• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Milk thistle for liver support

My liver is overloaded with toxins and I've been told to take milk thistle, which is made from rag weed. I read that taking this would aggravate my hay fever symptoms. Does anyone know of any alternative to milk thistle? Thanks.

*GG*

My liver is overloaded with toxins and I've been told to take milk thistle, which is made from rag weed. I read that taking this would aggravate my hay fever symptoms. Does anyone know of any alternative to milk thistle? Thanks.

Natural or prescription? My Dr prescribes me cholestyramine. An old cholesterol lowering drug.

GG

Milk thistle alternative/ remedy for indigestion

Natural or prescription? My Dr prescribes me cholestyramine. An old cholesterol lowering drug.

GG

Thanks, GG. I'm after both- natural or prescription. Don't know if Cholestyramine is suitable as my cholesterol level is low.

Do you or anyone know of a remedy for indigestion? It started after lunch today and I still can't get to sleep. Tried peppermint & sage herbal tea with no effect.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Hi Zuriel. I have found over the counter Ranitidine (Zantac), a H2 blocker (antihistimine for the stomach), has been the most effective for my bloating and reflux. Don't let them talk you into getting a proton pump inhibitor. Your indigestion and hayfever are most probably connected and signs of system wide histamine reaction.

Slippery Elm is supposed to be a natural stomach calmative, but I haven't had much luck with it.

Re, milk thistle. I have used it (not sure of any effect), but it did not aggravate my hayfever.

Oddly enough, peppermint is often regarded as aggravating some GERD issues. From memory, I think this has also been the case for me.

Causes of indigestion could be gluten, sulphites or glutamates, and since you are on a CFS board, you may have intolerances to all three. What causes these intolerances? Wish I knew. I am looking at B12 methylation as a possible circuit breaker.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
N-acetyl-cysteine(NAC) is a good liver protector and used in hospitals for paracetamol/tylenol overdoses to protect the liver. I also use lipoic acid which also helps the liver amongst other things. So far my liver function has been good with all the crap(treatments) i take for cfs.

cheers!!!

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Re, milk thistle. I have used it (not sure of any effect), but it did not aggravate my hayfever.
Ditto. I love milk thistle. If I miss my sleep I get joint pain and milk thistle totallt banishes it. It must nuke some inflammatory cytokine or other. I like to take it to assist my liver since I take so many supplements. Since our health care system does not help us with vitamins and natural remedies, we try thinks ourselves, and it is my insurance that my liver won't be hurt.

Seewell

I have tryed Milk Thistle in the past - Cant really remember,but it couldnt have done alot for me
or i would still be taking it. (but different things work for for different people)

For my Toxic overload-
I drink Dandelion root coffee-I boil it up in a big pot for about an hour,that lasts for a coulpe of days.
I buy the natural root stuff not the instant(tryed it, yuk ).The only problem is you have to grind the fresh
root up before you boil it - May sound like alot of hassle - but its a great replacment for ordinary coffee.

And i also take Organic Wheat grass powder (mixed with water) after dinner -
I think wheat grass power would help with
indigestion too.
====================================================

I may try Milk Thistle again - see what happens- i could be better.

Lotus97

Milk Thistle is good for increasing glutathione. It also can chelate iron so one should be careful with Milk Thistle in that regard. Wasabi is also good for the liver and glutathione production. It's really expensive so I'm probably just going to use a small amount. BTW, wasabi powder sold as a food item is mostly horseradish and mustard. Even Wasabi at high scale Japanese sushi restaurants is rarely made from real wasabi.

undcvr

Use Artichoke instead preferably standardised. It will make your liver produce more bile and the liver will dump toxins into the bile to be removed. Alternatively you can try Dandelion or Chicory roots. Both their salads work well too in making the liver produce more bile.