• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another Contest Vivant - to WIN Reseach Money!!

Dolphin

It would be good if somebody somewhere kept track of the daily increases for every group (that's 100 numbers a day or 20 if divided by region); that would quickly show groups that were building up support.

It would also be interesting to compare groups to say previous Chase Community Giving scores so see how much of a threat they were. Unfortunately, I don't see myself doing either.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I think these groups that won last year have a leg up on us strategy wise. Prader-Willi looks as if it could dominate. I wonder if they all voted for one PW region until it was clearly in the lead and then started on a second region?

I know this is risky, but I'd like to see us all vote for WPI until it's way in the lead and then shift to the second most likely to win it's region. However, in the very first 24 hours of the contest, we will know what we are up against. At some point we may have to shift from the pacific region to another if it looks like we can't overcome the competition.

I've ask Cort if there might be a way to have a place on the home page that just outlines our current strategy, so that it can be updated throughout the contest, and people don't have to read through long threads. I sure hope that feelings don't get hurt and we can all just use our votes to maximize our chances of winning money for CFS rather than for our personal favorites.

Maybe in order to minimize hurt feelings, we can take a poll with a couple strategies and we can vote on it and then all agree to stick with the winner?

I put an article up on the First page (finally)....and I just outlined a simple strategy...focus everything on the WPI! because it looks like it would be difficult for another charity to win their region......I'm very happy to change it - as I'm coming a bit late to the game. Let me know - I will make any adjustments needed.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/cont...Round-II-1.25-million-Vivint-Facebook-Contest

One thing the Front Page allows you to do is to share the article via Facebook, twitter etc. getting the word out more.

Cort, with all due respect, I disagree with your statement that other charities can't win their region. I think and hope the National ME/FM Action Network would win the Canada region. Also IACFSME could win central if people supported it. You cannot tell by current stats as both of these charities are very late in joining the contest. You cannot tell by Round 1 stats what will happen in round 2 if we are organized to promote all of them (WPI, MEFMACTION and IACFSME). if all 3 win their region then it's $300,000 overall for our illnesses. If you focus on one, you'll get $100,000 for a regional win but unlikely to get an overall win of $250,000. Financially it's best to promote a charity in each region.

helen41

Cort, with all due respect, I disagree with your statement that other charities can't win their region. I think and hope the National ME/FM Action Network would win the Canada region. Also IACFSME could win central if people supported it. You cannot tell by current stats as both of these charities are very late in joining the contest. You cannot tell by Round 1 stats what will happen in round 2 if we are organized to promote all of them (WPI, MEFMACTION and IACFSME). if all 3 win their region then it's $300,000 overall for our illnesses. If you focus on one, you'll get $100,000 for a regional win but unlikely to get an overall win of $250,000. Financially it's best to promote a charity in each region.
I agree that it's possible we can win more than one region, but I think splitting the vote going in might mean we all lose. It's a long contest, and presumably we can work on a better game plan as time goes on, but I believe we would be smart to throw everything at WPI in the Pacific, then if it becomes obvious we will win, decide to go for the Grand prize, or throw everything elsewhere, probably ME/FM action in Canada, the other weak area. If we split the vote now, we run the risk of losing both.
In the endorsement phase, groups only have to be in the top 20. There could be a group we haven't even looked at, sitting in the middle of the pack, who will skyrocket when the votes count. We just don't know

Dolphin

It was suggested somewhere that it might be good if the WPI didn't do too well in Round 1 because the other groups might try to make a big effort from the start to try to beat them while if one can make them complacent, it could be good.

