• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

President Obama made a promise to ME/CFS patients

Lynn

Cartoon - Help President Obama remember his promise to ME/CFS patients

President Obabma made a promise to us.
Mr. Obama stated: Now, I will confess to you that, although Ive heard of chronic fatigue syndrome, I dont have expertise in it. But based on the story that you (Courtney Miller) told me, what I promise I will do when I get back is I will have the National Institute of Health explain to me what theyre currently doing and start seeing if they can do more on this particular ailment. Okay?
To make sure he knows how important this is, lets send this cartoon, hand-drawn just for this occasion by Priscilla Gilman (a patient who is severely afflicted by ME/CFS). We are asking patients, their families, friends and loved ones to fax President Obama the cartoon and a brief message. This is easy and simple.

Heres how:

1. Download the cartoon to your computer: Click on this link: http://mcwpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Obama-cartoon.pdf . Then on the top left of the screen, click on File and then click on Save Page As or Save a Copy" and save it to your computer desktop.

2.Optional: Download the personal message. If you would like to send a personal message in addition to the cartoon please click here: http://mcwpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Obama-personal-note.txt . Customize the text to what you would like to say.Then on the top left of the screen, click on File and then click on Save As and save it to your computer desktop.

3. Fax both pages to President Obama. His fax number is
202-456-2461.

You can fax from your computer for free. Go to http://www.faxorama.com.

a) Fill in the Sender and Receiver Information.
The sender is you.
The receiver is President Barak Obama.
The receiver fax number is 202-456-2461.
We suggest you put in the Comment" box a short message like: Sick since _______. Please fund ME/CFS research.
Only the windows with an asterisk must be filled out.

b) Click on the Browse button under Fax Information. Find and attach the file(s) that you saved on your computer desktop.

c) Copy the confirmation code and click on "Send free fax now".

d) You will receive a confirmation email. Click on the link in the confirmation email in order to send the fax. You will receive another email when your fax is sent.

Thank you for participating in this campaign.

After you send Obama the fax, check out Priscilla's other work here: http://www.heaveninmyfoot.com/ .

Attachments

• Obama cartoon.jpg
    Obama cartoon.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 43

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
Done - with a personal note. Thank you for the clear deliniation of steps to send this.

Nielk

If everyone on this forum would take two minutes (that's about how long it takes) and send this cartoon to the President it would really be great.

*GG*

President Obabma made a promise to us.
Mr. Obama stated: Now, I will confess to you that, although Ive heard of chronic fatigue syndrome, I dont have expertise in it. But based on the story that you (Courtney Miller) told me, what I promise I will do when I get back is I will have the National Institute of Health explain to me what theyre currently doing and start seeing if they can do more on this particular ailment. Okay?
To make sure he knows how important this is, lets send this cartoon, hand-drawn just for this occasion by Priscilla Gilman (a patient who is severely afflicted by ME/CFS). We are asking patients, their families, friends and loved ones to fax President Obama the cartoon and a brief message. This is easy and simple.

Heres how:

1. Download the cartoon to your computer: Click on this link: http://mcwpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Obama-cartoon.pdf . Then on the top left of the screen, click on File and then click on Save Page As or Save a Copy" and save it to your computer desktop.

2.Optional: Download the personal message. If you would like to send a personal message in addition to the cartoon please click here: http://mcwpa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Obama-personal-note.txt . Customize the text to what you would like to say.Then on the top left of the screen, click on File and then click on Save As and save it to your computer desktop.

3. Fax both pages to President Obama. His fax number is
202-456-2461.

You can fax from your computer for free. Go to http://www.faxorama.com.

a) Fill in the Sender and Receiver Information.
The sender is you.
The receiver is President Barak Obama.
The receiver fax number is 202-456-2461.
We suggest you put in the Comment" box a short message like: Sick since _______. Please fund ME/CFS research.
Only the windows with an asterisk must be filled out.

b) Click on the Browse button under Fax Information. Find and attach the file(s) that you saved on your computer desktop.

c) Copy the confirmation code and click on "Send free fax now".

d) You will receive a confirmation email. Click on the link in the confirmation email in order to send the fax. You will receive another email when your fax is sent.

Thank you for participating in this campaign.

After you send Obama the fax, check out Priscilla's other work here: http://www.heaveninmyfoot.com/ .

Do you mind if I post this on other forums?

GG

Nielk

There are a lot of talented members here and all their hard work is really appreciated.
We are all beneficiaries of this work and all we have to do is spend a few minutes to fax it to the President. It couldn't have been made easier for us.

Lynn

I am not the best at international dialing. If I understand it you need a 3 digit IDD (International Direct Dialing Number) for the country you are calling from. Then add a 1 for the U.S. country code. Then add the White House Fax number 202-456-2461.

Here are directions from the internet:

The International dialing sequence is essentially the same when dialing from anywhere, to anywhere.
1.gif
First, dial the IDD (International Direct Dialing Number). For example, the IDD to call from the United States is 011. Other countries have different numbers, or may have more than one IDD, depending on the carrier or type of service. Make sure you use the correct IDD.

2.gif
Next, dial the country code of the country you are trying to call. Every country has a country code, which you dial after theh IDD. In some cases, the country code is shared among countries. For example, the United States, Canada, and much of the Caribbean and Guam use country code 1.

3.gif
Third, dial the city/area code (if any) for the number you are dialing. Smaller countries may not use city codes or area codes, while larger countries have hundreds of them. Because of the tremendous growth of global telecommunications, city codes and area codes change or are added frequently.

