• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does it make ANY SENSE not to vote for CAA to get big research $$$ in the Chase Conte

muffin

I voted for both WPI and CAA. Don't have to like or agree with CAA but they are getting research done and for that I would vote for the devil. Remember: funding for real research means a cure. Really quite simple. Vote for both WPI and CAA to get us off the couch and out of the damned bed.

Dolphin

CAA certainly has its problems, but my understanding is the money they get will go to research, so primarily to places like Pacific Fatigue Lab, the Lights, etc. This is money that isn't costing us anything except some time (and to set aside our grudges, however well-earned, for a moment and look at the big picture).

Like Dolphin said, we have a choice whether the Chase money goes to a random charity that is not saving human lives, or whether it helps research a way to help some of the most neglected people on the face of the earth (us). We also have 3 other votes (after voting for WPI and CAA), so maybe we can find some charities that help other neglected people who need maybe clean water, basic medical care, and cookstoves that don't give them lung cancer. Or other people desperately in need of medical research.
I don't think I will be voting for any other charities than WPI and the CAA till near the end I think. I would worry they would end up ahead of the CAA (and possibly the WPI). If near the end, they don't seem to be a threat to either, I may vote for other groups.

Dolphin

I realised something earlier which I thought I'd highlight:

Charities only get one shot at round 2 - after the one, both the WPI and the CAA will never be eligible again*.

So we need to make an all-out effort.

*Indeed this time next year, there may be a contest for charities with turnovers of over $1m where there are no eligible ME/CFS charities.

justinreilly

Hi mark - specifically, the poll shows that 90% of patients believe that the CAA should "change direction and leadership". But what we're talking about here is whether the CAA should get a big, free injection of cash that will go to research into our disease.

I don't understand why you think that the CAA works for big pharma. Their research grants have gone to people like the Lights who are looking at mechanisms of our disease. Unless someone spends money on research like this, we're going to stay sick. And at some point, we're going to need pharmaceuticals. How else are we going to get better?

Big pharma does profit from people being sick but does that mean that people who are sick shouldn't get medicine? Or research into their disease?

Merck and other 'big pharma' firms make lots of vaccines and if it were shown that vaccine injury is (in part or in whole) responsible for ME then their liabilities would obviously be catastrophic.

Something is very fundamentally fishy about CAA. I would not be surprised if they were supported by pharmaceutical firms, CDC and NIH and insurers.

That said, I will vote for CAA and WPI in the Chase contest because their current research program (except for the overblown overhead taken out by CAA) is good. Free money for research is good even if it goes to CAA.

justinreilly

Charities only get one shot at round 2 - after the one, both the WPI and the CAA will never be eligible again*.

*Indeed this time next year, there may be a contest for charities with turnovers of over $1m where there are no eligible ME/CFS charities.

Right! This is it. Up to $900,000. This is huge. Let's get out there for both WPI and CAA.

Potential Allies:

Other Illness/ Medical Orgs in the Contest (finalized list, place a end of Round 1):
13. Dogs for the Deaf
26. Intl Rhett Syndrome Foundation
28. Nat Marfan F
44. FANCONI ANEMIA RESEARCH FUND
53. The National MPS Society
65. FLORIDA'S VISION QUEST
69. EPILEPSY FOUNDATION OF FLORIDA INC
93. Infant Welfare Society of Chicago
96. Treatment Action Group (AIDS)
98. Cancer Care Services

markmc20001

Hi mark - specifically, the poll shows that 90% of patients believe that the CAA should "change direction and leadership". But what we're talking about here is whether the CAA should get a big, free injection of cash that will go to research into our disease.

I don't understand why you think that the CAA works for big pharma. Their research grants have gone to people like the Lights who are looking at mechanisms of our disease. Unless someone spends money on research like this, we're going to stay sick. And at some point, we're going to need pharmaceuticals. How else are we going to get better?

Big pharma does profit from people being sick but does that mean that people who are sick shouldn't get medicine? Or research into their disease?

HI Sasha. and All

I can't provide proof or links for why CAA is working with Big Pharma. However, It's my understanding the CAA helped tank Dr Elaine De-Frietas back in the 1990's by not supporting the publishing of her book that revealed a retrovirus. (I think it's detailed in Osler's web) That's enough for me.