Anyway, I was just looking at "pacific" - Prader-Willi California Foundation is in 4th position in 1203 votes. It might make winning overall easier if the Prader-Willi vote was split; this might be more likely to happen if the Prader-Willi California Foundation thinks it has a chance of winning its region. So it might be better to not have the WPI win or at least win by so much the Prader-Willi group decided to give up on pacific.

helen41

we are having trouble catching up to get into the top 20 with CAA. seems like they just keep raising the ceiling. I am going to try now for IACFS, where 20th place only has 212 votes and we have 74

Dolphin

we are having trouble catching up to get into the top 20 with CAA. seems like they just keep raising the ceiling. I am going to try now for IACFS, where 20th place only has 212 votes and we have 74
Yes, I've been doing voting for the IACFS/ME. I'm hoping/expecting with the call the CAA are putting out, they should get quite a lot of votes now.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think we're going to need a really big push on this, especially when we get to Phase 2 when it will get serious.

Research shows that people do what they see other people doing - if it looks like the expected norm, people fall into line. So I think the more of us who have a Vivint-related signature on our messages, the better - we can establish the norm.

I normally have a signature explaining how people can support ME charities when they're buying on Amazon but when there's something like the Chase or Vivint contest, I copy and paste my normal signature into a Word document (called "Phoenix Rising signature" so I can find it easily) so that I'll be able to easily reinstate it later, and I make a big, colourful sig with eye-catching icons to boost the contest.

I'd really like to encourage others to do this - you just go to Settings (next to the Log In/Out tab), then Edit Signature. You can preview it before you save it (very handy!). There are 500 characters max and three icons max.

The signature immediately updates across every message you've ever written so you get good coverage.

It's loads of fun to create a big splashy one! With balloons! :balloons:

Dolphin

I find it a bit cheeky of you to suggest that people would need to copy your signature, Sasha. ;)

Vote for IACFSME

I encourage a push towards getting IACFSME into the top 20 of the central region in the remaining days. Both WPI and National ME/FM Network are positioned to move to round 2.
IACFSME needs the money to fund the International research conference beting held in Ottawa Canada Sept 22-25. It's very important that there be a forum for researchers to share their results and to learn from each other.
The conference is being hosted by the National ME/FM Network so any votes for them in round 2 will help fund the conference. They might just win the region if they get enough support. WPI is important but so is this conference.

If you can think of any other way to raise funds for the conference, please do so.

caledonia

I voted for IACFSME today.

Once we get into round 2, I think we should concentrate on WPI alone, unless it looks obviously like they're going to lose, then switch to Canada. I think this is going to be more about consistency than anything - getting everyone to remember to vote every day for WPI.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I find it a bit cheeky of you to suggest that people would need to copy your signature, Sasha. ;)

:D:D :D Actually, I am wondering how some people end up with really massive signatures that go on for yards - I keep hitting the 500 character limit with mine with all those links and instructions. I think someone must know something I don't!

Vote for IACFSME

I voted for IACFSME today. It's now at position 29. It's possible for it to make it to the top 20 if it gets more support.

Boule de feu

I'm very confused and I don't know who to vote for.
I'm too exhausted to read the thread to figure it out.
So, I will stick with the Canada one. I think they are doing a wonderful thing this year in Ottawa (September) and I would like them to get a little something.

I hope it's ok with everyone and I am not wasting my votes.

IACFSME is moving up very nicely. They are at positon 25 now and easily in reach of making the top 20 in round 1 if there is a push to vote for them. Boule de feu please vote for IACFSME for the remainder of round 1. In round 2 go back to voting for Canada's National ME/FM Action Network. Round 2 is when the big money comes into play.
Thanks

Dolphin

The IACFS/ME is up to 23rd now, on 213. That's 100 votes in around 25 hours (i.e. just over a day). They're just 40 off 20th position and given even 12th position is just 393, I think they'll make. So I'm switching my vote (and telling to family members to do likewise) to the CAA who I think are in a much tougher fight. They only went up 31 in 25 hours or so and are now 184 votes off 20th. I will reassess as time goes along.

Boule de feu

IACFSME is moving up very nicely. They are at positon 25 now and easily in reach of making the top 20 in round 1 if there is a push to vote for them. Boule de feu please vote for IACFSME for the remainder of round 1. In round 2 go back to voting for Canada's National ME/FM Action Network. Round 2 is when the big money comes into play.
Thanks

I did and i will. :)