• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE JARROWS b12 METHYLCOBALAMIN doesn;t dissolve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keenly

Hi i have this product but find it terrible.

I can keep a tab under tongue for nearly 2 hours and its only half gone!

It causes really bad jaw ache as i am trying not to sawllow any as it contains sugar.

are there any better products out there?

thanks

LaurieL

Keenly,

* You could try putting the tab between your cheek and gum. I find the upper area off to the side easier instead of directly under the tongue.

* There is another methyl B product Freddd refers to, Enzymatic Therapy methyl B12.

* You may also want to question why you are not absorbing, such as lack of saliva.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xerostomia

Basically, xerostomia can be caused by excessive clearance (such as by excessive breathing through the mouth), or it may be caused by insufficient production of saliva (called hyposalivation).

Hyposalivation, in turn, may be a sign of an underlying disease, such as Sjgren's syndrome, poorly controlled diabetes, or Lambert-Eaton syndrome, but this is not always the case.

Other causes of insufficient saliva production include anxiety, medications, or the consumption of alcoholic beverages, smoking marijuana, physical trauma to the salivary glands or their ducts or nerves, dehydration caused by lack of sufficient fluids, previous radiation therapy, and also a natural result of aging.

Laurie

kurt

Hi i have this product but find it terrible.
I can keep a tab under tongue for nearly 2 hours and its only half gone!
It causes really bad jaw ache as i am trying not to sawllow any as it contains sugar.
are there any better products out there?
thanks

Dissolving a tablet probably has more to do with moisture levels in your mouth than the tablet itself. Are you chronically dehydrated?
I have tried several and not found a better product than the Jarrow mB12, maybe you should try some electrolytes, low-sugar rehydration drinks, even keeping a little water in the mouth to assist with dissolving the tablet...

If that fails there are liquid forms of B12 that might be easier for you. Interplexus has a hydroxy form B12 that is liquid form.

jeffrez

Hate to break it to you, but not swallowing is not going to prevent you from absorbing sugar. The 'sugar' is not even really sugar (i.e., sucrose), but is a plant or fruit derivative (xylitol). It doesn't ferment like other sugars, so it can actually reduce cavities, bacteria, anti-strep effect, anti-fungal effect, etc. It's such a relatively minuscule amount anyway that it probably is not going to even do anything, but if it does, it might in fact even be beneficial to take.

Mine dissolve fine between cheek and gum, or even faster under the tongue. If yours aren't, like others have said, you need more moisture. Add a few sips of water as you take them like kurt said.

> edited:

wiki xylitol page, medical applications:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol#Medical_applications

lizw118

This happens to me too. I took some before bed in my cheeks, and woke up with a bunch of it still there.

jeffrez

I wouldn't go to sleep with something like that in my mouth - you could easily choke!

Adster

Not dissolving is a good thing. The longer it stays intact the more mb12 you can absorb. Just wish they'd take the citric acid out of the tablets.

Freddd

My problem was always the opposite, drowning in saliva trying not to dissolve it to quickly. I put it under the upper lip and get better saliva management. The Enzymatic Therapy has less acid and dissolves more easily and quicker. Keenly, xylitol is not sugar and won't affect blood sugar in the same way. You can swallow your saliva. Good luck.

Hello Keenly

I started the jarrow last week...I place mine in my upper lip for about 40 minutes then i finish it out like a lozenger. I have noticed a bit more energy so the trade off is ok by me. I have tried other B12 supplements and didn't notice any difference.

jeffrez

I always cut the tablets in half and put the two halves in different parts of the mouth. Seems to increase absorption potential.

Francelle

I get the Natural Factors brand from iHerb and place them under my upper lip (now). It takes over 30 minutes to dissolve if I don't cheat and try to hurry it along - lol!

Off the topic a bit but .....just an interesting thing that happened to me about three months ago with sublingual Methylcobalmin!!! I had been using this same product of Methylcobalamin for nearly three years under my tongue and it dissolved in about five minutes yet blood tests still showed that my levels had gone way up with the sublingual method, so I was happy......however one day I read on this board I think it was, that the longer it takes to dissolve the better!

So I thought I'd try the 'new' method under my upper lip and the tablet stayed for nearly an hour before it disappeared. But here's the exciting thing - within two hours of trying this method I noticed something amazing!!! Yikes I still can't get over it! My stiff fingers were no longer stiff and I could straighten them and they have remained that way - how awesome is that?

I was not expecting anything to happen, least of all to my fingers, especially since I had been taking the same product for a long time - all I changed was the method. I now wake up in the mornings and do not have to work my fingers slowly to get them moving.

Obviously I have no proof that is what caused the change in my stiff fingers but the timing of the event is highly suspicious - I don't know what else would have caused them to suddenly 'unstiffen' after having been stiff from June 2008 'til February 2011.

Freddd

I get the Natural Factors brand from iHerb and place them under my upper lip (now). It takes over 30 minutes to dissolve if I don't cheat and try to hurry it along - lol!

Off the topic a bit but .....just an interesting thing that happened to me about three months ago with sublingual Methylcobalmin!!! I had been using this same product of Methylcobalamin for nearly three years under my tongue and it dissolved in about five minutes yet blood tests still showed that my levels had gone way up with the sublingual method, so I was happy......however one day I read on this board I think it was, that the longer it takes to dissolve the better!

So I thought I'd try the 'new' method under my upper lip and the tablet stayed for nearly an hour before it disappeared. But here's the exciting thing - within two hours of trying this method I noticed something amazing!!! Yikes I still can't get over it! My stiff fingers were no longer stiff and I could straighten them and they have remained that way - how awesome is that?

I was not expecting anything to happen, least of all to my fingers, especially since I had been taking the same product for a long time - all I changed was the method. I now wake up in the mornings and do not have to work my fingers slowly to get them moving.

Obviously I have no proof that is what caused the change in my stiff fingers but the timing of the event is highly suspicious - I don't know what else would have caused them to suddenly 'unstiffen' after having been stiff from June 2008 'til February 2011.

Hi Francelle,

And the 5 star mb12 brands, Jarrow and Enzymatic Therapy were far more potent in the tests I ran, than Natural Factors was. You might have a real treat in store yet.