If you look at HIV every panel out there has somebody from big pharma(even though everybody had to sue to get HIV acknowledged). There is a revolving door between Big Pharma and the CDC. Big pharma has it's own SPIN media center. I'm pretty sure Big Pharma are intimately involved in orchestrating all the stuff we go thru here for decades. Probably other special interests too.

I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face, but the CAA needs to get the message they are out of the picture of advocacy for CFS patients. Getting them funding keeps them in the loop. I want them out.

One more point. I personally am guessing drugs aren't the best solution. I think the remission lies in nutraceuticals and other immune enhancing substances. Programs fine tuned to ones genetics. Maybe a little genetherapy to correct the flaws. WHo knows for sure. I just don;t trust the Big pharma after what I think they have pulled on the public for decades.

Getting the body to cure itself like Rich Van K advocates is a better path in my mind. Just my brain fogged opinion.

markmc20001

Hi Sasha. I drew a cartoon to illustrate how Big Pharma and the CDC have taken control of our doctors and our wallets, and keep us sick coming back for more with one fell swoop. You can find the cartoon in the first post of the link.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?10862-cartoon!-Let-s-laugh-and-respond...

ANyways the cartoon covers it with very few words. Not a great artist, but you get the idea.

Big Pharma probably creates some good drugs that might help some people. However, they also have this thing with pushing a bunch of marginal drugs that have practically bankrupted the country and make some people more sick. It's a deep subject, but in my mind there are some outright criminals in that business. SOrry to get off topic on Big Pharma, but there is some very strange stuff going on around vaccines that gets my goat.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I don't think I will be voting for any other charities than WPI and the CAA till near the end I think. I would worry they would end up ahead of the CAA (and possibly the WPI). If near the end, they don't seem to be a threat to either, I may vote for other groups.

thanks, Dolphin; good advice and good info to know

*GG*

Hi Sasha. I drew a cartoon to illustrate how Big Pharma and the CDC have taken control of our doctors and our wallets, and keep us sick coming back for more with one fell swoop. You can find the cartoon in the first post of the link.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/showthread.php?10862-cartoon!-Let-s-laugh-and-respond...

ANyways the cartoon covers it with very few words. Not a great artist, but you get the idea.

Big Pharma probably creates some good drugs that might help some people. However, they also have this thing with pushing a bunch of marginal drugs that have practically bankrupted the country and make some people more sick. It's a deep subject, but in my mind there are some outright criminals in that business. SOrry to get off topic on Big Pharma, but there is some very strange stuff going on around vaccines that gets my goat.

Speaking of cartoons, you might want to check out this thread:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...ident-Obama-made-a-promise-to-ME-CFS-patients

Hopefully many can do this, and perhaps it will make a difference?

GG

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I can't provide proof or links for why CAA is working with Big Pharma. However, It's my understanding the CAA helped tank Dr Elaine De-Frietas back in the 1990's by not supporting the publishing of her book that revealed a retrovirus. (I think it's detailed in Osler's web) That's enough for me.

But would you want the CAA to lose out on up to $500,000 in research money because of something you believe they did wrong about 15 years ago?

I agree with you that Big Pharma has it's fingers in lots of pies and that it would be better if it weren't the case but we still need research into our illness if we're going to get better. Whatever level of funding CAA get from Chase, I don't think it will impact the sort of things that people on the forums object to - their public statements (which don't cost them anything to make) or their level of salaries (which will continue to be met from their existing income). They have already said that they are out of advocacy - that's a message that they have already got loud and clear.

I hope you're right about nutraceuticals etc. - but if you are, it's going to take research into the mechanisms of our illness and then clincial trials to identify what nutraceuticals we should be taking. Lots of people have tried lots of things, including Rich van K's protocol, and many get no benefit or get worse. It's far from clear at the moment how we can help ourselves with natural methods so it needs research. However, if XMRV or something similar is behind our illness, we're going to be in the same position as people who are HIV+ in that we're going to need more research on XMRV, and then many clinical trials to establish what works. And probably some heavy duty drugs (I wouldn't want to be an HIV patient without the benefits of what has come from Big Pharma, even though I agree that Big Pharma generally put the bottom line before people). That's a lot of research we're going to need, either way.