I hope this helps.

Lynn

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
The response back-------------

May 23, 2011

Dear Friend:

Thank you for writing. I have heard from many Americans whose lives have been affected by a wide range of health conditions and diseases. Whether they are common, preventable ailments or rare, life-threatening illnesses, we must do more to find cures and improve treatments for patients.

I have always been a strong supporter of medical research that saves lives, relieves suffering, and improves the quality of life for those afflicted. Medical miracles do not happen by accident. They often result from painstaking and costly research, as well as years of trial and error. From the sequencing of the human genome to life-saving vaccines and pioneering cancer treatment, Federally-funded research has led to scientific progress and improved health care for countless Americans.

My Administration has already begun the work of advancing medical research. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act made $8.2 billion available to the National Institutes of Health for scientific research grants. This money will help fund an array of research projects in labs and hospitals across the country. I also lifted the ban on Federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, which has the unique potential to help us better understand -- and possibly cure -- some of the most devastating diseases and conditions. To explore the steps my Administration is taking, please visit: www.nih.gov or www.cancer.gov.

This work is essential not only for our health and well-being, but also for the progress of all humanity. Together, we can ensure America continues to lead the world in medical research and scientific discovery. Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

Nielk

The response back-------------

May 23, 2011

Dear Friend:

Thank you for writing. I have heard from many Americans whose lives have been affected by a wide range of health conditions and diseases. Whether they are common, preventable ailments or rare, life-threatening illnesses, we must do more to find cures and improve treatments for patients.

I have always been a strong supporter of medical research that saves lives, relieves suffering, and improves the quality of life for those afflicted. Medical miracles do not happen by accident. They often result from painstaking and costly research, as well as years of trial and error. From the sequencing of the human genome to life-saving vaccines and pioneering cancer treatment, Federally-funded research has led to scientific progress and improved health care for countless Americans.

My Administration has already begun the work of advancing medical research. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act made $8.2 billion available to the National Institutes of Health for scientific research grants. This money will help fund an array of research projects in labs and hospitals across the country. I also lifted the ban on Federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, which has the unique potential to help us better understand -- and possibly cure -- some of the most devastating diseases and conditions. To explore the steps my Administration is taking, please visit: www.nih.gov or www.cancer.gov.

This work is essential not only for our health and well-being, but also for the progress of all humanity. Together, we can ensure America continues to lead the world in medical research and scientific discovery. Thank you, again, for writing.

Sincerely,

Barack Obama

This letter is a form letter probably sent out to millions of people inquiring about any kind of medial problem.
The president made an official promise on national television.

Did he really check with the NIH what they are doing about CFS?
Obviously not!
His words are empty promises that are totally meaningless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SilverbladeTE

Neilk
much as I lambast politicians, good number of 'em are decent folks, but stuck in a "tar pit" of absolute crap.
So much vested interests, so many advisors with their agendas, lobbyists and multi-billion dollar corporations pulling strings...Imagien the worst and biggets family get together you've ever had, like oh, a funeral from Hell: that's politics in practice! ;)
as I often say now thanks ot a great game trailer "You want to make enemies? Try to change something!" So damn true :/

We need politicians who can "cut the Gordian Knot" but, such folk often decapitate everyone around them too as they never gave a damn about others in the first place, or use explosives rather than a scalpel...meh :(
Ironic, folk want "strong leaders" but most of those are psychopathic or such because they don't listen to others and thus are "strong": unswayed by opinion or their own actions and anyone's suffering.

Nielk

Neilk
much as I lambast politicians, good number of 'em are decent folks, but stuck in a "tar pit" of absolute crap.
So much vested interests, so many advisors with their agendas, lobbyists and multi-billion dollar corporations pulling strings...Imagien the worst and biggets family get together you've ever had, like oh, a funeral from Hell: that's politics in practice! ;)
as I often say now thanks ot a great game trailer "You want to make enemies? Try to change something!" So damn true :/

We need politicians who can "cut the Gordian Knot" but, such folk often decapitate everyone around them too as they never gave a damn about others in the first place, or use explosives rather than a scalpel...meh :(
Ironic, folk want "strong leaders" but most of those are psychopathic or such because they don't listen to others and thus are "strong": unswayed by opinion or their own actions and anyone's suffering.

I guess I was really naive to even expect anything in the first place.
What you are saying is that either the top politician is corrupt or if he is not, it's the people around him that are corrupt, so it's a lose, lose situation.

You know who my local representative was in congress? Anthony Wiener! and to think that I sent him a long letter explaining the plight of people like me with CFS!

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
free fax

when I send a fax through the free fax at www.faxorama.com it seems to me I just entered the 10 didgit number. Its easy to do. I wrote the letter, then copied it to desktop, then when in faxorama its easy to find the file when you click browse and add it to fax. I think it is 3 a day that you can send for free. I have sent them free to both Canada and the USA. Trust me if I can do it you can too.

glen

SilverbladeTE

Neilk,
yup :/
as I've said on other forums regarding how organizations, of any form, work, it's like:

Median morals/intelligence of the organization = (IQ or morals of the guy in charge) / (total number of individuals in organization + 1)
:p

ie, bigger it is, worse it gets, because the indivudal gets drowned out/bogged down by the overwhelming numbnuts
And so only if someone can browbeat/bully the rest into shuting up, can much get done coherently, but such folk are usually monsters.

C'est la vie! Sigh