• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaccines and autism report to be released on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

richvank

Hi,all.

This sounds as though it might be interesting (taken from Age of Autism webpage):

Watch the press conference live on UStream on Tuesday, May 10th at EDT.Channel:
www.ustream.tv/channel/ebcala.

Investigators and Families of Vaccine-Injured Children to Unveil Report Detailing Clear Vaccine-Autism Link Based on Governments Own Data

Report Demands Immediate Congressional Action

Directors of the Elizabeth Birt Center for Autism Law and Advocacy (EBCALA), parents and vaccine-injured children will hold a press conference on the steps of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (717 Madison Place, NW in Washington, DC) on Tuesday, May 10 at 12:00 PM to unveil an investigation linking vaccine injury to autism. For over 20 years, the federal government has publicly denied a vaccine-autism link, while at the same time its Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) has been awarding damages for vaccine injury to children with brain damage, seizures and autism. This investigation, based on public, verifiable government data, breaks new ground in the controversial vaccine-autism debate.

The investigation found that a substantial number of children compensated for vaccine injury also have autism. The government has asserted that it does not track autism among the vaccine-injured. Based on this preliminary investigation, the evidence suggests that autism is at least three times more prevalent among vaccine-injured children than among children in the general population.

The federal government has called autism a national health emergency, conservatively affecting 1 in 110 children and costing the country billions of dollars each year. Because almost all children in the United States are required by law to receive between 30-45 vaccines in order to attend public school, it is crucial that the VICP decide cases with justice and transparency. EBCALA and the families of the vaccine-injured call on Congress to investigate the VICP, the only forum in which parents may bring claims of vaccine injury on behalf of their children.

WHERE: United States Court of Claims 717 Madison Place, NW Washington, DC
WHEN: Tuesday, May 10 12:00 PM noon

Best regards,

Rich

pamb

Most interesting indeed Rich.
Not to be too indelicate, but the first thought that came to mind is 'the excrement may be about to hit the oscillating device'. It seems the next couple of years are going to be most interesting indeed.

It just breaks my heart though, that while it is intellectually interesting to watch as things develop, each day and every day until this sorts out is a day of living hell for so many with ME/CFS. A community time machine would be a great asset indeed. I wonder if Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes) would be willing to share his transmogrofier (spelling?)

Jemal

Here in the Netherlands the autism rate is also rising sharply. The government tells us it is because of better diagnostic criteria...

richvank

Hi,all.

This sounds as though it might be interesting (taken from Age of Autism webpage):

Watch the press conference live on UStream on Tuesday, May 10th at EDT.Channel:
www.ustream.tv/channel/ebcala.

Investigators and Families of Vaccine-Injured Children to Unveil Report Detailing Clear Vaccine-Autism Link Based on Governments Own Data

Report Demands Immediate Congressional Action

Directors of the Elizabeth Birt Center for Autism Law and Advocacy (EBCALA), parents and vaccine-injured children will hold a press conference on the steps of the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (717 Madison Place, NW in Washington, DC) on Tuesday, May 10 at 12:00 PM to unveil an investigation linking vaccine injury to autism. For over 20 years, the federal government has publicly denied a vaccine-autism link, while at the same time its Vaccine Injury Compensation Program (VICP) has been awarding damages for vaccine injury to children with brain damage, seizures and autism. This investigation, based on public, verifiable government data, breaks new ground in the controversial vaccine-autism debate.

The investigation found that a substantial number of children compensated for vaccine injury also have autism. The government has asserted that it does not track autism among the vaccine-injured. Based on this preliminary investigation, the evidence suggests that autism is at least three times more prevalent among vaccine-injured children than among children in the general population.

The federal government has called autism a national health emergency, conservatively affecting 1 in 110 children and costing the country billions of dollars each year. Because almost all children in the United States are required by law to receive between 30-45 vaccines in order to attend public school, it is crucial that the VICP decide cases with justice and transparency. EBCALA and the families of the vaccine-injured call on Congress to investigate the VICP, the only forum in which parents may bring claims of vaccine injury on behalf of their children.

WHERE: United States Court of Claims 717 Madison Place, NW Washington, DC
WHEN: Tuesday, May 10 12:00 PM noon

Best regards,

Rich

Hi, all.

