• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

estriol the reason pregnancy improves symptoms

leaves

Estriol, a type of estrogen, is made in the womb of the pregnant woman. It modulates the immune system as to not attack the 'foreign body'. it is helpful in ms (but only the relapsing kind) People with ms also tend to do better during pregnancy. It can be obtained from a compounding pharmacy.
I find this story much more plausible than the blood quantity/pressure explanation.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
That is one of the three estrogens in my Tri-est compounded gel I use twice a day. I take progesterone and testosterone in gel also. I get my hormones checked twice a year. Balancing hormones is the first thing to do. The Dzugan program I am on does this and the first thing I noticed was that the migraines I had for 18 years were gone. Hormones are important for so many reasons. I take five hormones including Thyroid.

Jenny

Estriol, a type of estrogen, is made in the womb of the pregnant woman. It modulates the immune system as to not attack the 'foreign body'. it is helpful in ms (but only the relapsing kind) People with ms also tend to do better during pregnancy. It can be obtained from a compounding pharmacy.
I find this story much more plausible than the blood quantity/pressure explanation.

Hi leaves

I'm a bit sceptical about this, as my ME began during pregnancy, and it seems that one of the reasons some people's ME is triggered by or gets worse during pregnancy may be that the immune system is downregulated so that it fails to deal with the precipitating infection.

Jenny

lizw118

It seems like it can go either way for people with certain hormones. Estriol helps me a lot but progesterone is like poison to me. Progesterone is also extremely high in the third trimester of pregnancy. Plus, the shifting of the hormone levels themselves might trigger stuff, who knows??