• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Are Your Most Amusing (Or Disconcerting) Brain Fog Experiences?

Graham

Senior Moment
Oh you wonderful people - you start to make me feel quite sensible at times. OK, yesterday I asked about biscuit in the oven when I meant the cake in the fridge, and today I had to work through the alphabet before I could remember my son's girlfriend's name, but that's normal - isn't it?

sleepy237

Last year before I knew what brainfog REALLY was. Now I am much more careful. Last year I had a flurry of three. 1. An egg was cooking...I had no memory of the egg it began to burn and stink! I was looking out the window to see where the smell was coming from. 2. I answered the phone and left the taps on flooded downstairs out and neighbour alerted me to this while I was mopping up the water :/ 3. Ended up on oxygen after leaving the gas on by accident but it had a safety cut out but nevertheless the symptoms of CFS was enough to get oxygen as a prevention. Now I nearly have OCD with my cooker - I probably do LOL. I use a timer and I try be mindful of what I am doing.

me2

Didn't recognize a familiar face

I just had to jump in here. Yesterday I sent my 17 year old on a wild goose chase to her dental appointment in another town (one hour drive) - except that her appointment was actually today. Uh-oh! Then there was the memorable (and frightening) time when I went to a fast food restaurant and was seated at a booth. Suddenly, I thought: Why am I here? Looking around, I realized I was at a fast food restaurant. Then I noticed a guy was walking toward my table from pretty far off. He kept getting closer. He walked all the way to the table and SAT down before my brain did that "pop" and I realized he was my husband. OMG!

TinyT

I kinda forgot how to sign my name the other day. I use my first name inital, then my last name and couldn't figure out how to spell it. Had to say it out loud before signing..... *DOH*

taniaaust1

I recently found my freezer bags in the freezer.

I know you are all thinking, well what is wrong with that?...

They were all in there completely empty!!! No meat had been put in them.

(Im thou currently doing quite well brain wise :) )

jen1177

When I call someone and it rings and rings...sometimes I forget who it is I called. Same problem with being on hold for a while.
Similar thing happens when I want to go research something on the internet...by the time I get the computer booted up and connected to the web I end up staring at the search engine trying to remember what I wanted to look up.

I also have problems signing my name. If I pause I get stuck and can't get the rest of my signature written out right. I've learned to actually not focus on my writing as I'm writing and just let my hand do what it does. Seems like if I focus my attention on it I screw it up.

And I do this one about once a week...I have something cooking in the microwave which is near cabinets and the fridge...when the bell dings I open up a cabinet door or the fridge instead of the microwave. Oy.

jen1177

Yup I've forgotten regularly if I've taken my tablets/supplements.

I also have a routine when I'm in the shower- wash hair, wash face, condition hair, wash body etc. There has been a fewoccasions where I sit there and have to seriously think "did I wash my face yet?". I've even asked my fianc a few times (we usually shower together).

The worst moment I think was when i was asked my date of birth at the hospital to confirm identity before having a test done. I got it wrong the first time! I had to close my eyes and really concentrate to get the dates in the right order. Also temporarily forgetting your bank card pin is not fun either!

I have the same exact problem when showering. Especially if I break from my routine and wash something out of order. I end up doing a "smell test" to figure out what's been washed and what hasn't. :)

jess100

At least once a week, I put the Milk in the refridgerator and the cereal in the cupboard. Once I couldn't find my keys and they were in the freezer. Another time I started the car to warm it up before I went to the store. I decided not to go to the store, but forgot the car was running. The car was running all night long until it ran out of gas. I had to get my neighbor to drive us to the store to get gas.

I hate going to the store alone because when I am done I can never find the car. So I always bring someone with and tell them to please remember where we parked the car or I put directions to the car into my ipod notes before I go in.

Another time I started the car to warm it up before I went to the store. I decided not to go to the store, but forgot the car was running. The car was running all night long until it ran out of gas. I had to get my neighbor to drive us to the store to get gas
God, this is funny (now but it probably wasn't funny when you did it) and absolutely something I would do! But I probably would have also locked my keys in the car first with the baby inside (yes, I actually did that_)

jess100

I have the same exact problem when showering. Especially if I break from my routine and wash something out of order. I end up doing a "smell test" to figure out what's been washed and what hasn't. :)
I end up doing a "smell test" to figure out what's been washed and what hasn't. :)
Ok that's really funny! and I'm not alone.....

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I use a travel mug as my regular 'tea cup'. I am steeping a tea that takes 15 minutes, so I want the lid on it so it will still be hot when done steeping. I just go up and looked all around for the lid. I finally found it already on the mug! :redface:

jess100

Wait, you actually HAVE your list when you arrive at the store? Mine is usually still at home.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have a car with electric locks. There is a button on my key fob that I can push to unlock the car (and another to lock it). This evening I pushed on the button to try to unlock my apartment door. It didn't work.

I don't have a funny story to tell. Well I do, but after reading this thread I don't really want to post any. I just wanted to say is it wrong that I draw so much comfort from all these stories? ;)

"Me too". The most reassurring words in the English language. Apart from "Yes, I can confirm you are a lottery winner" of course.....:p

Well, the other day I put my hair up, and was playing on my tablet, when suddenly I realized my hair was not up anymore. My ponytail holder was on my wrist, so apparently it had been quite deliberately done! I put it up again...and...you guessed it. Eventually I realized that MY HAIR WAS DOWN AGAIN!!! UGH!! Autopilot Me, I don't know what you're thinking, but STOP IT!! :rofl: Tied it again...no more problems after that.

I had an incident while I was driving of not having any clue what the way home looks like. It is the scariest thing. I knew where home was. I knew I was supposed to drive straight forward for quite a while. But I had NO idea what section of town was at the other end of the road, or which way to turn when I got there. :confused: Which lane am I supposed to be in?!? ...Of course, it all came back once I saw it. But still, scary!

I can't depend on my brain to do math or to get other things right anymore, so I rely on my mom to keep me straight. But sometimes I'm argue with her because I still think I'm right. :lol:

Oh and one time I went to wash my hands and tried to use the toothpaste as soap. :D

I probably have funnier ones but my brain fog keeps me from remembering them. :rolleyes:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
When I am going to stop making my mouse into my bed and then hunting for it? Where could it be, I
just had it?

images