• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B12 Injections

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've been doing these for some years now, 1ml a day - using a multiuse vial of either hydroxy or methyl /with insulin needles, either into the belly or top of thigh.
Just been prescribed B12 by KdM and chemist said it has to be given IM not SC as its a water soluble vitamin, he says it will just stay in the fat - so does anyone know if that is correct, have I been putting myself through all this pain for nothing?
My partner says there isn't a lot of fat in the thigh so its probably going into the muscle and I do inject there 90% of the time but I don't agree, I think I'm hitting fat:(:(.

BTW multiuse vials aren't available in the UK anymore via the chemist, all single use now , what a pain.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Just been prescribed B12 by KdM and chemist said it has to be given IM not SC as its a water soluble vitamin, he says it will just stay in the fat - so does anyone know if that is correct, have I been putting myself through all this pain for nothing?

I have had several doctors tell me to give hydrox B12 injections subcut (including KDM). I definitely felt the benefit giving it this way. One doctor said that by giving it subcut, it would be absorbed in a "time release" manner, and since the half life of hydrox B12 is very short, this was a good strategy.

I am about to start again giving it subcut.

Best wishes,
Sushi

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Sushi once again - you are a star:) thanks, all that pain wasn't in vain.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
when it comes to different injection sites all it does is change the speed of absorption. IV is very rapid and quick with a high serum peak and shorter duration of action, IMI is still reasonably quick but a longer duration of absorption and subcut is the slowest of the injections with a slower and lower serum peak but a longer duration of absorption. In reguards to b12 i dont think it really matters as b12 is stored in the body, liver i think and excess is excreted during a number one.

cheers!!!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Thanks heaps, the chemist was adamant that I wouldn't absorb a water soluble vitamin through fat tissue, all that university training and he could have just come on here and you lot would have taught him something:D:D