On another thread, it has been reported that the NIH have just announced at the CFSAC meeting today that they're not releasing any more money for ME/CFS research, in contradiction to what was promised at the NIH SOK meeting recently. Without money from research charities, we've got nothing. I believe we desperately need every research dollar we can get.

Dolphin

Another thing about the CAA and Elaine deFreitas is that they gave her quite a lot of money in total (over US$400,000 and that was around 20 years ago which would be equivalent to a lot more today with inflation). Maybe they should have supported her more but she would have been in a worse position presumably if she had never got money from them (e.g. because they didn't have it to give).

Dolphin

CFIDS Association of America's "BIG IDEA" for Chase Community Giving

http://on.fb.me/itklJE
i.e.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-c...at-midnight-edt-please-vote/10150260426630539
(150 word limit)

In spite of its silly-sounding name, chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is as
disabling as cancer, multiple sclerosis and late HIV disease. As many as 17
million children and adults around the world have CFS, and we still don't
understand its causes. To end the suffering CFS inflicts, the CFIDS
Association of America is building a critical mass of rigorous research that
validates the biological basis for CFS and leads to better ways to diagnose
and treat it. We're putting research first to achieve the vision of a future
in which the life-altering disability, stigma and isolation of CFS no longer
exist. Your vote will help us award grants to support new research studies
exploring diagnostics and treatments; expand our SolveCFS BioBank with more
samples and clinical information on patients and healthy volunteers; and
build a data-sharing platform to help researchers aggregate and analyze
information using powerful bioinformatics tools. Based in Charlotte, NC, our
work has worldwide impact.

Dolphin

A message from Annette Whittemore

From the Whittemore Peterson Institute Facebook page:

A message from Annette Whittemore

"As the competition moves along more charities are combining efforts. In the spirit of working together for patients, we're asking for people to use any unused votes to help support the CAA. Many have already voted for both and we thank you. Let's make medical research and patients a priority on this top 10 list for Chase."

---

Links for the two organizations are:

(i) the CFIDS Association of America: http://t.co/VZEd5Pk

(ii) the Whittemore Peterson Institute http://t.co/Ev8j2dP

---
ETA: I set up a specific thread to discuss it: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/show...temore-encouraging-people-to-vote-for-the-CAA rather than have a discussion spread over lots of threads.

Dolphin

Info. on the research the CAA funded in the last round of funding

This message was posted on Co-Cure http://listserv.nodak.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind1105c&L=co-cure&T=0&F=&S=&P=2762 :

The second round of the Chase Community Giving contest is to start on
May 19, 2011 and go through May 26. Both the CFIDS Association and the
Whittemore Peterson Institute won $25,000 in Round 1. In Round 2 they
both again are eligible for even more money. Each voter gets 5 votes
which can only be used once per charity, leaving 4 extra votes. If
these votes are not used then they are wasted and so potentially is
this great opportunity to score hundreds of thousands of dollars for
much needed CFS research. Please vote for the CFIDS Assoc. and the WPI
with your votes. Thank you.

CFIDS Assoc. contest page-
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/561683450-the-cfids-association-of-america

WPI contest page-
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/205904991-whittemore-peterson-institute-fo

Round 2: Chase will donate to the 25 Charities receiving the most
votes in Round 2 in the following amounts:
?$500,000 to the Charity receiving the most votes (rank 1);
?$400,000 to the runner-up Charity (rank 2);
?$300,000 to the next runnerup Charity (rank 3);
?$200,000 to the next two runner-up Charities (ranks 4-5);
?$100,000 to the next five runner-up Charities (ranks 6-10);
?$40,000 to the next five runner-up Charities (ranks 11-15); and
?$20,000 to the next ten runner-up Charities (ranks 16-25).