I'm just bumping this up, to remind anyone who is interested in catching the broadcast, which is supposed to happen about 2 hours from now.

Best regards,

Rich

richvank

Comments on the vaccines--autism press conference today

Anyone listen in? What happened?

Hi,Acer2000.

Yes, I watched it. It was set up as a news conference on the steps of a court building in Washington, D.C. I don't know how many people were there, but I think the number watching on the internet got to be about 1600 or so.

About five or six people spoke briefly. Some were leaders in the organization, including lawyers and a private investigator. Some were parents of autistic children who had received compensation from the vaccine injury compensation program. One had her autistic daughter with her. The girl was clearly quite dysfunctional.

Their basic message was that the Congress needs to investigate this program and look at the cases that have been compensated to see how many actually have autism. They had tracked down over 80 cases that had been compensated, and that actually had autism as part of their disorder. The government has not recognized vaccines as a cause for autism, but they have compensated many cases in which autism was part of the disorder. This group argued that the connection between vaccines and autism needs to be studied. They said that they are not anti-vaccines, but rather, anti-vaccine injury. They also did not have good things to say about the program, even though they had eventually been compensated by it. They published a written report today. If you want a copy, email me at richvank@aol.com, and I will send it to you, since someone has sent it to me.

Best regards,

Rich

liquid sky

I saw an interview on Fox News with one mother whose child was injured from a vaccine and is now autistic. She explained how the government compensate, they do it yearly and the money goes into an account that can only be used for care of the child. She said they figure the money "down to the last diaper".

These woman also said the parents were told not to talk about the settlement, by the government. She seemed to feel vulnerable by going public with the info. The settlements are based on dx. of encephalopathy, thus they still deny the link to autism.

Bob

Hi,Acer2000.

Yes, I watched it. It was set up as a news conference on the steps of a court building in Washington, D.C. I don't know how many people were there, but I think the number watching on the internet got to be about 1600 or so.

About five or six people spoke briefly. Some were leaders in the organization, including lawyers and a private investigator. Some were parents of autistic children who had received compensation from the vaccine injury compensation program. One had her autistic daughter with her. The girl was clearly quite dysfunctional.

Their basic message was that the Congress needs to investigate this program and look at the cases that have been compensated to see how many actually have autism. They had tracked down over 80 cases that had been compensated, and that actually had autism as part of their disorder. The government has not recognized vaccines as a cause for autism, but they have compensated many cases in which autism was part of the disorder. This group argued that the connection between vaccines and autism needs to be studied. They said that they are not anti-vaccines, but rather, anti-vaccine injury. They also did not have good things to say about the program, even though they had eventually been compensated by it. They published a written report today. If you want a copy, email me at richvank@aol.com, and I will send it to you, since someone has sent it to me.

Best regards,

Rich

Thanks Rich, for keeping us up to date with this.
I did tune in briefly to the video broadcast.
It's very interesting.
But it must be rather distressing for the families involved.

Something I'm not quite sure about is the relevance of the court...
Had the families been to the court? Or was it just for a backdrop for the video.
Also, who had undertaken the investigation? Was it the families themselves or has there been an official investigation?

Thanks for any info anyone can share about this.

Something I'm not quite sure about is the relevance of the court... Had the families been to the court? Or was it just for a backdrop for the video. Also, who had undertaken the investigation? Was it the families themselves or has there been an official investigation? Thanks for any info anyone can share about this.

The whole report is built on absurdly tenuous grounds. Vaccines are only rarely associated with harmful reactions, but it does happen, therefore most Governments in the developed world have compensation programmes. In the US the families of 2100 children have received compensation. The AoA report looked at just 83 of these and could only find 3 in which 'autistic' type symptoms were present but none with a diagnosis of Autism. For a sceptical view and refs for the details see Blog and comments

IVI

The whole report is built on absurdly tenuous grounds. Vaccines are only rarely associated with harmful reactions, but it does happen, therefore most Governments in the developed world have compensation programmes. In the US the families of 2100 children have received compensation. The AoA report looked at just 83 of these and could only find 3 in which 'autistic' type symptoms were present but none with a diagnosis of Autism. For a sceptical view and refs for the details see Blog and comments

IVI

IVI.

