• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One Last Goodbye: Sometimes Only a Mother's Love Can Help End the Pain

drjohn

Book by Kay Gilderdale
to be published 14 April 2011

Watching her child die is the hardest thing a mother can ever do. But for Kay Gilderdale, saying a final goodbye to her only daughter Lynn was exceptionally painful: she'd played a part in her death. Lynn was just 14 when she was struck down by the crippling disease ME, leaving her paralysed and in constant agony. Over the next 17 years, she became desperate to escape her miserable existence, even begging her mum to help her die. So, one night, when Kay found Lynn attempting suicide, she was forced to make an impossible decision. Continue watching her child suffer or help her end the pain? Eventually, fighting her every instinct, Kay helped her precious daughter take a fatal overdose. But while Lynn was finally free, her mother faced a fresh agony - a possible lifetime behind bars. The highly controversial trial that followed opened a fierce public debate on assisted suicide. Is it murder or mercy? Here, in her heartbreaking story, Kay reveals the harrowing truth behind the headlines and the desperate lengths a mother will go to for the love of a child.

Some places to buy:

From the ME Association
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/MEA-Order-Form-April-2011-use-this.pdf

may be useful if you want any other publication at same time.

Or directly from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Last-Go...9143/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301607502&sr=1-1

W.H. Smith

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780091939144

Maybe other places too. Prices vary around 4.50 + pp.
You may get pp free if you order a minimum amount, e.g 15 or 20
(presumably similar in US and Europe)
Why not buy 3 or 4 copies to give to friends and family.

Best wishes
John
drjohngreensmith@mefreeforall.org
ME Free For All.org

Min

Thank you for letting us know John, this has been on my Amazon wish list.

registering with and buying by clicking on Easyfundraising each time you buy something online in the UK raises funds for free for your chosen charity e.g. Invest in ME or ME Research UK

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/panel/

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks for listing this, John. Kay Gilderdale is enormously impressive. I'm sure her book will be of some help in our political situation in the UK.

Don't forget that if you buy via Amazon you can have part of the cost donated to MERUK or to Phoenix Rising - see my signature below for the links.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
The highly controversial trial that followed opened a fierce public debate on assisted suicide.

Sadly the issue of ME (i.e. why Lynn & Kay were in the position they were in) was almost completely absent from any debate.

drjohn

Good idea, Sasha, My copy of Kay's book arrived in the post this morning, from W.H.Smiths, a day ahead of 14 April 2011, the published date stated.

drjohn

Pleasure, Min. Yes a good idea to raise funds too. My copy arrived today from W.H. Smith, one day ahead of published date stated.

drjohn

It was, indeed, Garcia -- as I worried that it might be. However, they haven't reckoned with me and quite a few others I believe, who have no intention of shutting up about it, so long as there is breath in our bodies. Cheers John

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
It was, indeed, Garcia -- as I worried that it might be. However, they haven't reckoned with me and quite a few others I believe, who have no intention of shutting up about it, so long as there is breath in our bodies. Cheers John

Good luck Dr John!