Round 2: From May 19, 2011 to May 25, 2011, users can vote for any of
the Round 2 Charities through the Chase Community Giving application
on the Facebook platform. On or about May 26, 2011, the votes will be
tallied and the 25 eligible Charities receiving the most votes will be
considered the winners of Round 2 and will share in $2,500,000 in
donations from Chase.
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/rules

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cfids.org/research/current-grants.asp

Research: Research Grants Program

The first program funded by the Association was its research grant
program. Since 1987 the Association has provided nearly $5.33 million
in direct support of CFS research studies, has hosted scientific
symposia and has cosponsored meetings to identify promising areas of
investigation.

The CFIDS Association of America issues funding announcements as part
of its research grants program. Its most recent Request for
Applications was issued on April 6, 2011. This Request for
Applications (RFA) solicited research proposals that will advance
objective diagnosis and effective treatment of CFS. Letters of intent
are due June 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm (EDT). For more information about this
funding opportunity, please visit
http://www.cfids.org/research/rfa-2011.asp.

The current purpose of the CFIDS Associations research program is to
accelerate progress toward accurate diagnosis and effective treatment
of CFS by directly supporting research studies, facilitating
collaboration among investigators and pursuing increased investment in
CFS research by public, private and commercial institutions.

2008-2010 Awarded Research Grants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the 2008-2010 funding cycle, six CFS research projects totaling
$647,940 in support were awarded, as described below.

PI Name: Gordon Broderick, PhD
Institution: University of Alberta
Title: Molecular patterns of persistent immune activation in a
post-infectious adolescent cohort

Objective: To use network analysis of gene expression and endocrine
measures to identify biomarkers that describe the events from
infectious mononucleosis (IM) to post-infection CFS.
Method: Construct immune and endocrine profiles for 12 post-IM
subjects and 12 matched controls. Examine blood from acute IM, 6, 12
and 24 months by gene expression and correlating with blood cell
subsets and endocrine measures.
Why This Study is Important:
Epstein-Barr Virus causes IM that can trigger (possibly cause) CFS.
By studying the immune and endocrine response in people from the time
of IM to development of CFS, we can identify early disease and disease
progression biomarkers.
Studying subjects over time allows identification of the series of
events that precede disease and perturbed pathways.
These markers are important for early detection, objective diagnosis,
targets for intervention.
About Dr. Broderick: Young, new investigator to CFS. Associate
Professor in the Department of Medicine since 2007. Intrigued,
engaged, innovative. Recently voted Small Group Teacher of the Year by
the Medical Students Association at University of Alberta.
Collaborators: Renee Taylor (University of Illinois-Chicago); Ben Katz
(University of Illinois-Chicago); Sol Efroni (National Center for
Biotechnology Information and Weizmann Institute)
-

PI Name: Kathleen Light, PhD
Institution: University of Utah Health Sciences Center
Title: Novel ion channel-based biomarkers in CFS

Objective: 30 to 70% of CFS patients have chronic muscle and joint
pain. Acid-sensing and ion channel receptors affect pain sensation and
in CFS, this receptor sensing system is overactive. The objective of
this study is to expand the findings of post-exercise increases in
acid-sensing and ion channel receptors on blood cells.
Method: 30 CFS (60-70% likely to have chronic widespread pain) and 30
pain-free healthy controls. Blood drawn before and after physical
exertion for 25 minutes on Airdyne bicycle. Measure cardiovascular
function and assess cytokines, acid-sensing, ion-channel and SNS
receptors on blood.
Receptors important for the sensation of pain and fatigue are found on
blood cells.
By expanding NIH-funded pilot study, investigators will identify blood
biomarkers of post-exercise pain and fatigue.
Combination of blood markers will identify CFS subtypes that will help
guide and improve treatment.
Will guide research on ways to alleviate symptoms by studying markers
in CFS subjects on certain medications and physical exercise programs.
About Dr. Light: Recipient of an NIH R21 to study neuroimmune
mechanisms in CFS in 2006; this grant will extend her preliminary
data. Very well published on the topic of pain conditions, but new to
CFS.
Collaborators: Alan Light, PhD (University of Utah) and Lucinda
Bateman, MD (CFS expert in private practice)
-