What are you doing on this forum? Are you working for the pharmaceutical industry? You represent vaccine makers?

The reason I ask is because I see common theme to your posts. You are always quick to take the opportunity to respond to these vaccine related threads. Your last response to me referenced ORAC who is funded by the Department of Defense and endorses Paul Offit who patented a vaccine.

I think most people here are above average intelligence and smart enough to know that people posting here may not necessarily have the same agenda.

It is also clear Big Pharma and the vaccine makers have a far/wide reach and seemingly unlimited budgets. I'm of the opinion it is not beyond the special interests to employ people to maintain presence on internet forums, blogs, and news stories.

Just wondering where you stand.

FYI: I'm disabled

SilverbladeTE

Pharma Corps spend $2 BILLION a year on lobbying the US government, which is 4 times what the oil companies do!
that is manifest corruption, perversion (they are supposed to be helping the public on both sides), conspiracy and a threat to the public interest.

I wouldn't trust the bastards if they told me snow was white! :p

I'm of the opinion it is not beyond the special interests to employ people to maintain presence on internet forums, blogs, and news stories.

Numerous businesses and special interest groups engage in this and the unrestrained use of pseudonyms on the Intenet makes validation of any one cyber identity pretty much impossible. We can all claim to be anything we want and are free to make judgements about any other Cyber Ident that we encounter, based on whatever prejudices we choose. For what it's worth my 'claim' is that I'm fervently anti, 'anti science' and I particularly dislike it being associated with M.E/CFS which is an illness in which I claim to have a special interest - however I've no intention of proving these 'claims' to anyone.

As to ORAC being funded by the US DoD - even if he was, which is certainly not what he/she claims, what would that matter ? There are very few bona fides available on the Internet, all one can do is follow interesting discussions and apply reason. Accepting unreason as 'truth' or even just 'probability' merely because it is sourced from a non corporate origin is not the application of reason. Scepticism implies treating all information with equal questioning but with a prejudice against that which is logically inconsistent or based solely upon belief - I claim to be a happily sceptical.

IVI

floydguy

IVI

Whatever. Vaccines remain suspicious and should be pursued. When are the "skeptics" going to get serious about coming up with alternative hypotheses other than the diagnostic criteria has improved or there has has been a miraculous change in genetics in one generation? With the "work" of these skeptics half the next generation will have autism and other neuro-immune diseases. It's a very serious issue and until somebody comes up with a valid alternative hypothesis I will remain skeptical of vaccines.

And I am sure of your comment about few bad associations with vaccines. I am not sure we really know that for fact. After receiving the measles shot I got a bad case of the measles. I bet there are many more cases out there then the "skeptics" care to acknowledge.

We've discussed this before but in many cases people who trumpet themselves as skeptics are really pseudo-skeptics. They usually have hidden agendas or hidden interests.

Just curious did the last generation of "skeptics" all die of lung cancer? The "skeptics" back then probably lapped up all the evidence that the tobacco companies produced proving their product had no connection to cancer.

Bob

Vaccines are only rarely associated with harmful reactions, but it does happen, therefore most Governments in the developed world have compensation programmes. In the US the families of 2100 children have received compensation. The AoA report looked at just 83 of these and could only find 3 in which 'autistic' type symptoms were present but none with a diagnosis of Autism.

Well, from reading your own information, this situation does seem rather startling.
I can't imagine that a parent receiving compensation, because their child has had a permanent severe reaction to a vaccine, will be particularly delighted to hear that the government has a compensation program.
I think they would be more impressed to know that the vaccines were 100% safe in the first place because the government had done all they possibly could do to make them safe, and to research the known dangers.
I don't ever remember being told by my doctor, when receiving a vaccine, about the potential risks involved. Instead, everything is swept under the carpet by governments, and we are told that vaccines are entirely safe.
Is that good science or pseudo science?

liquid sky

IVI, that blog was terrible. The guy could not have been more full of himself. "The things I do for you" was a common expression.

Bob, it would be appropriate for doctors to tell patients about the possible side effects of vaccines, but I don't see it happening. Possible side effects should be made available with the percentages of each adverse reaction listed. They know that vaccines are for the greater good and some will be harmed. It needs to be a truly informed decision.

Wayne

Vaccines are only rarely associated with harmful reactions...

