert on this issue here.
Sandra
Thanks Sandra, I guess I'm not the only one with jitters about starting this stuff and trying to follow the directions, such as
Can someone please tell me what does ' non-immune system-based food intolerances ' mean ? It is on the cover of Histame and I can't figure it out.
That is exactly the phrase I read that made me stop and wonder. I assume they just mean not to eat something you might have an anaphylactic reaction to so as not to have people with severe and life-threatening allergies trying to take a few of these and hoping for the best. But, it is confusing for this condition given we all know there is immune system involvement but don't really know how that relates to sensitivities/intolerances (chicken or the egg...).

I'm very interested in this thread because benedryl works amazingly well getting me to sleep and keeping me asleep for 7 hours at a stretch. If I try Histame or Daosin, and my sleep reverts to awful, can I add the benedryl back into the mix?
I take Benadryl for sleep and have for quite a while, is this not suggested while taking Histame? If so, that's a deal-breaker...

richvank

Hi, undcvr.

I'm just guessing, but maybe what they meant to say was food intolerances that don't cause secretion of histamine, that is, the ones that are not Type 1 sensitivities, which involve IgG antibodies and histamine secretion. In CFS, because of leaky gut, delayed sensitivities that involve IgG can develop. These of course also involve the immune system, but they don't involve histamine and would not be helped by taking this product. I suspect that they just made an error, but again, I'm guessing.

Rich

undcvr

Hey Rich thanks for replying,

I'm was guessing that they put it there to cover their asses in case someone with an allergy died died from taking their product and the food that they are allergic to. Haha, becos its in the US I am not quite sure I am not wrong either.

How many types of sensitivities are there ? They all involve one or the other ? Ie IgGs or histamines ?

What is the difference between taking something like histame and then the drugs called Nalcrom { in Canada } and Gastrocrom { USA } ?

http://www.drugs.com/mmx/nalcrom.html

My doctor suggested I try taking homeopathic histamine .> IT has helped with my first few trials with sweating/ flushing / fatigue with food reactions. This was with only a small amount and I have not trialed it with larger amounts of the intolerant food.

nanci

SaraM

I am sensitive to Gluten and night shades, and I tried Histame for a few days . It did not help me at all and I get a headache when I take two pills.Hope it works for others. Maybe I need to take it for a longer period.

maddietod

I am sensitive to Gluten and night shades, and I tried Histame for a few days . It did not help me at all and I get a headache when I take two pills.Hope it works for others. Maybe I need to take it for a longer period.

I'm also sensitive to gluten and nightshades, and I don't think the problem is histamine reactivity. Did you take the Histame to be able to eat these foods? Or were there other changes you hoped for and didn't get?

Madie

undcvr

I am sensitive to gluten and nightshade too, I suspect alot of pple with CFS are.

SaraM

Madie, I took it to see if I can tolerate gluten which gives me muscle pain . Also I wanted to see if it can reduce my brain fog without eating gluten.

willow

I decided to take about a 1/3 of a cap which i did several times. I had slight relief from some of my symptoms but like Sara, headaches too. Those were worse than the inflammation relief. I did a small amount of research and if I'm remembering right possible explanations included that products of histame conversion by DAO include ammonia and aldehyde and that histame deficiency can result in headaches.

My food sensitivity profile doesn't particularly suggest histame excess but you know how it is, I thought worth a shot.

xrayspex

This is very interesting thread, can relate to a lot. I took the alcat test a few years ago and it made me aware that garlic and eggs made me feel worse. I already knew about gluten being a negative for me, and dairy too altho I love yogurt and went back on dairy after 6 month abstinence back then.

I use benadryl for sleep half of the time and a little claritin as came to conclusion that lowering histamine good for me; historically I wasn't an obviously allergic person, never had problem with animals or hay fever as a kid so I was surprised that a little bit of antihistamine can help some cfs symptoms. Thats said I usually buy the kids syrup of these things and take like a 1/4 of teaspoon and work up from there, when I first started benadryl 5 years ago I could only take a dot of the syrup, like 1/100 of a dose as it knocked me out, the MCS, I am sure a doc would never believe that but whatever. I developed some tolerance slowly over the years but still if I take a full dose I get terrible diplopia the next day and grumpy. I took 1/2 tsp of kid's claritin syrup last nite,I usually only take a dab of that stuff but was experimenting to see if helped sleep like benadryl, and today I have blurry vision pretty bad...very bizarre. Its also partly due to taking a shower and washing hair, sometimes I get blurry vision next day so don't wash hair a lot.....weird development last 5 years. Could be toxins in the water or physically messing with head that triggers it, not sure.

In early 90s when first started dealing with neruo probs tricyclics were rec'd for pain and I could only take minute amount few times a week like of doxepin and I noticed it made me less MCS but it made my heart race and worsened my sleep so had to go off after a year. The MCS really messes up trying meds/supplements. I am curious to try this histame but wonder about the reports of headaches, N-AC gave me killer headaches for example. And Zantac group of blockers messes up my breatheing, pulmonary stuff.

SaraM

Interesting point about washing hair. I also feel terribly tired if I wash my hair when I take a shower. I had a healthy friend who could not even wash her face in the morning because it made her sleepy. Maybe we need a shower a filter?

Does anyone know what test measures the diamon oxidase level? I may fit the bill for histamine intolerance which seems to be getting more intense on the SMP Protocol.

sleepy237

I know I have histamine intolerance without tests due to reaction s to histamine containing foods especially turning scarlet red & headachey after a few sips of red wine. It's really interesting that you found some recovery. It also appears to be related to POTS and explains a lot of vascular permeability. This link is really interesting reading. http://www.histrelief.com/2/WELCOME.html

Feedback on Histame

My original motivation for taking Histame was based on the knowledge that diamine oxidase is dramatically increased during pregnancy. Although my one and only pregnancy was prior to the onset of ME, I had experienced a slight vague unwellness for many years prior.

Many times throughout my pregnancy I remarked that it was the best Id ever felt in my life. Although I was very aware that this feeling may have been due to many complex hormonal changes, I thought that it was worth testing out the diamine oxidase theory.

Well my reaction to Histame was so inexplicably bizarre, that I considered not posting about it, because I dont even believe it myself.

Things were going fine for about a week, but then I experienced quite severe hay fever symptoms, followed a few days later by my usual inflammatory response of abdominal bloating and other tissue swelling. I continued taking Histame, because a histamine lowering supplement could not possibly be causing what appeared to me to be a histamine reaction.

About 2 weeks in, I stopped Histame for 4 days, due to a prep for a urine test. Over this time the hayfever symptoms disappeared. I still believed at this point that my symptoms had to be caused by something else, but guess what happened when I reintroduced the Histame? You guessed it hay fever and inflammation again.

Ive since stopped the Histame altogether. Does Rich or anyone else have any rational explanation for such a paradoxical reaction?

Best wishes,

Sandra

Sanrda
I believe it. I have had many paradoxical reactions to supplements and medications. We are so complex.
I will be interested to hear from the experts.

I did try Histame last night and I believe I had a slight reduction of pain, not sure.

Lucy

Histame works for foods that have naturally occuring histamine in them so I would not expect it to work with gluten. It says on the box that it does not work with immune based food allergies such as Igg or Ige. Who knows though, we have such complex responses to things.
I had a bit of a beer last night and could enjoy it with the Histame.