PI Name: Marvin Medow, MD
Institution: New York Medical College
Title: Splanchnic vasoconstriction is impaired by microbiomic nitric
oxide production reducing cerebral blood flow in CFS

Objective: To determine if postural hemodynamic changes cause
neurocognitive deficits as a result of impaired cerebral blood flow
and modulation of nitric oxide (NO) and reactive oxygen species (ROS).
Methods: 15 CFS/POTS, 15 CFS, 15 matched controls from same cohort as
those patients studied by Dr. Shungu. Extensive cardiovascular
measurements during tilt. Plethysmography, transcranial Doppler,
real-time cutaneous readings of nitrous oxide bioavailability and ROS.
Provides the measurements necessary to determine if chronic
inflammation and oxidative stress help explain increased brain
lactate.
Identify autonomic nervous system (ANS) subtypes of CFS.
Provides objective evidence of sympathetic nervous system
activation/excitation in CFS.
Findings could implicate the root of the problem since investigators
have noted patients develop POTS after infection.
About Dr. Medow: Established physiologist and associate director of
the Center for Hypotension at New York Medical College.
Collaborators: Benjamin Natelson, MD; Julian Stewart, MD, PhD (New
York Medical College); Dikoma Shungu, PhD (Weil Cornell Medical
College); Bud Mishra, PhD (New York University)
-

PI Name: Bud Mishra, PhD
Institution: New York University School of Medicine
Title: Translate science to a cure for CFIDS

Objective: To seek an etiologic explanation for CFS symptoms by
designing a system that combines published literature with
experimental data.
Methods: Construct a database of full text articles, existing
databases (e.g., KEGG) and develop a statistical method to capture
meaningful relationships that allows the construction of models that
describe aspects of CFS.
Unbiased approach to explain CFS (compared by reviewers to creating a
Google for CFS).
Build an invaluable knowledgebase of CFS.
Provide mechanistic explanations for CFS only possible by integrating
existing and experimental data.
Provide a suite of tools that will allow investigators to query all
aspects of the CFS system, all of which will be available to other
investigators as open access tools.
Computer hardware and software required to conduct this study would
cost millions of dollars.
Exciting discovery potential
About Dr. Mishra: Established mathematician who has published
extensively and holds many patents. 28 graduate students,
collaborations with IBM, Google and biomedical industry.
Collaborators: 29th graduate student; Dikoma Shungu, PhD (Weil
Cornell Medical College); Julian Stewart, MD, PhD (New York Medical
College)
-

PI Name: Sanjay Shukla, PhD
Institution: Marshfield Clinic Research Foundation
Title: Metagenomics approach to study chronic fatigue syndrome patients

Objective: Determine if there is an altered ratio of gut commensal and
pathogenic bacteria in CFS and if exercise increases microbe
translocation to cause post-exertion symptoms.
Method: 6 CFS and 6 household controls. Exercise challenge with stool
and blood samples taken before and after exercise. Catalogue bacteria
in stool; examine blood for inflammatory markers.
Metagenomics involves sampling the genome sequences of a community of
organisms inhabiting a common environment (in this case the intestinal
tract);
Could explain increase gut disturbance and post-exertional relapse
common in CFS;
Could provide evidence for metabolic disturbance;
Could provide evidence for chronic inflammation and immune dysfunction; and,
Could suggest intervention strategies.
About Dr. Shukla: Established microbiologist. Introduced to CFS in
2000. Novel and powerful approach, strong team.
Collaborators: Dane Cook, PhD (University of Wisconsin); Dan Frank,
PhD (Colorado University); Steve Yale, PhD (Marshfield Clinical
Research Foundation)
-

PI Name: Dikoma Shungu, PhD
Institution: Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Title: MR neuroimaging assessment of cerebral metabolic substrates
and regional blood flow in CFS

