• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
WPI is now in second place.

Hi cfidsurfer - not an issue for this round, fortunately (WPI needs only be in the top 20 to go through to Round 2) but it's useful to know we'll have stiff competition in Round 2 when 1st place is all that matters.

Everyone on Phoenix Rising should be getting themselves a Facebook account and voting daily if they haven't already - we need mass support to win but with that support it's very doable! Don't leave it to other people, folks! :D

Dolphin

Hi cfidsurfer - not an issue for this round, fortunately (WPI needs only be in the top 20 to go through to Round 2) but it's useful to know we'll have stiff competition in Round 2 when 1st place is all that matters.
Sorry to nit pick but even if the WPI came second in its region in Round 2, it could still win $100,000 if the winner was from its region:
How much funding is involved with the Vivint Gives Back Project?
The charity that receives the most votes will receive $250,000, while the remaining top charity in each of the five regions will receive $100,000 each.
I think it's worth re-iterating this now and again in case anybody things about giving up because Be Perfect Foundation is ahead.

Also, as has been said, some WPI are endorsing other charities at the moment but will come back to the WPI in Round 2.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Sorry to nit pick but even if the WPI came second in its region in Round 2, it could still win $100,000 if the winner was from its region:

I think it's worth re-iterating this now and again in case anybody things about giving up because Be Perfect Foundation is ahead.

Also, as has been said, some WPI are endorsing other charities at the moment but will come back to the WPI in Round 2.

Thanks, Dolphin - I'm really having trouble getting that into my skull!

Dolphin

The corollary of this is that with a few days to go in Round 2, if Be Perfect Foundation is a long way ahead of the WPI, it could make sense to actually vote for it to try to ensure it gets first place overall, so that the WPI gets money for second place!!

Anyway, I'm not giving up on the WPI yet.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The corollary of this is that with a few days to go in Round 2, if Be Perfect Foundation is a long way ahead of the WPI, it could make sense to actually vote for it to try to ensure it gets first place, so that the WPI gets money for second place!!

Weird! Weird! But I see what you mean! Let's hope it doesn't come to that...

leela

Oh god I've been so brain fogged I thought I could only *start* voting every day on June 11th! All my missed votes! I feel so stupid!

Dolphin

The Nightingale Research Foundation went up 8 in the last day (incl. 3 from my family).
That puts them on 17th position with 39 votes.

21st is 22.
However, Terrace 747 Air Cadet got 18 votes to put it at 20. 2 more days getting 10 more votes than the Nightingale Research Foundation (18 vs 8) and it would pass it out. And I'd reckon, if it went to a total of 2 votes to 18 in one day, it's just put a message out and it might get more than 18 tomorrow.

Muscular Dystrophy Canada is in 21st with 22 votes. It got 14 votes yesterday starting from a base of just 8 votes. Again, it could get more than 14 votes tomorrow and if The Nightingale Research Foundation continued to get just 8 a day, it would be passed out eventually.

If those two passed the Nightingale Research Foundation, it would be down in 19th position. It wouldn't take much of a surge from some others for it to be passed out.
The Nightingale Research Foundation +9 to 48
Terrace 747 Air Cadet +26 to 46 - will pass out The Nightingale Research Foundation in tomorrow at this rate
Muscular Dystrophy Canada +17 to 39 - will pass out The Nightingale Research Foundation in tomorrow in 2 days at this rate

That will put The Nightingale Research Foundation in 19th and very vulnerable.

A lot of the groups below it have got 8 to 10 votes having been static so they've obviously woken up.

Saint John Regional Hospital Foundation went from 1 to 20 in one day. Who knows how many it will get tomorrow (possibly more than 19 if it just sent out a message) so it could move up quickly.

Basically, vote-for-vote, I would think a vote is most valuable for The Nightingale Research Foundation in terms of helping to get a group for the illness into the top 20 I think.

Dolphin

National ME/FM Action Network went up 23. That's a good sign that they've got some voters on board - they were going up in single figures for a lot of the days before that.

My position is that I plan to vote for the WPI for a good while and perhaps later, I may give some votes to the National ME/FM Action Network if I think it's in with a chance. But I don't want to waste votes on a no-hope group. I guess I might not be the only person who will adopt this strategy. The National ME/FM Action Network has not impressed me with the quantity of daily votes it has been getting. So I think the strategy should be to bring in a few dozen new voters for the National ME/FM Action Network. The numbers looked for are not huge.

National votes are low as it is safe in the Canadian group for round 1. We are voting for others to try to get them into the top 20. You'll see a different voting pattern in round2. We'll be going all out to get them to win the Canada region.

Dolphin

National votes are low as it is safe in the Canadian group for round 1. We are voting for others to try to get them into the top 20. You'll see a different voting pattern in round2. We'll be going all out to get them to win the Canada region.
Good to hear.

helen41

I nominated Nightingale, gave them some votes, and emailed them to let them know. They didn't respond. I don't know if they rely on donations or not. Exactly the same problem with Rocky Mountain.
I'm rooting for WPI and ME/FM Action Network at this point, not necessarily in that order. If we are smart, we get both for $100,000. I'm worried people will chose to chase the Grand Prize of $250,000 (risky), when they could chase 2 prizes ($200,000), which seems very attainable. I really hope we don't aim so high that we end up losing.

Dolphin

Bad news

Be Perfect Foundation (pacific) went up 631 in one day.

If one likes to think positive: they look like they could be favourites for Round 2. If they win overall, then 2nd in the pacific region would be good enough for the WPI to win $100,000.

The corollary of this is that with a few days to go in Round 2, if Be Perfect Foundation is a long way ahead of the WPI, it could make sense to actually vote for it to try to ensure it gets first place overall, so that the WPI gets money for second place!!

As far I as know from reading the rules there is no money for second place. WPI must win the region.

Dolphin

@National ME/FM Action Network Fans:
You could consider setting up an event like the one the WPI has: https://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=121179681298558
Then set it (I don't know the details) so it send out a reminder every day to vote.
It's also a fairly easy way to ask your Facebook friends to join it - click "select guest to invite". You can also add in E-mail addresses (down the bottom) when inviting people.

Dolphin

As far I as know from reading the rules there is no money for second place. WPI must win the region.
I quoted this from the rules just above that:
How much funding is involved with the Vivint Gives Back Project?
The charity that receives the most votes will receive $250,000, while the remaining top charity in each of the five regions will receive $100,000 each.

Dolphin

Be Perfect Foundation (pacific) went up 631 in one day.

If one likes to think positive: they look like they could be favourites for Round 2. If they win overall, then 2nd in the pacific region would be good enough for the WPI to win $100,000.
Forgot to look: the WPI got 500 in 24 hours so that is also very good. Add in maybe 100-150 voters temporarily voting for other groups and it's going to be close with Be Perfect Foundation.

By comparison - other groups that have more votes in total (because they started earlier presumably):
Utah Prader-Willi Syndrome Association +320
Foundation for Angelman Syndrome Therapeutics (FAST) +418
Tapestries of Life Ministries: +308
Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America: +408
CHERUBS: +439