Highly dubious assertion. There are numerous reports on this forum alone which describe the onset of chronic illness following vaccinations. Health care workers have one of the highest incidences of ME/CFS, with many reporting onset after receiving mandatory vaccinations. How many of these ever got reported to some "official" government body for an accurate tally? Probably none, especially since most health care workers are aware of the dire consequences of having their colleagues know they have the "yuppie flu".

How about the tens of thousands of Gulf War soldiers who developed Gulf War Syndrome (GWS) after being vaccinated with hastily prepared, experimental vaccines? Government tried to say GWS was/is psychosomatic, but how does that explain the many thousands who died within a few short years of onset.

There are numerous other points that could be made, including the whole Gardasil debacle, where dozens of young women have died, and hundreds others have developed severe neuro-immune illnesses. But it appears there's no real interest on your part to try to understand what's happening in the real world of vaccination injury.

Mark

Scepticism implies treating all information with equal questioning but with a prejudice...

...yes I have noticed that...

...against that which is logically inconsistent or based solely upon belief...

Is it logically consistent to claim to apply 'equal questioning but with a prejudice' ?

How do you determine that information is 'based solely upon belief'?

Do you in fact know that said information is based solely upon belief or do you merely believe that it is?

What is the origin of these beliefs that give rise to this information, if it is not in experiences and observations, which constitute a form of evidence?

Is the sceptic really unbiased by his/her own beliefs?

Why not apply a bias in your scepticism towards those with vested interests and power, who have good reason to distort information and the means to do so?

Why define yourself as a sceptic rather than simply treating scepticism as just one of many qualities which are required for rational thought?

Numerous businesses and special interest groups engage in this and the unrestrained use of pseudonyms on the Intenet makes validation of any one cyber identity pretty much impossible. We can all claim to be anything we want and are free to make judgements about any other Cyber Ident that we encounter, based on whatever prejudices we choose. For what it's worth my 'claim' is that I'm fervently anti, 'anti science' and I particularly dislike it being associated with M.E/CFS which is an illness in which I claim to have a special interest - however I've no intention of proving these 'claims' to anyone.

As to ORAC being funded by the US DoD - even if he was, which is certainly not what he/she claims, what would that matter ? There are very few bona fides available on the Internet, all one can do is follow interesting discussions and apply reason. Accepting unreason as 'truth' or even just 'probability' merely because it is sourced from a non corporate origin is not the application of reason. Scepticism implies treating all information with equal questioning but with a prejudice against that which is logically inconsistent or based solely upon belief - I claim to be a happily sceptical.

IVI

Numerous businesses and special interest groups engage in this and the unrestrained use of pseudonyms on the Intenet makes validation of any one cyber identity pretty much impossible

That's what I thought.

For what it's worth my 'claim' is that I'm fervently anti, 'anti science' and I particularly dislike it being associated with M.E/CFS which is an illness in which I claim to have a special interest

I'll take this as an accurate statement. I appreciate that. We probably have different definitions of anti-science though.

As to ORAC being funded by the US DoD - even if he was, which is certainly not what he/she claims, what would that matter ?

Sorry I didn;'t provide a link before, but here it is.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/about.php

In addition, Orac has been funded over the last decade by institutional funds, the Department of Defense, the National Cancer Institute, and various cancer charities. He currently receives no funding from pharmaceutical companies. Indeed, so bereft of pharmaceutical funding is poor, poor Orac that before his talks, when he is required to make his disclosures of conflicts of interest, he often jokes that no pharmaceutical company is interested enough in his research to want to give him any money. Maybe one day that will change, but for now, like most biomedical scientists in academia, he must beg the NIH and other granting agencies for the money to keep his lab going. Being a "pharma shill" doesn't seem to pay as much as supporters of alt-med think it does.

Orac is funded by the department of defense. It matters to me becuase I have no idea why the DOD would be interested in funding a blog (written in the style of ORAC's) that's supports vaccines.(ORAC doesn't reveal his true idenity, what does he have to hide working for the DOD?) Why is it their business? How big is there budget? The DOD had a biological weapons research program at one time, and XMRV was created in a lab. Is it possible their are disease in society created by the DOD? Who will ever really know? Of course the DOD is such an opaque organization we will never know the true answers to many of these questions.