• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FIR Sauna

Hi All,

My FIR blanket arrived last week, and it's been airing outside ever since, as the intolerable chemical smell was overwhelming. It was from a highly recommended company mentioned on Dr Myhill's website, but I guess it is impossible to avoid chemicals in fabrics these days.

It was quite expensive, but as my 23 year old daughter also has ME/CFS we thought it was worth it. I'm really looking forward to trying it out, and I intend only starting with 30 second sessions as recommended to me by Dr Myhill.

Will let you know how we go with it, when it eventually is odor free.

Best wishes,

Sandra

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I recently met a man who does a lot of saunas (as treatment for Lyme). After sharing some of the difficulties I have with saunas, he immediately suggested I ingest a good amount of salt before going in. Yesterday, I did 1/4 tsp. of Himalayan salt, and had a much greater stamina than usual. Went for 27 minutes instead of my usual 20 min. or so. It didn't disrupt my sleep or give me a headache...
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I do regular FIR saunas and drink electrolytes before--we are probably getting at the same issues. I'll try the salt too.

However, I still find that doing them everyday is too much for me. I generally do them every other day.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Wayne

Electrolyte Drinks

Hi Wayne,

I do regular FIR saunas and drink electrolytes before--we are probably getting at the same issues. I'll try the salt too. ...... However, I still find that doing them everyday is too much for me. I generally do them every other day.

Hi Sushi,

I was wondering what kind of electrolyte drink you use. Might it be a homemade concoction? I seem to remember a thread where a number of suggestions were made regarding how to make them. Does that ring a bell with anybody? I think I'll try to find that old thread.

Every day saunas sounds like it would likely be too much for me, and perhaps for most people. But I now feel every other day is very feasible, given how well I've maintained after the past couple days of longer than normal saunas. Definitely had less pain in a problematic upper back area this morning upon waking.

Wayne

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi Sushi,

I was wondering what kind of electrolyte drink you use. Might it be a homemade concoction?
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I am just being lazy and using Emergen-C or sometimes unflavored Pedialite if I have it. I also take separate doses of most of the common minerals (except calcium as I am taking GcMAF).

Happy sweating!
Sushi

Forebearance

Hey, that's cool, Wayne! I'm happy for you.
I think, if I remember correctly, that I was in the FIR sauna at a health fair for about a minute. It didn't feel bad at the time. I got out because of an abundance of caution. And then as I was driving home I noticed that I was having detox symptoms. So it did have an affect on me. The arena where the health fair was held was not horrible, mold-toxin-wise, but not great either.