• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is the ViroChip going to help us?

Jemal

I was searching Pubmed en found another article about the Virochip:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21559002

There have already been some posts about the Virochip on this forum. It has been used to detect XMRV. The current Virochip uses information from over 1500 viruses that have been submitted to GenBank.

Here is an explanation of how it works:
http://www.jove.com/details.php?id=2536

And an interview with the inventor:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/health/research/07conv.html

So is this thing going to help us?

pamb

Hi Jemal,

Too technical for me to have a half informed opinion, but it seems this kind of technology will be a huge help in sorting out sub-groups in ME/CFS so treatment can be properly tailored. I think one of Ian Lipkins studies is looking for all sorts of viruses. Can anyone know if he is using this technology?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
They used this chip in the inital study and the results used to be posted on the PR website, but i can't find it anymore. I don't know why stuff gets posted for reference then when you want to discuss or reference it's gone. Advice - As soon as something shows up, make a copy of it. I might have it somewhere and i think it was in a powerpoint presentation.

Ecoclimber

Because of confidentiality imposition, some research is moving in that direction into looking at any and all pathogens is about all I can say at the moment in regards to the subject of this thread. I know it is not much help other than some comfort that researchers are looking at all possibilities.

kurt

I thought WPI already ran the virochip, that was reported in May of 2009 (?). They did not get any XMRV positives by the virochip in that study, but they did get some positives for HTLV.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
My understanding was that the virochip did not pick XMRV up - they ran it well before the XMRV finding came out. Dr. Peterson seemed surprised by this...but then some mention was made that XMRV was not in the chip...so it seems unclear what was what.

I would think the virochip samples would be a good basis for a study; that chip did seem to be the basis for reports of all these pathogens in CFS......

Ecoclimber

I would think the virochip samples would be a good basis for a study; that chip did seem to be the basis for reports of all these pathogens in CFS......

Some scientists are moving in this direction and are researching with the possibility of the virochip and xmrv and other pathogens with sophisticated technology equipment.

Jemal

Some scientists are moving in this direction and are researching with the possibility of the virochip and xmrv and other pathogens with sophisticated technology equipment.

That's good to hear!

I just wished the ViroChip was like a test you could take at you local hospital. Give some blood and in a few days know what kind of viruses were found.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
That's good to hear!

I just wished the ViroChip was like a test you could take at you local hospital. Give some blood and in a few days know what kind of viruses were found.

I'll bet ultimately it will be. Dr. Peterson said there are now tests you can take at the hospital that can quickly determine what type of flu you have, I believe using a similar type of micro-array technology.