Objective: Use magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS, an advanced MRI
method) to measure specific brain chemicals. The investigators build
upon preliminary evidence showing elevated lactate in CFS patients.
Examine chemicals in blood and brain that are indicators of oxidative
stress and mitochondrial dysfunction.
Method: Compare the brain profiles between 20 CFS, 20 MDD and 20
healthy controls. Examine blood samples for markers of oxidative
stress. CFS subjects will come from Drs. Medow and Natelson.
Increased brain lactate indicates abnormal metabolism in CFS.
By expanding study to additional disease control groups, can determine
whether elevated lactate is specific to CFS.
Provides objective evidence of metabolic problem in CFS that could be
used for disability.
Findings could implicate the root of the problem causing CFS.
About Dr. Shungu: Established researcher in neuroimaging and
neurometabolism. Relatively new to CFS research, although is a past
Association grantee. Dr. Shungus earlier study was recently published
in NMR Medicine.
Collaborators: Sanjay Mathew, MD (Columbia University); Benjamin
Natelson, MD; Marvin Medow, MD; Julian Stewart, MD, PhD (New York
Medical College); Bud Mishra, PhD (New York University)
-

All research projects funded received the highest evaluation scores
for scientific and strategic merit as assessed by two independent
panels. All investigators have agreed to conditions of award
identified by the reviewers, one of which was to collaborate as the
first funded CFS network of investigators. All awardees must fully
comply with the Associations Policies Governing the Award of Research
Grants, including rigorous reporting requirements, for funding to
continue in a timely manner.

Additional Required Meetings for All Investigators:

First Investigators Meeting, January 18-20, 2009

Investigators receive background information on CFS and objective
classification of subjects and controls. Establish consistent study
entry criteria, per the hypothesis being studied
Investigators present respective studies to gain input from other
investigators and selected invited reviewers.
Link all investigators and establish active collaborations.
Ensure full understanding of reporting and other compliance
requirements for timely grant distributions.
Solidify project timelines and milestones.
Interim Investigators Meeting, September 13-16, 2009

Funded investigators present mid-term data to Association staff and
other funded investigators with generous question and answer periods
to optimize remaining stages of study.
Invited subject matter experts deliver presentations to expand context
of studies.
Strengthen ongoing collaborations
Ensure appropriate compliance with reporting and other policy requirements.
Facilitate site visits (if warranted).
2008 Research Papers by Dr. Suzanne Vernon, the Associations
Scientific Director

Published:

Smith AK, Dimulescu I, Falkenberg VR, Narasimhan S, Heim C, Vernon SD,
Rajeevan MS. Genetic evaluation of the serotonergic system in chronic
fatigue syndrome. PNE. 2008 Feb;33(2):188-97.
Fuite J, Vernon SD, Broderick G. Neuroendocrine and immune network
re-modeling in chronic fatigue syndrome: An exploratory analysis.
Genomics. 2008 Sep 30. [Epub ahead of print].
Bolshin C, Aspler AL, Vernon SD, Broderick G. Evidence of inflammatory
immune signaling in chronic fatigue syndrome. Behavioral Brain
Function 2008 Sep 26;4:44.
Ben-Zvi A, Vernon SD, Broderick G. Model-based therapeutic correction
of hypothalamic pituitary adrenal axis dysfunction. PLoS Computational
Biology, in press.
Sorensen B, Jones JF, Vernon SD, Rajeevan M. Transcriptional control
of complement activation in an exercise model of chronic fatigue
syndrome. Molecular Medicine, in press.

Submitted:

Hickie I, Davenport T, Vernon SD, Nisenbaum R, Reeves WC, Lloyd A and
the International Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Study Group. The construct
validity of chronic fatigue syndrome is supported by a multi-national,
cross-cultural study. Under consideration with BMJ.
Presson A, Sobel E, Papp J, Whistler T, Rajeevan MS, Reeves WC, Vernon
SD, Horvath S. A systems genetic analysis implicates FOXN1 in chronic
fatigue syndrome. BMC Systems Biology, under consideration.
Nater UM, Whistler T, Lonergan W, Mletzko T, Vernon SD, Heim C.
Impact of acute psychosocial stress on peripheral blood gene
expression pathways in healthy men. Submitted to
Psychoneuroimmunology.
Whistler T, Fletcher MA, Lonergan W, Zeng XR, Lin JM, LaPerriere
A,Vernon SD Klimas NG. Natural killer cell function is depressed in
Gulf War Illness. BMC Medical Genomics,