• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: Vitamin E (Alpha form) suppresses beneficial Gamma form...

dannybex

Stumbled across this today:

The results demonstrate that alpha vitamin E levels increased in proportion to the dose administered. However, at every dose of alpha vitamin E, gamma vitamin E concentration was significantly suppressed. No beneficial changes in surrogate markers of atherosclerosis were observed, consistent with the negative results of prospective clinical trials using alpha vitamin E.

Our results suggest that all prospective cardiovascular clinical trials that used vitamin E supplementation actually suppressed the beneficial antioxidant gamma isomer of vitamin E. No beneficial effects on several potential cardiovascular risk factors were observed, even when the vitamin E was supplemented with vitamin C. If a standardized preparation of gamma vitamin E (without the alpha isomer) becomes available, the effects of gamma vitamin E on atherosclerotic risk will warrant additional studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19303966

Almost all vitamin E sold contains mainly the d-alpha form, which according to the above is not only worthless, but potentially harmful. I'm going to try and find some "gamma-e" without the alpha...

alex3619

Hi dannybex, this has been known to biochemists for many years. Martin Pall pointed it out in his book. All forms of vitamin E compete with each other for absorption. Synthetic vitamin E has minimal effect, but actively competes for absorption with the more effective forms. High doses of synthetic vitamin E can therefore lower total bioavailable vitamin E. Bye, Alex

dannybex

Unfortunately, most of us aren't biochemists! :(

And I may have misread it, but it looks like even moderate doses ("at every dose") inhibit or lower bioavailable "e".

Thanks Alex,

d.

rwac

You could try tocopherol-free tocotrienols, which are very good antioxidants. Tocotrienols even help with POTS.

Chris

Hi; Martin Pall knows this, and formulated a group of supplements with Allergy Research some years ago, still available and again in the news, one of which included the gamma form of E plus at least one tocotrienal; Google "Martin Pall / Allergy Research" and you will find lots of relevant stuff. Best, Chris

sflorence

Stumbled across this today:

The results demonstrate that alpha vitamin E levels increased in proportion to the dose administered. However, at every dose of alpha vitamin E, gamma vitamin E concentration was significantly suppressed. No beneficial changes in surrogate markers of atherosclerosis were observed, consistent with the negative results of prospective clinical trials using alpha vitamin E.

Our results suggest that all prospective cardiovascular clinical trials that used vitamin E supplementation actually suppressed the beneficial antioxidant gamma isomer of vitamin E. No beneficial effects on several potential cardiovascular risk factors were observed, even when the vitamin E was supplemented with vitamin C. If a standardized preparation of gamma vitamin E (without the alpha isomer) becomes available, the effects of gamma vitamin E on atherosclerotic risk will warrant additional studies.

Almost all vitamin E sold contains mainly the d-alpha form, which according to the above is not only worthless, but potentially harmful. I'm going to try and find some "gamma-e" without the alpha...

Did you ever end up finding this vitamin E? I have feeling that I have a genetic mutation that effects the levels of cholesterol and lipids in my blood. It is called FHBL (
hypobetalipoproteinemia)